xb4

Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM
  #61  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (114)
 
GSM Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,372
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Ready to go

well just need to add tires and away we go
Attached Thumbnails xb4-xb4-photo.jpg  
GSM Storm is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 03:17 PM
  #62  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GSM Storm View Post
well just need to add tires and away we go
Nice one Gazza did you start that at 12.01 this morning?

Peter
pedro150 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM
  #63  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
doorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: sydney.
Posts: 5,913
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Just finished building my xray xb4,
It was an easy build,,instructions are clear and understandable,love the tight fit of all screws and fittings,did need to pretap all holes,which made life easier in the long run,
ballcups are nice and tight,,,I run stock so I fitted a 72 tooth spur with slight mod to spur,the drivetrain runs extremly free with the gear diffs,,
looking forward to getting it dirty,,

Glued up some PROLINE tyres,
Programmed my new NOSRAM esc,
Charged my ORION batteries, and took it for a run on the road ,,
I love it,feels awesome on the road ,can't wait to get it on the track,,

Love the car,,need to get the Tshirt,,haha,,

Thanks to HEI for hooking me up with a nice peice of kit,,

[Did I get enough product placement in ?.lol.]

Last edited by doorz; 12-29-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: advertising,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
doorz is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM
  #64  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (14)
 
urismo21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 357
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

What spur did you use? Also, picked me up one of these cars and looking forward to getting it on the track in stock also.

Thanks
urismo21 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 PM
  #65  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
doorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: sydney.
Posts: 5,913
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Assc,,just had to ream centre hole and take the inside lip off,,
you'll see what i mean,,
doorz is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 PM
  #66  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (58)
 
sdt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toy Heaven
Posts: 568
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Totally agree on the XB4
My 13 year old is building it and he is finding it good to build compared to his old car.
Nice fitting and precise build.
Awesome car so far.
sdt1 is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 AM
  #67  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Dos Andos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,569
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Has anybody in Australia run their car yet and had any issues with the shock towers breaking or diff gears stripping? Just curious...
Car went together really well and looking at it on the bench can't see there is going to be much of a problem like on the other thread.
Going to try and take it for a run Monday so I guess we'll soon see...
Dos Andos is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 AM
  #68  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Falcon#5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Posts: 911
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dos Andos View Post
Has anybody in Australia run their car yet and had any issues with the shock towers breaking or diff gears stripping? Just curious...
Car went together really well and looking at it on the bench can't see there is going to be much of a problem like on the other thread.
Going to try and take it for a run Monday so I guess we'll soon see...
Did you sand the shock towers, if so, how much?
I'm wondering whether I should fully round the edges, or just take off the sharp edge?

I'll be definitely running the slipper loose, so hopefully that will prevent any diff problems.
Falcon#5 is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 AM
  #69  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (114)
 
GSM Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,372
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dos Andos View Post
Has anybody in Australia run their car yet and had any issues with the shock towers breaking or diff gears stripping? Just curious...
Car went together really well and looking at it on the bench can't see there is going to be much of a problem like on the other thread.
Going to try and take it for a run Monday so I guess we'll soon see...
My son ran his on a indoor clay track down the Gold Coast on Friday, 6.5 turn motor with boost and a little turbo, had a few hits, no issues at all, kit clay setup, 5K front / 2K rear diff oil, only other change we did was raised the front roll 1mm.

When the video I took is ready to load to youtube I will post a link, overall very happy with the buggy, when is the 2wd comming out

Regards
Gary
GSM Storm is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 03:13 AM
  #70  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Dos Andos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,569
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Falcon#5 View Post
Did you sand the shock towers, if so, how much?
I'm wondering whether I should fully round the edges, or just take off the sharp edge?

I'll be definitely running the slipper loose, so hopefully that will prevent any diff problems.
To be honest Falcon I have never ever sanded any carbon fibre on any kit I have ever owned. Be it 1/10th or 1/8th, on or off road, or any brand of kit.
They say to do it to stop the sheets of fibre splintering and separating...
Not to say its not a good idea but in my experience shock towers normally crack or have fractures before any delimitation becomes an issue. Besides I doubt super gluing the edges will stop the towers from snapping...
Anybody else?
Dos Andos is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 AM
  #71  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Dos Andos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,569
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GSM Storm View Post
My son ran his on a indoor clay track down the Gold Coast on Friday, 6.5 turn motor with boost and a little turbo, had a few hits, no issues at all, kit clay setup, 5K front / 2K rear diff oil, only other change we did was raised the front roll 1mm.

When the video I took is ready to load to youtube I will post a link, overall very happy with the buggy, when is the 2wd comming out

Regards
Gary
Thanks Gary look forward to the footage... When's the next big meet up there?
Dos Andos is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 AM
  #72  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
KalEl63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 3rd Rock
Posts: 1,996
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I didn't sand and glue mine either.
I am hanging for my Motor and ESC to get here so I can take it for a spin
KalEl63 is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 AM
  #73  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Falcon#5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Posts: 911
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dos Andos View Post
To be honest Falcon I have never ever sanded any carbon fibre on any kit I have ever owned. Be it 1/10th or 1/8th, on or off road, or any brand of kit.
They say to do it to stop the sheets of fibre splintering and separating...
Not to say its not a good idea but in my experience shock towers normally crack or have fractures before any delimitation becomes an issue. Besides I doubt super gluing the edges will stop the towers from snapping...
Anybody else?
Thanks Dos.
Do you think it would it be worth using larger washers on the shock mounts and ball studs as suggested on the other thread?


Originally Posted by KalEl63 View Post
I didn't sand and glue mine either.
I am hanging for my Motor and ESC to get here so I can take it for a spin
I'm hanging for some spare time so I can actually start the build.
Falcon#5 is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:19 AM
  #74  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
blade954's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,199
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Falcon#5 View Post
Did you sand the shock towers, if so, how much?
I'm wondering whether I should fully round the edges, or just take off the sharp edge?

I'll be definitely running the slipper loose, so hopefully that will prevent any diff problems.
Best thing is to just run a bead of CA glue around the CF shock towers this helps reduce splintering down the track, We have been doing this to the Xray CF shock towers since they came out on the 1/8th gas cars... And will be doing the same on the XB4. No need to round edges the track will do that over time.....

Also when you put the CA glue on do one side at the time I put ours in soft jaw vice and let dry totally before spinning around to do the other side. or you may well end up with white finger prints near the edge. I have seen guys run them with out CA and over time they started to delaminate and have a swell type affect near the edge, But in saying that they were very well used.
blade954 is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 AM
  #75  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Dos Andos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,569
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Falcon#5 View Post
Thanks Dos.
Do you think it would it be worth using larger washers on the shock mounts and ball studs as suggested on the other thread?




I'm hanging for some spare time so I can actually start the build.
Larger washers wouldn't hurt. Not convinced it will make a massive difference though. I'll be running the car stock standard out of the box. Pretty confident in the cars durability, mind you wouldn't be the first time I was wrong
Dos Andos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.