Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1115Likes

Team Associated B7 and B7D

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by alavigna
Where are people finding the upgrade aluminum steering arms and rack?

Thanks
Same part numbers at the B6.4

91983 - Bellcranks
91984 - Steering Rack

Be careful, on dirt/clay the aluminum steering rack makes the car very nervous in uneven surfaces.
RogerM likes this.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AmiSMB
If you look at Neil Craggs car from RHR in the pictures looks like he is running a heavier bulkhead (brass by the colour so would be 30g) as well as a steel plate under the servo and an extra 10g lead weight:-

It is also interesting that he has the lower rack spaced by 2mm just like we did with the B6.4 when using a B6.x rack instead of the B6.4 rack for 30 degree caster for these Schumacher Cut Stagger tyres to work properly.
It also appears hes running 1.9 front pistons with 37 weight oil...pretty genius how he writes it right on the chassis, I've never seen that.
twistert1 and AmiSMB like this.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MrLean
It also appears hes running 1.9 front pistons with 37 weight oil...pretty genius how he writes it right on the chassis, I've never seen that.
i’m going to start writing piston/oil on my lipo weight. Less visible and easy to clean off 👍 Will please my OCD tendencies more too 😂

I might even write it on the underside of it!
MrLean likes this.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Our indoor carpet season is done at my local club, 1066 Racing, Overall I really like the B7, it’s a weapon. Boring debrief for you all:

I haven’t quite got the B7 as dialled as my 6.2 was, but that had the short chassis and all the many carpet specific mods developed over the years of the B6 range.

I’ve only broken one ball cup, and I’ve crashed heavily a fair few times 😂 Seen plenty of people do the idler gears, but nothing else on the car is a major worry to me. Will probably go aftermarket for those next indoor season.

Due to work schedules I’ve only had 3 club meetings and a BRCA regional with the car so I’m not too concerned it’s not bang on yet, haven’t had it long enough.

Last club night I won both legs of the B final, the regional I qualified 15th from 40 then had awful finals, just the way it goes sometimes! A little ahead of where I felt I'd be with the 6.2 in terms of results.

Outdoor season incoming, bought a B74.2CE and I’m excited to build it. Our club has worked super hard this winter and we’ve found the funds to go astroturf instead of grass outdoors, so hopefully no more Thursday night mowing parties 😂

On a side note, saw all the Willspeed parts for the car at the regional, as always really nice stuff, will deffo be getting some. Heard a rumour they’ll be doing idler gears and some other very interesting stuff soon 😉
RogerM and BuggyFan21 like this.

Last edited by andrewcoley; 04-29-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

There is also another shot showing he used 2mm holes with 30w for the rear too
https://site.petitrc.com/setup/assoc...4/RW104607.jpg
MrLean likes this.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

….and 2.0 with 30wt in the rear.
Im on exactly the same on bumpy astro and its very good.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by daz_75
Do you think that's preferred position for any weight up front or would the willspeed steel bulkhead be preferred at 30g and further upfront?
I don't know the mass of the Willspeed bulkhead but ideally you would want to keep the mass as centred as possible to keep the car agile, especially in fast direction changes. That said a little additional mass in the front can help numb the reaction of a twitchy car and pick up a bit of mid corner steering.

Originally Posted by BuggyFan21
I think the magic of the B7 is it's high corner speed - keeping the weight more central rather than in the nose is probably going to help maintain that.
Absolutely. We have tried adding a little weight to the front but most have agreed that about 15g extra in line with the front axle is about the most you would want outdoors (maybe a little more id possible on carpet)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
I was gonna try tungsten putty as well as the steel. I think that should be around 2-3 gms more in that space. I like the way it drives without any weight though, but I like the car to naturally nose down off throttle on jumps, (could do it with lighter oils or drag brake but hate both ). Could always brake to get it land better but lets see have both on order.
Tungsten putty is a good shout for tuning, you can put around 15g in the front bulkhead and there is room for about 5g either side of the servo mount.

Originally Posted by AmiSMB
If you look at Neil Craggs car from RHR in the pictures looks like he is running a heavier bulkhead (brass by the colour so would be 30g) as well as a steel plate under the servo and an extra 10g lead weight:-

It is also interesting that he has the lower rack spaced by 2mm just like we did with the B6.4 when using a B6.x rack instead of the B6.4 rack for 30 degree caster for these Schumacher Cut Stagger tyres to work properly.
That is a prototype steel bulkhead on Neil's car, several others had them too, I am expecting them to be available on the CENTRO brand soon. They weigh 14g more than the kit aluminium bulkhead.
Steering rack is lower as he is using a low front axle height and a reasonable amount of total castor and it is always preferable to lower the rack than use lots of spacers under the outboard ball stud due to the way the forces transfer through the steering tie rod to the chassis.

As a collective we have been trying to build setups without lots of additional weight in the front of the car to preserve the primary benefit of the B7, the fact that it carries fantastic corner speed.
It does seem like we are having to move towards adding weight around the front though as the Schumacher tyres seem to demand it. Remember what I have always said about not being able to substitute static vertical loading with geometry changes and that setup being all about giving the specific tyre what it needs .... well yeah, sadly we seem to be stuck with the LP cut stagger for a while longer :'(

daz_75, andrewcoley and BuggyFan21 like this.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:45 PM
Tech Rookie

I've been struggling for acceleration and top speed with my B7, suggestions seem to be that this is the case due to the extra friction with the 5-gear transmission. Running in 17.5T stock with 33/72 gearing. Pulling the pinion tooth count back to 30 didn't seem to make much of a difference in punch, and had the downside of being even slower down the long back straight at my local track. Focussing on corner speed got me down to a 30.3 second lap at my local track, I really need to get into the 29's to be in the game with the fastest guys running 28's as hot laps.

I've pulled my motor timing back from 55 to 42, hoping to gain some torque to overcome the friction and gone back to the 33T pinion and will test again later this week.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-30-2024, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drumondo
I've been struggling for acceleration and top speed with my B7, suggestions seem to be that this is the case due to the extra friction with the 5-gear transmission. Running in 17.5T stock with 33/72 gearing. Pulling the pinion tooth count back to 30 didn't seem to make much of a difference in punch, and had the downside of being even slower down the long back straight at my local track. Focussing on corner speed got me down to a 30.3 second lap at my local track, I really need to get into the 29's to be in the game with the fastest guys running 28's as hot laps.

I've pulled my motor timing back from 55 to 42, hoping to gain some torque to overcome the friction and gone back to the 33T pinion and will test again later this week.

Any other suggestions?
Why the huge swings in pinion size? Try a 32t or 31t pinion. Lower timing is what you needed, and maybe lower drive frequency on the esc. Maybe try a trinity thin aluminum pinion or the polypro or similar plastic pinion. Maybe a slipper eliminator.

Personally I'm going to get some narrowed cut gears (or maybe cut them myself I have a lathe now) and some ceramic bearings for my stock build. Yeah the 5 gear has more drive line drag but its not THAT bad.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
Why the huge swings in pinion size? Try a 32t or 31t pinion. Lower timing is what you needed, and maybe lower drive frequency on the esc. Maybe try a trinity thin aluminum pinion or the polypro or similar plastic pinion. Maybe a slipper eliminator.

Personally I'm going to get some narrowed cut gears (or maybe cut them myself I have a lathe now) and some ceramic bearings for my stock build. Yeah the 5 gear has more drive line drag but its not THAT bad.
It's what I had on hand and my local store didn't have anything between 30 and 33.

I've pulled back the drive frequency, hasn't really given me what I needed. Timing seems like the last game in town (before I pull apart the transmission and rebuild), will test this afternoon.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I've decided to run this instead of the Mugen. Unfortunately, kits are nowhere to be found especially the dirt version. Any leads in the US? Thanks
Old 05-01-2024, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Hobbytown Hobbyplex in Omaha, NE Had one on the shelf this weekend

elnitro likes this.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ironically I bet Hoosier RC hobbyplex in Indiana also has some for sale. They usually have a big stock of everything as its quite a big hobby store and a big track.
elnitro likes this.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elnitro
So I've decided to run this instead of the Mugen. Unfortunately, kits are nowhere to be found especially the dirt version. Any leads in the US? Thanks
NIB B7D
elnitro likes this.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elnitro
RCMadness had some in stock (shows on the site as in-stock still) https://rcmadness.com/product/rc10b7-team-kit/
elnitro likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.