Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2011 AARCMCC On Road Electric National Titles - West Coast Perth WA 16-21st November >

2011 AARCMCC On Road Electric National Titles - West Coast Perth WA 16-21st November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AARCMCC On Road Electric National Titles - West Coast Perth WA 16-21st November

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
Looks awesome Patto, so want to see that beast in action next time your ever over this way...

I don't quite get Mini as a sanctioned class, as a fun entry or demo class I don't see the issue, but focusing more on a true race worth chassis classes makes more sense to me, like I can see 8th electric being big one day, cause it has that potential to be epic, maybe in a simular way to how 8th off road electric is taking off now.
We've never defined what we think should be the criteria for sanctioning. Is it popularity alone, or is something else required? We'd all agree we have to support the IFMAR classes but of the others what criteria do we apply?

For me, a new class has to offer a unique driving challenge. It can't be like something we already have (unless it's providing a feeder class, i.e. just the motor is different like in Stock).

I think Mini is a viable class. The challenge of Mini lies in their difficulty to set up. Mini isn't a beginners class beyond club level. It's very technical. The cars themselves aren't quick, but they are quirky. They are FWD, we have no other FWD class. This makes Mini a class that appeals to seasoned drivers with technical know-how. The type of driver who is good at Mini isn't the same type of person who is good at any of the other classes typically. That's what it is about, it's different to everything else. That's what makes Mini a valuable sanctioned class.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wylie27
Mini got sanctioned as it is a popular class. It always attrwcts good numbers, the racing is always close and they are fun to watch and drive..

I watched the 1/8th scale video. God help us if that got sanctioned those massive fields would just be overwhelming..

If 1/8th scale snooze cars got real popular for a extended period then maybe it will become a sanctioned class..
just going over the cost of it all. and most people have the batteries already, normal touring car packs, would only need 4 of them. Speedy and motor combo can be sourced for $250 or less, and tyres around $45 a set. just for reference, i opened 3 boxes of tyres (sets) one set i used friday arvo , and up to Q4. can be used still, but a little low. i then cycled the remaining 2 sets, for Q5 and scrubbed in the other set for Q6. then used for the 3 finals. both those sets are still like new. so really after the purchase of the car and electronics, it really is quite cheap racing. you add up some practice tyres for Mod, and the 5 sets used for the racing. and already its cheaper. motors are a little more expensive, but the speedies are around the same price. the cars are built to take the punishment, i flipped it and landed int eh fence in Final 2, and away i went again. the wear factor is less, means less maintenance. for any track that doesnt allow tyre additive, its not needed with Foams.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
just going over the cost of it all. and most people have the batteries already, normal touring car packs, would only need 4 of them. Speedy and motor combo can be sourced for $250 or less, and tyres around $45 a set. just for reference, i opened 3 boxes of tyres (sets) one set i used friday arvo , and up to Q4. can be used still, but a little low. i then cycled the remaining 2 sets, for Q5 and scrubbed in the other set for Q6. then used for the 3 finals. both those sets are still like new. so really after the purchase of the car and electronics, it really is quite cheap racing. you add up some practice tyres for Mod, and the 5 sets used for the racing. and already its cheaper. motors are a little more expensive, but the speedies are around the same price. the cars are built to take the punishment, i flipped it and landed int eh fence in Final 2, and away i went again. the wear factor is less, means less maintenance. for any track that doesnt allow tyre additive, its not needed with Foams.
Interesting to do a cost comparison.. M05 $90, motor speedy combo $100, battery $45. Oil filled shocks $35 and sweep tires 35 and your racing.. Cheap sanctioned and popular to boot.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sounds like it was a great event, besides the usual couple of issues, which happen at every meeting.

I hate to see all this arguement over mini rules, COULD they be refined further, YES, DO they need to be refined further, MAYBE, SHOULD the ignorant bastard who blatantly cheated, be outed ABSOLUTELY.

We went through all this drama for the WA states regarding the 12th scale oval body, and any common man can see that TC rims dont belong on a mini.
Its unfortunate that it got beyond the pre race inspection, could have been handled before any cars turned a wheel.

Again to the individual involved, you should crawl away and hide in a corner with you head low.

The the remainder of the competitors, and official well done on a successful race meeting, i hope it can help to rebuild EP ONR in perth going forward.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting to do a cost comparison.. M05 $90, motor speedy combo $100, battery $45. Oil filled shocks $35 and sweep tires 35 and your racing.. Cheap sanctioned and popular to boot.
2 different ends of the spektrum. Mini is fun, good racing i agree, but it is slow.
8th EP is a load of fun, its fast, and i am sort of comparing to Mod racing, quite cheap. but same skill involved and driver ability. Mini is for fun, and i see you guys enjoy it heaps, there is no doubting that, but you have to respect the guys who race Mod, 8th EP etc, it is the same fun they have, just on a different scale, and expense. im not bagging mini drivers, or why they have fun with such slow cars, but i think thats why its fun, all same sort of speeds and rolling over each other, that is your fun. My fun is to go as fast as possible with my 8th, and i have that same amount of fun. so please respect that.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

2 different ends of the spektrum. Mini is fun, good racing i agree, but it is slow.
8th EP is a load of fun, its fast, and i am sort of comparing to Mod racing, quite cheap. but same skill involved and driver ability. Mini is for fun, and i see you guys enjoy it heaps, there is no doubting that, but you have to respect the guys who race Mod, 8th EP etc, it is the same fun they have, just on a different scale, and expense. im not bagging mini drivers, or why they have fun with such slow cars, but i think thats why its fun, all same sort of speeds and rolling over each other, that is your fun. My fun is to go as fast as possible with my 8th, and i have that same amount of fun. so please respect that.
I have the utmost respect for the mod guys. They drive a very fast and do it well. Your asking for respect but your questioning whether mini should be sanctioned which is showing mini drivers no respect..

The fastest mini i have EVER seen/ raced against is owned by a 12th/mod driver.

For the record i used to drive mini's but drive stock at the moment.

Happy to leave it at agree to disagree though
Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

how many mini's were there , how many 1/8th's!!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

I have the utmost respect for the mod guys. They drive a very fast and do it well. Your asking for respect but your questioning whether mini should be sanctioned which is showing mini drivers no respect..

The fastest mini i have EVER seen/ raced against is owned by a 12th/mod driver.

For the record i used to drive mini's but drive stock at the moment.
i think you will see Craig said unsanction mini. i was simply saying if it gets unsanctioned, which i know it wont, that id like to see 8th get sanctioned. but one day, i know it will happen, i have sent a PM asking what is required. so as i said, im not bagging the mini drivers, they make up a good part of our Club here, and they all have fun doing it, but it took one to spoil it.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by my t2
how many mini's were there , how many 1/8th's!!
yeah yeah, laugh now. we may have a full field starting next year. and im sure other parts of Australia will catch on to this great racing. laughing is different to smiling, which is what you do after you drive an 8th. can ask Simon ,Corey, or Chris. we are working on it, lets just say that.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Miami
Fantastic event!! Huge thanks goes out to the club for putting in such a huge effort to put together a wonderful event. Also congrates to Simon for dominating once again. The event was run perfectly and you could tell everyone in the pits was having a great time and enjoyed themselves. The track was a lot of fun to drive on and I would rate it as one of my favorite tracks I have ever run on, you are certainly very lucky to have it as your local. Again a big thanks!!

Andrew Abbott.
Hi Andrew

Cheers mate, the committee worked hard to put on a good show for everyone, thanks for the compliment about the track

Some intense racing in those finals
Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i think you will see Craig said unsanction mini
It was a tongue in cheek comment, i was just referring to the debate when it was originally sanctioned Not sure 1/8th onroad would go real well at SMA

Anyway back to the event chit chat
Old 11-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

Well done everyone involved. Good fun. Can i get the pictures of Mod podium and the pictures taken of my car with trophy please? Also any on track pictures?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
It was a tongue in cheek comment, i was just referring to the debate when it was originally sanctioned Not sure 1/8th onroad would go real well at SMA

Anyway back to the event chit chat
seems anything said , cant be taken lightly when it comes to mini. so just goes to show why the rules were pushed past the point over the weekend.
i agreee, 8th isnt for every track. but the tracks that could handle them, im sure it would be great. ones closed down that used to be Gas tracks, this is how we sort of got started. so never say never. every class has to start somewhere, and this is whats being done here.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by s.nicholson
Well done everyone involved. Good fun. Can i get the pictures of Mod podium and the pictures taken of my car with trophy please? Also any on track pictures?
will see what can be done, i know one person who was taking pics. will try to contact them tonight.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (94%+)

Originally Posted by s.nicholson
+1

Chris Stack

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.