Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
2009 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing >

2009 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Hobbytown USA St. Charles Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

kufman - I've bought some good nimh packs recently that are reasonably priced and there good for the stock Slash class. I wouldn't call Traxxas stupid. It's probably one of the best selling r/c vehicles out there. I would guess that a lipo cutoff would raise the price. The truck's gearbox is brushless ready.

Solara - I'm aware that HTU has a GT3 class. The guys I race with started the class there. It is a very good class, but to compete in that class there are no restrictions on hop ups or chassis, which is fine. We wanted to try a class where it's more restrictive on hop-ups and gear ratio and it's a cheap chassis. It would be similar to a touring car version of the stock Slash classes being run all over the country. I know this doesn't appeal to some racers, and if there are too many classes class it could be combined with another class similar to the real world sports car racing. It wouldn't be too hard to separate points. In fact it might be neat to do an enduro for touring cars sometime where you have all the different classes running together.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Solara - I'm aware that HTU has a GT3 class. The guys I race with started the class there. It is a very good class, but to compete in that class there are no restrictions on hop ups or chassis, which is fine. We wanted to try a class where it's more restrictive on hop-ups and gear ratio and it's a cheap chassis. It would be similar to a touring car version of the stock Slash classes being run all over the country. I know this doesn't appeal to some racers, and if there are too many classes class it could be combined with another class similar to the real world sports car racing. It wouldn't be too hard to separate points. In fact it might be neat to do an enduro for touring cars sometime where you have all the different classes running together.
Fair enough...as long as HTSC is not cutting the race day to 1 qualifier and 1 main or 1 qualifier and go home, I care the less HTSC has a class called "Match-box spec racing"....
Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
MD
Tech Champion

I think what really need is a Hot Wheels Spec Class or a Pinewood Derby Class.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MD
I think what really need is a Hot Wheels Spec Class or a Pinewood Derby Class.
We have Pinewood Class already....we called it 'SILVER CAN CHEATER CLUB" racing....
Old 03-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
We have Pinewood Class already....we called it 'SILVER CAN CHEATER CLUB" racing....
LOL!!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
kufman - I've bought some good nimh packs recently that are reasonably priced and there good for the stock Slash class. I wouldn't call Traxxas stupid. It's probably one of the best selling r/c vehicles out there. I would guess that a lipo cutoff would raise the price. The truck's gearbox is brushless ready.
Anyone who makes a new design for an ESC in this day and age and doesn't put a LVC on it, is stupid. Plain and simple. This is especially true for a company like Traxxas who sells primarily to beginners and kids. The veterans of the hobby don't need LVCs, we know better, it is the beginners that need them before they kill a lipo on the first charging.

Until Traxxas does away with their plastic motor mount, the Slash, Bandit, Rustler and Stampede will never be brushless ready.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Solara - Pinewood Derby and Silver Can racing are similar.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
Anyone who makes a new design for an ESC in this day and age and doesn't put a LVC on it, is stupid. Plain and simple. This is especially true for a company like Traxxas who sells primarily to beginners and kids. The veterans of the hobby don't need LVCs, we know better, it is the beginners that need them before they kill a lipo on the first charging.
RTR nitro products, that ton's of RC newbies are buying, don't come with a throttle control spring or a fail-safe. I always thought that was odd.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
I'm just thinking out loud here...

I'm going to be racing stock touring and I'll be new in off-road this year with my "secret weapon" I've been working on this past winter (btw Mark, I plan on winning the off-road trophy this year ).
Matt, I don't feel like spending $1,000 on my secret weapon "off road" touring car for this season. Going to race 17.5 stock touring car and Slash stock. Not sure about a third car. I've got a old TC that could run something else but I don't like silver can motors - mostly because mine are slower than the other guys
Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mark.davis
...I've got a old TC that could run something else but I don't like silver can motors - mostly because mine are slower than the other guys
Why not USVTA rules Trans Am. It looks like we have four for the class already. If it's the "Vintage" car you ran last year, it wouldn't require much work. Just a new body and some 4-cell batteries. I'm sure the guys with the 21.5/LiPo setups are going to be faster than us, but you get more racing for your money with 8 minute mains.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
Anyone who makes a new design for an ESC in this day and age and doesn't put a LVC on it, is stupid. Plain and simple...
I've never liked Traxxas products. The only thing of theirs I've ever owned was a Villain Deep V boat that I got in some sort of big R/C bundle swap or sale many years ago and sold the same way. However, I wouldn't call them stupid. From an engineering stand point, maybe. Their engineers (if they have any) probably designed an LVC and then the sales and marketing people probably cut it out to control costs and hit a price point. They know that most of their audience won't even know what an LVC is or why they would need one. Since Traxxas controls so much of the R/C car market, they probably feel they don't have to cater to us of technical minds. That makes them more like Evil than stupid!

Last edited by beemerfan; 03-29-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MD
Solara - Pinewood Derby and Silver Can racing are similar.
I know...thats why I said, it is "aka" silver can racing...cause "modification" of something SHOULD NOT be modified is very common.

I have went thru this with several friends of mine that their son are in the boy scout and they are totally clousless about building the Pinewood car...I showed them couple website about these pinewood "cheater" club and they withdraw their son racing it because they won't allow to let their son to spend $200 to build a $5 pinewood car JUST to win from their friends who their father is a GM mechanic and some stock car racing mechanic.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Solara- Over 20 years ago I went through it once with my son. He carved the car, he painted it, and was very proud. When we got to the race they had weights, graphite powder, etc. There were a lot of very pretty cars made by the parents of some of the other kids. I'm sure it's worse now.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Why not USVTA rules Trans Am. It looks like we have four for the class already. If it's the "Vintage" car you ran last year, it wouldn't require much work. Just a new body and some 4-cell batteries. I'm sure the guys with the 21.5/LiPo setups are going to be faster than us, but you get more racing for your money with 8 minute mains.
Yeah, real vintage sounds good to me. I was looking for something to do with my 13.5 motor and 4 cells are no problem for an old 1/12th scaler. Just need to get a body, the 61 Impala wasn't cutting it

You going to race the Slash endurance? Sounds cool to me and need a team member.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mark.davis
Just need to get a body, the 61 Impala wasn't cutting it
that's a joke right? who makes an Impala?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.