Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is the Greatest Of All Time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Vin you are pretty darn fast yourself...
Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Vin you are pretty darn fast yourself...
I'll second that.
If you had time for more track time I think you can wheel with the best around
Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vin_Nocella
Just to Spice Things up as the all time seems to be pretty set! This list is partial to Electric Offroad.

Top 5 Local Heros:

Todd Lewis
James Shlick
Jay Robinette
Jeffrey Kinoo
Craig Chin

Is this the Jay Robinette that raced from Colorado? Same guy??? Ran for Losi back in the mid 90's. I raced with him a bunch of times, very fun guy to be around and fast too. He hung out with Jade Kurtchi and Chuck Erickson (also a couple of fast guys that were very friendly and helpful from back in the day).
Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

48 posts and no mention of Cliff Lett?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raffaelli
he was mentioned. re-read the first page.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

NC-Hopsing - Yes sir... that is the Jay I am talking about.

Back in the day of XX's and when stock was a big deal at the WinterChamps/Stock Nats it was all about Robinette, Kurtchi, Lewis etc... and some guy Steve Butts who used to do really well in stock truck at the Cactus if memory serves
Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Vin--Your forgetting a name in the current drivers list I think.... If your gonna put Fish in there, you gotta include Truhe I think. Call me biased.......... Not the GOAT, but creating a good resume for himself.......
Old 03-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

NC-Hopsing - Yes sir... that is the Jay I am talking about.

Back in the day of XX's and when stock was a big deal at the WinterChamps/Stock Nats it was all about Robinette, Kurtchi, Lewis etc... and some guy Steve Butts who used to do really well in stock truck at the Cactus if memory serves
I did alright in stock truck back then I guess..... Thats great to see Jay's racing still....tell him I said whats up!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

I hear ya... I left Truhe out because shy of the Cactus he has been hardcore nitro lately and my list is a bit partial to the current hardcore flashlight guys. He is definitely one of the top out there right now... his results certainly prove that.

There are so many great racers out there... when you factor on Touring Car, 1/12th, Nitro, Electric Offroad etc... that the list could have spanned the whole page.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Hopsing - I don't know if Robinette is still racing.

My picks for local heros were more based on guys that I recall having a very big effect on the local scene. I am from the North East so my list is a bit skewed... but I know the CO guys always held Robinette in high regards (not to mention a very nice guy in general when I met him).
Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Hopsing - I don't know if Robinette is still racing.

My picks for local heros were more based on guys that I recall having a very big effect on the local scene. I am from the North East so my list is a bit skewed... but I know the CO guys always held Robinette in high regards (not to mention a very nice guy in general when I met him).

Ahh, gotcha.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by raffaelli
Repeating that Cliff has been mentioned. One thing I've noticed, going back to my first tour of duty in the late 80s thru mid 90s, and confirmed while pitting next to Brian Kinwald last summer as well as several mentions in driver interviews: Mr. Lett is very well respected by his peers. Being a hero to our heros says something I would suggest.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DRRC

Dakotah and his parents were very accomodating helping me with my gearing issue in SRS, thanks
It seems way early, but yeah, the Phends are fabulous people. Nancy helps out with any and everything at any event, Doug is always willing to talk and help, gives parts away, whatever he can do. Dakotah is an A student, frequently reads between rounds, polite to everybody, never gets mad (doesn't need to!). Absolutely the perfect definition of a class company representitive in IMO.

We call him the Prince of RC. No fun getting whipped by a kid barely old enough to ride a bicycle around the block by himself, but we can't help but cheer him on.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default First post

This is my first post, but ive been in the sport for a long time, being born in the early 70's and obviously in my 30's i saw a lot of the old guys. I left the sport for 15 years and have returned recently and cant believe the progress. Its amazing, i remember being in awe of the " stealth" tranny when it came out and graphite chassis' were incredible. A lot has changed. But when the sport was in the its infancy Jay Halsey was a God, and Gil Losi always wore hats that were too big, and was over shadowed by Pops's, but was very talented, and the Dunn Brothers, not yet mentioned, were the first to innovate and create aftermarket parts, ie. 4wd conversions for the RC10, they may not have been the best drivers, though not too shabby, but they started the aftermarket, which is huge now. What about PEP motors they were ahead of their time. Cliff lett won a few worlds and was a better designer, I hear he is still in the sport, and this was all going on while Kinwald was in diapers and the rest of the " new guys " werent even born. Everytime a new class came came to popularity Jay Halsey would build a car and go win the worlds, he as done this three times then capitalize on the aftermarket, while new guys came up and made it more popular than a old guy can, then he would make aftermarket parts while the whole time laughing all the way to the bank. I wager a guess that if Gil and Jay and Cliff were to race full time, they would rack up a few more wins than most would give credit too. They realize the money is not in winning, its in selling parts and cars, Jay, and heading up huge corporations, Gil, and designing winning vehicles for the best brand on the planet, Cliff, the old guys are still here and its good to see.

P.S. Masami is agreeably the best pure Driver!

Thanks for reading,

trout
Old 03-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

How about going back a little further, many consider Arturo Carbonnel one of the greatest ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.