Wiki Posts
Search

Outback RC Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Outback RC Raceway

Wow! This thread has grown. Maybe some of the early info is outdated now. To jump forward to the latest scheduling info, keep an eye here:up-to-date stuff

Old thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...rc-2008-a.html

It is 2009. The outback is anticipating:
Hopefully more water-retentive dirt (via sawdust mix)
More air and longer drive line
2009 RC Pro NCCS series http://rcpro.rcsignup.com/nccs/
And an actual schedule and class structure:

I am encouraging 1/10th:
Rookie
2WD open
4WD open
2WD truck open
Spec Slash

Let's forget the attachment and use this instead. Please comment on any schedule improvements before we set it in dirt:
[schedule now on web site and not duplicated here, to avoid mismatch.]
Attached Files
File Type: doc
2009OutbackRC.doc (50.0 KB, 471 views)

Last edited by BobWoodhouse; 04-28-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: move schedule
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default 2009 Schedule

The 2009 schedule is now set in dirt. No longer preliminary.

It can be seen on the main web-page. Hope to see you then.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Default SLASH Series Flyer

NCCS Series Flyer
Attached Files
File Type: doc
OutbackNCCS2.doc (197.5 KB, 384 views)
Old 01-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

I have been fiddling with the basic 2009 layout and have found a plan I really like. It is attached. The squares are meant to be 10' by 10'. The run line is 480 feet, which should be a 30 second lap at a typical average lap speed of 11 mph. The infield has a 5-hump rythm section followed by the "big jump" leg, then quite a sweeping back "straight", then the wagon wheel. Let me know of any suggestions before we break dirt in April.

The schedule for the track:

Doors open at 10:00 AM
Races start at 1:00 PM
Sunday Event
10 May Warm up day: open house, timed practice
17 May RC Pro NCCS Club Race 1
24 May Closed - Memorial Day Weekend
31 May Club Race

7 Jun Untimed open practice
14 Jun RC Pro NCCS Club Race 2
21 Jun Untimed open practice
28 Jun Club Race

5 Jul Closed - July 4th weekend
12 Jul RC Pro NCCS Club Race 3
19 Jul Untimed open practice
26 Jul Club Race

2 Aug Untimed open practice
9 Aug RC Pro NCCS Club Race 4
16 Aug Closed
23 Aug Club Race
30 Aug Untimed open practice

6 Sep Closed Labor Day Weekend
13 Sep RC Pro NCCS Club Race 5
20 Sep Untimed open practice
27 Sep Club Race

4 Oct Untimed open practice
11 Oct RC Pro NCCS Club Race 6
18 Oct Untimed open practice
25 Oct Club Race
Attached Thumbnails Outback RC Raceway-track2009a.jpg  
Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 AM
GSP
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Track

Bob
It looks like a nice layout and it could be tough but, with stock Slash and I would think a lot of beginners do you think it would work for that? I like it but I have been racing for years.

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

GSP,

I was thinking about that. I like the way you homed-in on that issue. I will probably look at smoothing over and knocking down the wagon-wheel humps to where it is not too harsh (maybe like the small kicker bump in the middle of my 2008 track you can see in the video). I was thinking the Slash might be able to single-double-double or maybe just single all of the rythm part. The "big jump" area might be OK for them to just roll over the 2 mounds. I noticed a Slash driver who really enjoyed driving his Slash through the roughest part of my straight because you could watch the suspension do a lot of work, so I actually want some rough that akes the Slash more entertaining / fun to watch.

I am going to start building the track in April. Anybody who wants to check it out will be able to stop out at any time and see how it's looking or run some packs.

[edit, add]: If the wagon wheel is the main tough part, I could make a bypass gate that skips the wagon wheel for either rookie or slash heats ???
Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Lookin' Good

Hey Bob,
The layout looks good! I like how you just went ahead and made a schedule-I will be there as my schedule permits. I will bring my B44 and Slash.
Nick
Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

The new layout idea looks good. So have you decide to expand the track at all? IMO it would be a great idea. I like how you incorporated some jumps this year and I think you are in the right track The jumps are a crucial part of an RC track. They make the racing more fun and more challenging. Keep up the good work. I can not wait to visit in the spring
Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default nice track layout

Bob, I also like the look of the track. My son and I will be there when we can with our slash's and two new B44's.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Wow! You guys are getting my all excited now. I want to go break out the snow shovel and the pick axe. You all are going to make me buy a Slash, too, aren't you?

Boomerrw, Yes. While 2008 was about letting people know the track existed, making a drivers' stand, and getting a scoring system, the main focus in 2009 is to get a good size and shape track and try to get the dirt watering down to a science [edit: AND the NCCS Slash Series!!!]. I am pretty much set on the sketch that I attached a few posts ago, as far as overall size. It makes it pretty much a normal sized outdoor track. I have to make sure, though, that I keep the back straight easily viewable from my drivers' stand, so I might have to make it bigger or slightly banked. I also have to watch that the big jump does not lure cars to jump over onto the back straight.

I think in 2010, I will work more on the pit areas if I see that people like coming out, and I see where folks prefer to pit at. Right now, it is more like setting up card tables or using your hatchback as a pit area, so as you come over in 2009, let me know what needs to happen to make it better next.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

I understand that you are aiming at the newcomers but you absolutely need to incorporate jumps. I myself am NOT a racer at all, and have never competively raced on a track. I can tell you though that the jumps are a crucial part of the track appeal and not only make it more fun to drive but more challenging. Your layout is nice. You say you plan on expanding which would be awesome and IMO a very good idea. This is just my .02 cents and I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming season. Keep up the good work!
boomerrw,
I stole this from the outback2008 thread, so that thread can stay further down than the 2009 thread. You can see the new layout attached below, here. If you haven't raced before, I highly recommend trying it out. I remember when I first went to a race track, and it is a bit different. You can come out on a scheduled practice day, or a day not even on the schedule, or even better, a race day and run the rookie racing class. Many folks, when they first start racing, will have habits of over-shooting turns and jumps, which will be very likely on my track, but it does not take too long to catch on (especially if you like drifting). Finding a good tire for the track will be the very first challenge -- a decent sized pin (such as a step-pin) seems to be the right direction as far as we know so far.
Attached Thumbnails Outback RC Raceway-track2009a.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Idea!

Hey Bob I just had an idea!Maybe you could have one table set up specifically for everyone to plug in their chargers and have one soldering iron plugged in ready to go. This would eliminate the need for a lot of extension cords and reduce the risk of fire and tripping hazards. Have the table set up in the shade and maybe have a fan blowing across it. I trust others to not mess with my charger and batteries.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Chimer,

I have never seen that done, but it is neat. I still often have a plugin for my transmitter to charge up.

BTW, I left a couple of the banquet tables out during the summer. I will tell you that the flake/chip board does not survive too well outside, even in the shade -- it takes in water. I think I need some purpose-built tables out there, but early in the season, it will be best if folks bring their own card table.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey Bob

Just wondering what are the rules for Slash ?

I'm totally looking into getting one of these set ups.

back to my roots of racing off road i guess

thanks
Tom
Old 02-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

You can see some of the description at our home page http://www.outbackrc.com. The Slash you see there in the movie had a Mamba Max with 4600 combo -- it was a handful to drive, but that driver was quite skilled with it.

The rules are at this link: http://rcpro.rcsignup.com/nccs/rules.cfm

Since this class is a spec class in a "national" setting, I will have to be pretty picky for Slashes in the NCCS series. Basically, a Slash out of the box would fit for sure. If lots of folks prefer modified Slashes outside of the NCCS rules, we will have to figure out what is fair, as I am not sure if they would fit in with 2wd Truck (T4's, etc.).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.