Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Drifting AT Trackside?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
If it were up to me, I would only allow electrical tape wraped around rubber tires.
Its a good thing it is not up to you.

Snowy.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

In Stevens Point at the mall last winter we had a drifting class along w/ the sedan and 1/12 racing. We did not judge it, it was just for fun. We would pop a cd in the computer and play funky misic like tokyo drift, by the teriyaki boyz. Tons of fun! Many of the sedan racers would watch us [if they had the time] The abs tires do NOT harm the carpet if the ones w/ rounded corners are used. The homemade ones with sharp hacksawed off edges could. Abs tires on ozite are the ultimate for realism, asphalt is like everything is in slow motion. We did have to wipe our tires off w/ laquer thinner after a run because they would pick up rubber/traction compound junk and start handling weird.
Unfortunately there will be no more 1/10 racing here, the hobby shop switched to 1/18 racing only.
Ideally this class should be judged by the other racers. I wish I lived closer to you guys!
Larry.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 PM
R/C Tech Founder

A really hard nitro rubber tire like a Sorex 40 is perfect for carpet drifting. Enough grip to drive in a straight line, but easy to get the car sideways -- and it won't damage the carpet.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Would it be that hard to radius the edges of PVC tires with something like a Dremel sanding disk or buffer wheel?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Would it be that hard to radius the edges of PVC tires with something like a Dremel sanding disk or buffer wheel?
I made a set and I used a dremel to round off the edges. Its not hard to do. Makes them look more realistic as well.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah lol, have you looked on youtube people drifting on carpet with ABS? lol its not gonna effect the carpet what so ever. I used a dremel to round off my tires, i have a lot of extra's and if people what a set for like $5 ask me when im there, im gonna be getting some parts i need like in a week. All i need is a king pin collar for a yok drift kit :/ ! I have lights, and neon on my car. So BEAT THAT lol. I wanna make a sound system for it but im not sure how im gonna do that yet but if there is a will there is a way :P. Ill meat u guys on mondays i will tell you when i am able to drift.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ehh, I'm building a T-Spec into a dirt late model. It hasn't run yet so I'm not even sure how it'll perform with the rubber tires I got for it.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

I use either ABS piping or PVC, and cut it to length, put ur rim on the tubing and mark it on there, then cut using a table saw.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

MIDWEST RC DRIFTING WEBSITE AND FOR ALL RACERS INTERESTED
www.midwestrcdrift.com