Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
THINDER SPEEDWAY LOMIRA, WI OFFSEASON >

THINDER SPEEDWAY LOMIRA, WI OFFSEASON

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THINDER SPEEDWAY LOMIRA, WI OFFSEASON

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sweet, I am going to try and get up there this friday for the very first time. Guess I will be loosing my virginity so to speak of.......
I wont have the boys ready to race by friday seeing it is already thursday, but I think I will make my first appearance and hopefully learn some things so when I bring the boys, they will be ready. I only have one good set of foams so I may need to switch back and forth between classes. I do have some smooth street tires that I will bring, but it sounds like foams are what we need.

John,
I may have an extra LRP "SR" no limit speed control (esc) if you need to borrow it friday night John, let me know if you will need. I think it has a tamya connector for the battery on it now, but they make solder everyday, no big deal, if you need let me know.

Travis,
You going to make it to HTO friday night or do you got to work?

Ray,
You going to make it to HTO friday night?

I look forward to seeing you all again and of coarse racing!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

This is my last friday before I go back to 2nd shift so hell ya I"am calling the rest of the gang so thunder speedway is come in force. see you guys their and show osk. what this club is all about. How is with me.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey, all! Jess at the store let me borrow a speed control to use this weekend. Thanks for the offer, though. I'll be running a thirteen turn notor. Hopefully I can keep up to you crazy brushless guys!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Initiate

U can try! 5 *cough 5 *cough is running at full tilt.....
Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

I'AM COMEING
Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

I may be set up brushless, but I have not yet even set eyes on this track. It should be fun, I predict broken sprint car for me, we will see. I have been practicing throttle control on my slippery hard wood floor flat indoor track I have in my house. I have no idea if it will have done me any good until I turn my first laps. I can usually find my way around a track, but I am used to tuning nitro cars not these light wieght electric rockets. I am just looking forward to having fun!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

It was great to see you guys come out to the bullring for the new years race! Hopefully you guys can come out more often! Open mod sprint is crazy. Especially when your electronics are borderline flaming. Don't know when I'll be running that class again. The 13 went up in smoke on saturday at Green Bay too. Only more smoke than friday. Orion Rush 13t. R.I.P. At least I have the slider to run until I can afford the brushless. Dan, if you want a round of the klein arms, let me know, and I'll bring them whenever you come up again. I'll see what else I have for klein stuff. Your car looks pretty heavy, but I did see the front end lift off the ground, so it can't be too bad. I'll talk to you dudes soon. Keep it on all fours!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

John,
We had a blast running the bullring and I plan to attend again this week for sure. I am pretty sure we are going to stick it out and run for points these next 13 weeks. I may take you up on the arms for the Klein, but I just want to sneak up on it so to say. I am going to open up my motor mount to accept a bigger pinion and make a few tweeks. If it is not up to my expectations I will start taking off some weight for the following week. Your right, it was popping the front end up as is. It may be good to keep the aluminum on there until I learn how to keep it on the track for now, it's like armor! If your there on friday, we will see you there.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Makin' the voyage

Hey guys, I managed to do a complete tear down of the GBX and to my surprise i didnt find any junk....haha i thought for sure i would have after Green Bay... I took a real hard tumble on the backstretch plus a few more after that......ripped out that pretty esc and i see the wires got a lil chewed in the spur but its all better now...Oh and i also lost e clips in the front pins but ill be there trying to whoop up! IDK if the slider is coming with this week money is kinda tight. One class for me....
Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Looks like all of Team Cyclone will be in attendance friday night! I rebuilt my first 27 turn motor last night. New brushes fresh turned comm strapped it together and ran it for break in. Not sure of the break in proceedure for an electric motor, but here is what I did. Put it my motor stand with a fan blade attached and stapped a 3300 pack to it and ran it for about 10/12 minutes. All the while it was running I was checking the temp, never saw more than 85 degrees. Thats about it, strapped it into the car and tried it out on the street, nice. Pretty fast, much better than before.

What should I be doing or looking for durring a motor break in? I assume running it to fully seat the brushes on the comm is all you doing by running it on the stand?

My oldest son Andrew is going to put his Evader EXT on the shelf for now and race my B3. That is what we put the rebuilt motor into and it is much better for racing. The EXT does not have any bearings in it anywhere, and needs a bunch of $$ sunk into it to make it competitive.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Good luck on the bull ring guy I have to work
the feb 2 trip to green bay is on
john or ray what are the motor rules for green bay
Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey, Dan. Here's how I always break in motors. I run mine off the ice charger, but as long as you have the volts in the ballpark..... With the motor ready(cut comm, new brushes, springs) I run the motor at 1 volt for 2 minutes, then 2 volts for 2 minutes. You can actually hear it when the brushes are seating to the comm. It will sound a little rough, then smooth out. I wouldn't run it off of all six cells in a pack, as it will burn the comm up, but if it looks good, and runs well, more power to ya. Talk to y'all later!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

I'am work on rules for the track for this season. eney rules you you guys would like to have
Old 01-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

John, thanks for the tips on breaking in a motor, I will do it properly next time. I did not have a clue, just winged it.

Any speed secrets I should know about? Any speed secrets you are willing to share? I am hip on the stronger springs for the brushes. Have read about drilling a 1/16 hole in the center of the face of the brushes also.

I hate getting lapped, it is my goal to finish on the same lap as the leader this week, at least in the gearbox class.

How often should you rebuild a brushed motor?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Speed secrets, eh? Whenever I rebuild motors, I always put on new brushes and springs. I use whatever springs HTO has on the shelf. The ones in a bag. I think they have more silver in them, thus making them better conductors. For springs, I get Trinity modified 9oz. and 12 oz. springs, with the 12 on the positive side. A heavier spring on the positive side will produce more rpm's. Also some bushing oil. Regular oil won't work as well. Bushing oil is made to bond to the oilite bushings. There's one other thing you could try. I haven't done this myself. Chuck the armature up in a dremel or drill. Put some toothpaste on the arm end, and put it in one of the bushings and let 'er rip for a while. You have to use a certain kind of toothpaste, though. It is a very mild abrasive and will polish up the arm ends and the bushings, so when you oil them up, they'll be as smooth as can be. It makes sense. I clean up scratched cd's using the toothpaste idea, and it works real well. Good luck, and see ya at the bullring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.