R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Who is the Greatest Of All Time? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/212774-who-greatest-all-time.html)

Hodapp 03-18-2008 03:52 PM

Who is the Greatest Of All Time?

I thought I would start this thread just to get peoples opinions on who they think is the greatest of all time in the world of RC Racing. I think that the Greatest Of All Time should be judged on many categories other than just being a talent at driving. To be the Greatest Of All Time you have to be a role model for kids to look up to. You must be approachable by the normal people that pay for their stuff and make it possible for you to get paid to race RC Cars. You must compose yourself when things are not going your way and take the good with the bad. There are sooo many other ingredients that are required besides the few that I just mentioned to be considered as The Greatest Of All Time.

Here are my top 5 Greatest Of All Time drivers. I look up to and have tremendous respect for these guys. They are not only amazingly talented drivers but are also very approachable and true ambassadors for the world of RC Racing. You would never see any of these guys hold the throttle wide open and drive their cars into the spectators when things were not going their way.

1. Masami Hirosaka
2. Joel Johnson
3. Brian Kinwald
4. David Spashett
5. Mark Pavidis

FlyByWire 03-18-2008 04:04 PM

I like your list, great topic.

The one guy that I was NEVER affraid to walk up to for advice, was Matt Francis.. I think he deserves a considerable nod as well..

Running the same track as Maifield every week, Ive learned that he's a good guy as well.

BuggyKing 03-18-2008 04:25 PM

those r the greats.

Dave H 03-18-2008 04:28 PM

Can't argue at all with your list. Number one doesn't even seem discussible.

But three cheers for Bud Bartos! Perhaps it happened, but I never saw him lose the 12 year old kid in himself, and I mean that with the utmost respect and awe. Smiled even more when he occasionaly screwed up, very quick to encourage schmucks like me. And he is fast with everything!

devin4444 03-18-2008 04:29 PM

There are more drivers

not home 03-18-2008 04:31 PM

kinwald
francis
cavilari (mind my spelling)

DRRC 03-18-2008 04:39 PM

I was a the Cactus classic last week and it was my first time to see the big guns of racing and was overwhelmed at how fast and accurate thier driving was

1. Masami Hirosaka - very approachable, unassuming and a classy guy. You can talk to him anytime and he gives time to talk to people and always with a smile even if he loses the race. As Jeremy or Jimmy said "he is the best RC racer ever" with 51 Japanese championships and 14 World championships

2. Tebo - he flies when he drives and as one annoucer said he tracks or hunts you down, doesnt hurt to be world 4wd champ and Cactus 2wd and 4wd winner

3. Cav and Maifield - young guns that are always fast and consistent in anything they race, heck you always see them battling it out for the lead most of the time

JamesnMeyer 03-18-2008 05:03 PM

A good list but what about Gill Losi Jr? He was a racer once and was always approachable to a young teen back in the day.

Hodapp 03-18-2008 05:03 PM

Along with the lists you people submit, how about list 3 other positive qualities that your choices bring to the industry besides just being fast. We are looking for the "TRUE" Greatest Of All Time.

AndyMoore 03-18-2008 05:11 PM

Obviously Masami is the undisputed number 1 guy. Perhaps their overall contribution to rc should be considered as part of their greatness as well, Cliff Lett, Gil Losi Jr, Jay Halsey, etc; drivers who have crossed over into design successfully.

I know this isnt electric off-road, but Lamberto Collari has quite the record as well.

MOmo 03-18-2008 05:17 PM

IMO:

+1 Masami Hirosaka

He is ALWAYS Consistant, and considering the # of world titles under his belt, I think he is tough to argue w/ the 14 World championships he's won. Always a positive influence, always in a good mood. In everything I have read about him, i don't think i have ever read anything negative about him.

Joel Johnson has a ton of onroad titles as well. He's tough to beat as well. Regardless of current contenders. he has been a huge influence on Trinity in the 90s as well as his influence in onroad racing.

Gil Losi Jr is another influential person. People may not know he used to run an AE in the very beginning of his career. Its great to see him with Kyosho and I await his influence on their product. He too is an incredible standup guy. Very approachable.

I think there are some young up-and-coming- racers out there, Tebo, Cavalari, Mayfield etc. And they are showing some great talant. They bring alot to the sport and seems like they are above the hype and the attitude often affiliated with Factory or sponsored drivers.

momo

jokerkd 03-18-2008 05:23 PM

BMAG!!!!!

devin4444 03-18-2008 05:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8583...eature=related
Cavalieri and kinwald at Trackside.

SiR_Dave 03-18-2008 06:09 PM

It has to be this crazy fool:sweat:
http://www.teamyokomo.com/japan/news/DSCN2075.JPG

Stefan Millay 03-18-2008 06:21 PM

I think Brian Kinwald is one of the greatest racers of all time. Kinwald supports his sponsors very well and he is a very approachable guy. Plus his dedication towards maintaining his rc cars.

Another great racer that isnt on the list is Jesse Robbers. Robbers will help you with anything you need.