Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Outback RC 2008

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The outback lies beneath a gentle blanket of pure white snow. It thought it could sleep until 2009, but no such luck. Saturday, December 20th, the snows shall be parted with a short-notice Slash gathering. A snowblower carved track of some type will emerge with at least 1 jump (more if YOU grab a shovel)

Some transpondering with the iLap system will be available. A warm garage can keep you away from a chilly death while you are not out there running your Slash. I don't have a Slash, but our first Slash entry is SavageChick's.

Why not?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
The outback lies beneath a gentle blanket of pure white snow. It thought it could sleep until 2009, but no such luck. Saturday, December 20th, the snows shall be parted with a short-notice Slash gathering. A snowblower carved track of some type will emerge with at least 1 jump (more if YOU grab a shovel)

Some transpondering with the iLap system will be available. A warm garage can keep you away from a chilly death while you are not out there running your Slash. I don't have a Slash, but our first Slash entry is SavageChick's.

Why not?
Lol.. what time are we going to start the freezing? I have a extra slash I can bring for you to play with bob.. They are stock with I think the 3200 or 3600 batteries.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default So who else is in?

So who else is gonna play in the snow?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

The snow seems like it is firming up and not really too deep. We might just run a course without the snowblowing -- forest oval, tree slolam, cob country racing, etc.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Location: Naperville, Illinois- on to Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana Racetracks!
Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Bob- looks awesome! I love the fact that it's not hard as a rock (no slicks or traction compound or any of that jazz). Rooooooster tails, YEAH!

I second the motion of more jumps and perhaps a bit larger (looks like you have the room).

What kind of tires are good out there? Step-pins or Bow-ties or something along those lines?

See ya in the spring!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Showtime, Hi. Not sure if we have met. I am always very excited at the prospect of folks showing up.

Actually, I am always open to layout suggestions. I have my own ideas though. Since I have to care for the track, I usually don't say, "hey, why don't I build the ultimately large tack." But it will probably grow to maybe 5,000 sf in 2009, plus some reserved no-corn strip to allow for mid-year expansion. The dirt has a nice basic firmness to it, but there is a continual harvesting of sand that collects along the edges and in any low spots. I suspect a harder compound spike might do well. The J-Concepts Goosebump tire has been nice. The Losi Silver step-pin has been nice. The bow-tie I think was reported to maybe be OK. Holeshots, pretty much "no" except maybe for a freshly tilled and packed wet track, which doesn't happen much. Some of that can depend on moisture level, and that was a challenge in 2008 -- watering. I found a local source of free sawdust for 2009 which I plan to till into the dirt to help hold water -- should keep the loamy nature and help keep it wet longer, I hope.

I know the track needs more up-and-down. I will try to get a neighbor to scoop up maybe 8-16 yards of nearby farm dirt into the track area and work with that.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Default Outback 2009 Track

Hi. Thought about making an Outback 2009 thread, but too many little threads at the moment.

Anyway, I was sketching out some track area for next spring (see attachment).

The rectangular dimensions are about 75 by 60 feet. It was drawn on notebook paper to 1" equals 8' (going top-to-bottom, there are 3 ruled lines per 8 feet, but the squares I drew are at 1 inch apart.

The drivers' stand in at the lower left. The scoring camper is at the bottom-middle. The top of the picture is West.

I drove at Leisure Hours once when they had the "wagon wheel". It gave me fits, so I wanted to have some challenge such as that so we can learn how to drive on them. Any "wagon wheel" experts should chime in and tell me the secret to making a tough wagon wheel. The wagon wheel is drawn directly in front of the drivers' stand.

Just past the wagon wheel, from the driver point of view, is the rythm or "air" section, with an eye on not making it easy to leap into the sweeper straight if you get carried away. I did not draw many other jumps or elevation changes, but there would probably be some. I would personally like to see some "rough" over at the west side of the track where the sweeper begins opening up.

The run line is about 46 inches, or 368 feet, which, at the typical racing speed of 11 mph, is a near 23-second lap.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Outback RC 2008-file0322.jpg  
Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Design 2

Here is another 2009 layout candidate that is much bigger. The squares and lanes are meant to be 10'. Does this seem like a more reasonable type of track -- you could put jumps almost anywhere on it. Let me know.

At the very least, I think the reserving the 80' x 80' square will give plenty of room to work in.

Best,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Outback RC 2008-file0323.jpg  
Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default The Track

Bob
It is nice to see that you are trying to make a nice track for everyone to come out and race at. This is only going to be for electric is that correct? If it is what type of classed to you plan on running and what rules will you follow?

I did watch your You Tube video and it was well done and it looks like you where running some type of 4 wheel buggy I am not sure which type. The new track layout looks good but just remember to try and keep it simple but fun so guys will come back and race. I like it and it looks like it will work very well.

I have been racing RC stuff since back in 1985 and had to stop racing in 2003 do to a construction injury. Well I am finally ready to get back into it and I am looking forward to coming out to your track and doing some racing or bashing. I am not sure what your plan is.

Will this be racing or just bashing? What ever type of info you can post for everyone to read about classes, rules, racing / bashing dates would be a big help.

Hope to hear from you soon and I hope your track does very well. If you ever need any construction help with the track please feel free to PM me and we can talk.

Thanks in advance for the reply to my questions.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Default Nitro Bike says Hi Bob!

Bob:
Still waiting for you to cave in on the no "Nitro" thing. Your neighbors are a long way away and the track is away from the house with corn fields everywhere.

If you haven't guessed it is I "The Nitro Addict with the 1/16 scale Nitro buggy". Just pulling your chain before the New Year. Had the buggy out Monday. Having clutch issues, but would love to bring it over to your track this spring so you can see how quiet the little thing is. Come on----you know you want to?

Will be watching the board to see how next year is shaping up out at your place. Hell, may be picking up a "Nitro" go-kart also soon. Sorry, no electric as of yet.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Grizzly, Gerald.

Yes, I am aiming for it to be all electric. I know, weird.

If everything went my way (), we would race 1/10th 2wd, 4wd, and truck, basically the electric ROAR/IFMAR classes. I think the Slash class has been very appealing to folks, so sometimes you have a class like that which can't be denied. The vehicles in the video are a Slash and a xxx-4. Racing is really what like. I would like to encourage bashers to try out some racing, but having open practice or bashing time would make sense (keeps my weeds down, too.) I want a place where people familiar with well-organized racing will feel at home. Right now I am a bit chicken-and-egg: should I see who comes out and adjust, or should I lay down the rules and whoever likes it can come out. We have had mostly 2wd buggy and Slashes out so far, with 1 1/8th electric, a truck, etc. Let's say the direction is to have any of 1/10th 2wd open, truck open, and 4wd open with as close to ROAR rules as you can manage. Plus stock Slash.

You know, I am amazed how simple it is to build all this track stuff. The stand was a 1-man job (except the section my family helped paint), the digging is not too bad, and hope to make it much more exciting with the neighbor's bobact. I probably would welcome help in the early spring for smoothing out the jumps, but could manage on my own if needed.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Hey, maybe electric-only is only 99% weird now:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ew-tracks.html
Old 12-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default INFO

Bob
All electric does not sound crazy. With the way Lipo and brushelss motors are going and the converson kits for 1/8th scale why would you think diffrent.

I think it is a great idea and it should work out well for you. I say set some rules now to see what type of feed back you get while the outdoor season is still 4 months away and adjust from there. This could really help out your tracks success for people to know the rules now. I know it would help me out. Just my 2 cents.

I look forward to following this trend and see where this goes. I hope it goes well for you and the track has great success.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Default I'm giving up

Ok Bob--I'll give up trying to change your mind. Will keep looking towards summer when the ground thaws. Will ride the motorcycle out there to say hi and watch the (electric) racers. I'll bring a small bottle of Nitro fuel just to annoy.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Maybe you can borrow my car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.