Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree25Likes

1/10 F1 racing OZ style

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just ran the narrow front end. I didn't read up on the rules prior to the event. So I didn't know that I could maybe run the wide front end.

That's good to see that there was 5 Yokomo F1s. There was at least three in the AMain.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz
That's good to see that there was 5 Yokomo F1s. There was at least three in the AMain.
Im happy with mine
Even after only 1 race meeting with it i was almost on the pace of my Exotek.

If only i can get my hands on the updated parts, but thats another story.....

I am curious on how everyone is setting up their servos ??

Beth.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by evochick
Im happy with mine
Even after only 1 race meeting with it i was almost on the pace of my Exotek.

If only i can get my hands on the updated parts, but thats another story.....

I am curious on how everyone is setting up their servos ??

Beth.
Kit for me. Although I do want to try the Steering rack method. Just don't like the price for them.
I was lucky with the updated parts. Hootrc bought them down to AOC for me.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Kit for me. Although I do want to try the Steering rack method. Just don't like the price for them.
I was lucky with the updated parts. Hootrc bought them down to AOC for me.
hi dan

do hootrc carry spare parts for all the yokomo range or is it limited stock

graham
Old 07-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Professor
hi dan

do hootrc carry spare parts for all the yokomo range or is it limited stock

graham
At the moment it only looks like they are carrying parts for the TC and off road cars.

There is also a new distributor in Aus that is supporting the racing side. Get your local Hobby store to Contact RC wholesale.

Apart from the version one axel the car seems strong. It stood up to CC at castle hill last month in the hands of both me and Chara. We both had some big hits.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At the moment it only looks like they are carrying parts for the TC and off road cars.

There is also a new distributor in Aus that is supporting the racing side. Get your local Hobby store to Contact RC wholesale.

Apart from the version one axel the car seems strong. It stood up to CC at castle hill last month in the hands of both me and Chara. We both had some big hits.
Ryper Hobbies in WA also carry a lot of Yokomo stuff.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

thanks dan

glad to hear you are liking the new f1

graham
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Kit for me. Although I do want to try the Steering rack method.
I didnt have a full size servo to throw in the car, so i have been trying to get a decent setup with a low profile one, I think i have it close to the optional rack.

The steering arm angles with a full size servo scare me a little.. I like my way better
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 F1 racing OZ style-20130712_123845.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCformula1
Useful learning from last weekends Asian On road Championship in Melbourne on CRC (Ozite) carpet with Ride R1 control tyres:

Once we figured out the best use of the traction compound the Ride R1's offered excellent grip on the CRC carpet.

The Ride R1's showed no issues with coming unglued on CRC carpet (this is a common issue on asphalt).

Tyre wear was almost non-existent.

The following cars entered and ran the Ride R1 tyres:

6 x Tamiya F104v2
5 x Yokomo YRF001
2 x Tamiya F104 X1
2 x Tamiya F104W GP (200mm front - 180mm rear and came 3rd and 4th)
1 x VBC Flash04
1 x Hiro Factory
1 x Top Rebel R-F01
1 x 3Racing FGX
1 x Speed Passion SP-1
1 x Tamiya F104 Pro
---
21 total

There were no 3Racing F113's at AOC but Will Haines is currently fitting Ride R1's to his and plans on running it this Sunday at TFTR (weather permitting).

From the results of the above I believe that running control rubber tyres for F1 does not disadvantage a particular chassis. But happy to discuss further if needed.

Cheers

Dave
My partner, who is a scientist and published researcher, was quick to point out that such a declaration doesn't pass basic scientific scrutiny - with such a small sample size, which is heavily biased towards cars < 200mm, taken at one event, the ONLY thing you can conclusively say is that on CRC (Ozite) carpet, running a control tyre was not a disadvantage to any particular chassis, at THAT event.

You cannot declare that it would not, or could not, be a problem elsewhere.

Based on my observations of the last club meeting I attended, I could just as easily declare that on painted concrete surfaces, a standard 200mm car running the R1 rim and tyre combo with no other modifications(200mm front, 180mm rear), is approximately 2 laps slower over 6 minutes than a 200mm car using correct F103 rims and tyres, but its no more valid a statement, and certainly not grounds to formulate a National rules set.

IMO opinion it is a mistake to use this one event as a blanket example for all to follow. I also a feel its hypocritical for people to be banging on about the virtues of "scale appearance" etc and then as soon as something like this comes along, simply revert to the "force them to be all the same" routine. I fully realise that I am probably putting myself on the outer by saying so.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I support Ride control tires for any big event and I am happy with I as club meeting tires too.

Yes Pits tires are faster but in general you need to carry few more sets of different compounds due to weathers. The cost on Pits tires already high and to carry few more sets really a bit too much for me as a second class fun races.

For Ride, most car kit on the market are compatiable as either Hex style or axis. $40 for front and rear if no crash tires last for more than 3 meetings. Tires slower than Pits as they simply understeer so which mean easier for beginner, for people being competitive enough will know how to setup the car and gain back steering. My fastest lap time on Templestowe track with Ride tires are the same as Pit 471/472 combos for winter.

For cracking tires, simply just put CA glue on the sidewall before run.

Just my 2 cents

Zenkins
Old 07-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
My partner, who is a scientist and published researcher, was quick to point out that such a declaration doesn't pass basic scientific scrutiny - with such a small sample size, which is heavily biased towards cars < 200mm, taken at one event, the ONLY thing you can conclusively say is that on CRC (Ozite) carpet, running a control tyre was not a disadvantage to any particular chassis, at THAT event.

You cannot declare that it would not, or could not, be a problem elsewhere.

Based on my observations of the last club meeting I attended, I could just as easily declare that on painted concrete surfaces, a standard 200mm car running the R1 rim and tyre combo with no other modifications(200mm front, 180mm rear), is approximately 2 laps slower over 6 minutes than a 200mm car using correct F103 rims and tyres, but its no more valid a statement, and certainly not grounds to formulate a National rules set.

IMO opinion it is a mistake to use this one event as a blanket example for all to follow. I also a feel its hypocritical for people to be banging on about the virtues of "scale appearance" etc and then as soon as something like this comes along, simply revert to the "force them to be all the same" routine. I fully realise that I am probably putting myself on the outer by saying so.
The information which he presented also does not support "From the results of the above I believe that running control rubber tyres for F1 does not disadvantage a particular chassis." as there were no results presented to support such a statement.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

On the wide vs narrow debate... I actually ran both this weekend, switching over in the middle of qualifying, and then set my fastest run in round 4. I am awaiting the final results file at the moment (seems like the result on LiveRC are not correct, as I did a 21 in round 4, and it says a 20 on the results sheet, which sounds like a Practise round) which should be up later this week...
But I can say that the car was faster with the wide front end... but it was very close. You can't really get a better comparison than same car, same driver, same track, same tyres...
Also, given that the car was setup very close to my outdoor setup (except in the rear) I would be quite confident that that it'll also be as good, if not quicker, outdoors... that I'll be testing today.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I also ran last weekend at the AOC event, with my Yokomo F1 with wide front end.

With the control Ride R1 F104 tyres, the front end was approx 205mm and the rear near enough to 190mm. Having the option to build the car narrow or wide, I went wide with the rationale that my biggest issue with F1's in the past has been getting rear traction, and that a narrower rear would equate to better rear grip. I did worry that a difference in the F/R track widths might adversely effect handling but decided to give it a go regardless, as I had nothing to lose and no delusions of finishing anywhere near the podium place-getters.

In the early qualifying and race heats I struggled with rear grip, but it was more a result of not scrubbing in the tyres at all and not applying the traction compound properly. By the last race (too little too late) I had the car pretty well sorted and the wide front/narrow rear configuration did seem to be pretty quick. I'm not a skilled driver even at the best times, however I was lapping only 0.5 secs or so slower than the fastest guys, which for me is an achievement. Not having raced for 18 months, and prior to that another 2 years or so was also a factor but I felt that with the traction compound, the Ride R1 tyres were great on carpet and the car setup with wide front/narrow rear was pretty darn good too.

I personally have no issue with control tyres being specified for any chassis for any surface...yes there may be more performance for a particular chassis to be gained by a different tyre, but it levels the playing field surely, and I don't believe my wide fronted car was at a disadvantage to other narrow fronted cars by having to race on tyres specifically made for narrow fronted cars.

I don't have any scientific data to back this up...purely anecdotal.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by defcone
The information which he presented also does not support "From the results of the above I believe that running control rubber tyres for F1 does not disadvantage a particular chassis." as there were no results presented to support such a statement.
The "results" referred to was the table immediately above that sentence showing different car widths, etc.

However, let me retract that statement and let's take a step back and clearly articulate the issue at hand.

This discussion started with the following comment:

Originally Posted by ShadowAU
I do hope that the pseudo "excluding" of 200mm cars at bigger events doesn't gain momentum. The Ride R1 tyre may be convenient for event organisers who seem to think a control tyre is needed but it does effectively rule out anyone that might want to run a 200mm car, without modifications. Given that the Australian rule set allows 200mm cars it does seem unusual to me that, people can consider making event rules that prevent their actual competing somewhere. The AOC is a prime example, where it appears only 2 different tyres were considered, both unavailable for 200mm cars unless modified to 180mm or 190mm.
I read the above - and correct me if I have picked up your intent incorrectly - as a concern that some cars might not be able to compete at an event where control tyres are specified. In particular the concern was that 200mm cars could not use the control tyres specified. The example given was the AOC event and the control tyres commented on were Ride R1.

I then gathered data and provided it in a table showing each brand of chassis, the width of that chassis and whether F104 tyres will fit on that chassis. I also specified the 10 different chassis running at AOC to which Ride R1 tyres had been successfully fitted.

So my conclusions from facts gathered are:-

1. At AOC the Ride R1 control tyres were able to be fitted to all 10 chassis that competed (a number of which had 200mm front ends).

2. Of the Chassis listed on the table that weren't at AOC: Tamiya TRF101 (should fit - will test), 3Racing F113 (fits with small mods - will post an article in due course - photo attached), 3Racing F109 (only if use F104 front end - discontinued chassis), WRC F-180 (fits), WRC F-200 (unknown, not imported to Aus and no reply to enquiries).

3. The assertion that there is ' "excluding" of 200mm cars at bigger events' by specifying control tyres is therefore not correct. Most, if not all, 200mm cars should be able to use the Ride R1 tyre.

Therefore if event organisers choose to specify control rubber tyres then RC Formula1 is happy to work with them on choosing a suitable tyre for the conditions.
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 F1 racing OZ style-p1010046-copy.jpg  
Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Tech Addict

Will Haines talks us through the very simple process of fitting Ride R1's to your F113.

Fitting Ride R1 wheels to your 3Racing F113

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.