Wiki Posts
Search

On-road Midwest Series

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default On-road Midwest Series

I have been thinking about this for some time. My question is would this attended and supported both by the racers and tracks?

An On-road series in the Midwest of both Rug and Pavement racing.

Areas: (First I have not talked to any of the track owners, just using examples below)
Rug:
The Track, IL
Grand Rapids, MI
Red Mosquito Raceway, OH
Fort Wayne, IN
Kankakee, IL
St. Louis, MO
or any others...

Pavement:
Red Mosquito Raceway, OH
Leisure Hours, IL
Toledo, OH
or any others....

Number of races: Not sure but thinking 3 and 3. Could be 4 and 3.. Open to discussion...

Classes: (note: All races are 8 mins)
Stock TC 17.5, Blinky
TC Mod
VTA, VTA Rules
USGT, USGT Rules
1/12th 13.5, , Blinky
F1, F1 Rules
and Break out class (anyone can run, with any onroad car, with any motor, at any weight, with any battery. (No Tech), A lap time will be set and if you go below this, your lap does not count.

Format: (this is be very interesting....)

All races are 8 mins
Round 1: Sign up will define the starting order
Round 2: Invert Round 1 starting order
Round 3: High Points to the rear (Person currently in 1st based on points)
Round 4: High Points to the rear (Person currently in 1st based on points)
The point here is the winner is defined by skill and consistency, not luck of one race.

If more then 1 heat, Odd car numbers swap with another heat, the point is allow everyone to race with each other. So the faster cars will have to deal with the slower cars....

No Qualifiers

Points of each race define the finishing order for the day. Think Reedy format..

Drops - Personally I say Zero for the rounds, and maybe 1 or 2 for the races.

Tie breaker: # of races attended

Break out - everyone starts on the same line (like Motor Cross)

Awards and Lunch at the last race.

Entry fee: 25.00 ($5 goes to awards)

So let the comments fly....
Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

More pavement, less rug
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trytowin
More pavement, less rug
Personally I'm with ya on that one, but.... Let's face it... not many Pavement tracks... So what does a person do?

Last edited by bvoltz; 08-27-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Let's do this Barry I would totally race that
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Howard just told me that he would be able to run, if we add a scalpel class... If you want to know more about Scalpel, have a look at this: Scalpel Link
Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Howard just told me that he would be able to run, if we add a scalpel class... If you want to know more about Scalpel, have a look at this: Scalpel Link
I don't run the slow car class, even mod on carpet is too slow for me.....I am current racing this class...."How many days to complete a on road car?"
Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I like it, but I'm way to ADHD to follow a new set of rules and I don't really care about them that much. Just have a race where there are people and it'll be great no matter what the rules may be.

Although, I'm not sure I have enough battery in my car to make 8min runs in mod TC. I may have to move past the 5000mah packs I have?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

IMO it is a decent idea, but won't really get a big crowd traveling.

That's just how things are now. In the summer, the majority of people are not driving all over to make this local "big" series races. We run what's closest and what we think is fun. It would seem like a decent amount of effort with little reward.

I'm with Howard...next race is 2017.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Ok... let's break this in half...

Travel is one side and format the other side...

Here is why the change in the format (my view), asking myself is off-road so popular...(I will leave out how I really feel about off-road, as it does not matter...) Howard said to me... "It is forgiving"... Not many will stick with some thing when they can have no chance. In off-road you can be down a half a lap (in most cases, club racing) and still have a chance... with on road, a half lap is equal to "I hope he breaks because it is the only way I have a chance."
Yes... I know.. but you try to tell someone that leaving the hobby to suck it up.... they will just move on to something else... That is a fact we we need to try something different. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is just plain "Stupid"... There I said it...

So the change in format is to make on-road more forgiving.. to reward constancy... While it will not equal the level of off-road, it does make people work on driving skills and give them more a chance. I'm not married to this format... but it is something different and we should be able to try and adjust... To the level of every race... get feed back after round 2 and the round 4. Be willing to talk it out...

The reason for the break out class, is supports fun and driving skills for newbies... Look on that format a Ken (the current man on fire) has the same chance as the newbie... this would support fun and hopefully keep them coming back... until they are ready to move to a different class.

Again... Please keep the view points coming...

I'm just sharing where my mind is at and why... not that is right or wrong...

On the travel I get it... because I'm one that does not travel because of money and job issues... I would like to, but I don't...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
I like it, but I'm way to ADHD to follow a new set of rules and I don't really care about them that much. Just have a race where there are people and it'll be great no matter what the rules may be.

Although, I'm not sure I have enough battery in my car to make 8min runs in mod TC. I may have to move past the 5000mah packs I have?
Not really much different then now... You take your car out, you put on the track and you go when you are told to go... This format is line up, go on the tone, just like a main....

Yep, mod was the one area of concern but we should test it... run 7 mins and see how much you pump back in...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus
I'm with Howard...next race is 2017.
What is 2017? Just asking...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think this would be fun because it is so different. I like the format because it leans towards consistency rather than the luck of the draw or whatnot. If looking for another pavement track, we run Formula R/C on pavement here in Green Bay. Its not a permanent track but I'm sure we could figure something out if your interested. Also, would the vta rules be USVTA or ROAR VTA?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You know I'm down for whatever... definitely prefer Summer asphalt over carpet, if it extends into the colder/inclimate months then carpet is a no brainer.

Someone puts it together, I'm there. Let's keep onroad alive and well.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

It's not mainly the format that kills onroad. It's the actual car.

2017 is when Howard and I are planning next to race.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus
It's not mainly the format that kills onroad. It's the actual car.

2017 is when Howard and I are planning next to race.
What about the car is killing on-road? The reason I ask, with VTA and USGT... TC 17.5 is still a very big class....

LOL on the 2017....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.