• 1 Post By Pistol123
  • 1 Post By DirkW
  • 2 Post By Alexv2024

Mod Racing - Motor Selection - Transmitter Settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 08:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Mod Racing - Motor Selection - Transmitter Settings

For mod racing, it seems I always see questions regarding what motor people should run. Why not just go with the lowest turn like a 4.5 or 5.5 and just use EPA and EXPO to tune it down to where the user is comfortable? Would that make more sense rather than investing in different turn motors? I've never used it, but I know some transmitters have a feature called Punch that you can adjust as well.

Wouldn't using transmitter tuning be more affordable as well for most racers?
Old 12-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I feel that it is always best to use the most appropriate wind and rotor for the application. When you use epa to limit the top speed the throttle curve is effected. Expo also makes a non linear feel through the curve as well
Kraig and RogerM like this.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mod makes all the settings that change how the car behaves useful, to an extent.

For say 2wd mod on dirt, you don't really need to go below a 6.5, most people run a 7.5. Most people run a 6.5 or 5.5 in 4wd on dirt. Take a turn off for carpet.

But yes after that, rotor tuning is important. Then depending on grip level I'll run 90-100% epa/dual rate on the throttle to change power to how well I can use it.

Example when I was learning a layout and changing between practice tires and stuff, I had my 4wd mod down to 80%. Then after getting tires right, and learning the layout I was able to use 95-100% of the motor after that.

Frequency, punch, dead band, slipper settings, and other stuff. Everything becomes more critical in mod since you have 30-50% more power.

I run on dirt so I have a 7.0 in my 2w and I have a 6.5 for my 4w going to get a 6.0 soon. And I tune D/R and epa to tailor power to the layout and other factors. But don't go crazy low turn way beyond your skill. Its not needed. Running the motor turned down will help it last a long time though especially compared to stock.
RogerM likes this.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
...And I tune D/R and epa to tailor power to the layout and other factors...
Why use D/R? That'll bring the EPA for both throttle and brake down together. Just because it's easier to access on the fly?
brian mills likes this.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

I really like the feedback I'm getting, this is quite informative, thanks to everyone who has commented.

I found this site that explains settings pretty well for those interested who are not experts of tuning throttle.

https://www.trackstarrc.net/blogs/ne...itter-throttle
Old 12-07-2021, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Don't use trim/sub trim for drag brake tuning unless you're on track and its just so broken you can't do your qualifier.

It wont let the esc go to neutral and might have issues turning on. Most escs need to see the radio in neutral to fully arm and be ready to race.

Plus its a super coarse adjustment compared to changing the esc settings.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

A guy I race with does that for dirt oval. He's running a 4.5t w the EPA turned down to suit. It takes motor selection out of the equation for a bit.
--Alex
Old 12-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cromulent
Why use D/R? That'll bring the EPA for both throttle and brake down together. Just because it's easier to access on the fly?
Not necessarily so. At least my radio has separate D/R for throttle and brake, only steering does left and right equally.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW
Not necessarily so. At least my radio has separate D/R for throttle and brake, only steering does left and right equally.
Odd, I thought that was the "dual" in dual rate. How does that differ from EPA?
Old 12-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Not much difference for throttle. D/R settings are easier to adjust quickly and settings are visible on default screen.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cromulent
Odd, I thought that was the "dual" in dual rate. How does that differ from EPA?
My understanding is the EPA is set then you can't go beyond that point to protect the servo, then you use the dual rate to adjust as the conditions require knowing you cant go beyond the end point and damage anything.

On Sunday we raced on a damp/wet slippery astro track, I managed my fastest lap in the first round of qualifying and my car just wasn't right, no really power or punch and when I crashed it would then go. Turns out that one of my motor wires was only just connected, I will be turning everything down in future as I didn't go any quicker when I was vack up to full power. Every day is a school day.
ray4624 likes this.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pistol123
My understanding is the EPA is set then you can't go beyond that point to protect the servo, then you use the dual rate to adjust as the conditions require knowing you cant go beyond the end point and damage anything.
That is true for a servo (i.e. steering), but usually you calibrate the ESC to the radio for throttle, so EPA can stay at 100%.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirkW
That is true for a servo (i.e. steering), but usually you calibrate the ESC to the radio for throttle, so EPA can stay at 100%.
do you know if you have to set the throttle and brake dualrates back to 100 when re-calibrating an esc?
i do anyways but it would be nice to not have to
Old 12-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Whenever you're setting up an ESC you want DR EPA all at 100% and no expo or curve or anything like that. The ESC gets the signal from the radio and doesn't know its changed in anyway.
RazorRC and ray4624 like this.