Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Want to build a track outside Stevens Point >

Want to build a track outside Stevens Point

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to build a track outside Stevens Point

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well i got a chance to go look at what was a trailor at one time. The interior was, well horrific and had blown out windows,leaky roof........useless. For the money and time it would take to fix I could build something like a nice size shed. With the weather warm I got a chance to do a walk around the area where I can put the track. Larry your absolutely right! I would need to "shave" off the first couple on inches of soil, not just for weed growth but just to flatten it. Plus I wasn't considering a place for parking for everyone(which could be alot eventually). I need more stone for my driveway and need it wider. So...... I'm going to look for a contractor that can help me all these tasks I want done. Hopefully I can get a good deal since I'm having other work done.

So anyone in the Stevens Point area know of a co. that does grading and driveway stone?????
Old 03-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default Your Goal!

I found this site this evening by accident. Lots of track ideas here! I sure wish we had something like this around here.
http://www.thenitropit.com/
Larry.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Thnx for that link Larry. That track sure looks like alot of fun and set-up prefectly. Well I called two different contractors for estimates on a driveway and clearing the field. Neither has gotten back to me yet, but I'm hearing good things about one guy that lives really close to me. I want a 200'x100' patch cleared to start with, I would imagine this would be more than enough area to work with.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Hey Jim, when they scrape off the grass and vegitation, also have them scrape anothe 3-4 inches and put it in a pile so you have dirt for jumps.
Can you post a picture of the area where the track will be?
Larry.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Tech Addict

Hiya, here's the location and a pic of the area Larry. The pic doesn't really do justice because its not an arial shot, but you can get an idea. I found a local contractor and will discussing my driveway and getting the field scraped for a track area. Sad thing is right now everything is so soaked, so bringing in heavy equipment will have to wait. Looking at a possible start time in 2-4 weeks. Got a chance to dig and check the soil type. Clay with lots of rocks and other buried junk , seems the last owner used his land as his personal dump site . Damn grass was high in fall when I bought the place so I never saw all the crap that has to be cleaned up. I'll let people know when the area is ready for work, sad to say this may be awhile.

Last edited by steelhawke; 11-09-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Default Track plans?

Looks nice and flat? Hopefully you won't find any house size rocks just under the surface. After the area gets scraped I suggest playing around w/ track designs by racing around w/ your truck using car tires for corners. After you decide on a layout you like then you can put your jumps and borders in. Are you planning on using the 4" black drainage pipe like everyone uses?
You might want to think about a watering system, so you can just open a valve and the track will water itself. Nothing fancy or undergound, just a long enough garden hose aroung the perimeter of the track, with sprinklers in series.
As far as lane widths, I think they use 8 ft in the corners, and 10 ft on the straights. Any other thoughts? Anyone?
Larry.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Default Name?

Jim, what are you going to call this place? I think it needs a name.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:41 AM
Tech Addict

Yea I was thinking of just using the cheap 4" drain pipe stuff. I've been seeing yellow drain tile pipe too, I would rather use that than black(don't ya think)? Problem is where to get it, odds are thats what will have to used thou. Don't put a hex on us before we get started with a house sized boulders man . As far as track designs and layouts I was planning on letting everyone have a say and input. The only thing is it has to be wide enough for larger scales, so 10-12 feet wide I was thinking. Then again don't want it to wide for the smaller scales, I like 1/18 scale just as much as 1/8. So maybe Al,Mike and the rest of you can come up with a track within a track layout? Or... We can build the big one first and make a smaller track down the road. Getting ahead of myself I know .As far as a name,who the hell knows,haven't given it any thought. Truthfully I could give two $hits about a name right now. I was thinking we're basicly forming a club of sorts outta the people that will be pitching in. This way we could have a vote on such things as a name, track issues and other stuff that I'm sure is to arise.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I saw someone's "backyard" track many years ago that did not use any pipe, but kind of dug the track a few inches down and let the remaining raised areas of dirt stay, with grass intact. So there had to be some mowing/trimming in these marshall zones, and it would be tougher to change the layout (except for jumps), but it looked really nice proably nice like a painted on-raod track.

I have been thinking about a track of my own, and I am near Marengo, IL (1.5 hour south of Madison), so I am interested in your story.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Default When will work start

I am not too far from St. Point and am interested in racing. I live in Mosinee and currenlty race at the Dome in Cedar Creek. Check out www.hobbyconnect for more details. There is a big 200 lap enduro race on 4/22/07 starting at 7pm. Contact Tom @the hobby connection for more details.

I would like to check out the track when it is being constructed and maybe give a helping hand. Watch out for that "AL" guy, he's CRAZY!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Unfortunatly no ground has been broken yet. Three of the contractors I talked to about the track never came out for estimates. I called all three back and pretty much won't be using them cause they're business practices suck! I need alot of work on the property and they're blowin' off work. This is starting to get me mad big time cause at this rate I'm almost ready to throw in the towel. By now ten guys with shovels coulda had one made easy. I need extra parking for you guys and gravel drive, not to mention the land clearing for the track area.

I didn't have in mind a full blown offroad RC track, I just wanted a place for RC freaks like myself have a place to play. A non-profit club of sorts with potential to grow. Some have talked to me about a lap counting system and such but thats all up to them. Since its on private property I reserve the right to kick trouble makers out period. I want this to be a friendly group that gets together for fun. I know how some people can get outta hand some times over what is supposed to be a fun hobby. I will not tolerate
a$$holes period !!!! If theres problems I'm sure the portage County Sheriff's will help me out

On a brighter note the weather is getting nicer.......wait a sec, oh yea it might snow tonite
Old 04-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default too bad

Sorry to hear about the bad news. I have connections to a skid steer, but it would take A LOT of convincing for my brother to let me borrow it. Have to talked to North Central Implement in Auburndale. They are pretty close to your cite and might be able to rent you something. That might be cheeper than having a contractor come out. Good luck!

OH ps, I meant my comment about AL as a joke, he is a pretty cool guy.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the cheap way to get started would be a simple layout ( you can always go bigger later)
get 4 people 4 shovels and a wheel barrel
get 20yrds of sifted black dirt 200 to 300$ and just make some jumps and banked turns or table top.
use weed killer that is nonselective it is half the price of the stuff you use for gardening unless you plan on growing flowers and veggies.
there is no need to remove the sod just add dirt where you need it
in 2 weeks there will be no grass if you apply weed killer( to save money only apply the killer when the grass is dry and it sunny out ,it will soak more up and kill fast and stay dead longer.

What is pure dirt we are talking about off road right (keep it simple cheap and have fun!!)
Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

First off, my views towards jerks won't be tolerated here wasn't towards Al. I don't even know the guy and when I talked to him briefly (atleast I think I did) at Stevens point mall he seemed like a nice guy to me. I was just trying to point this out ahead of time that I want this to be a fun place to make friends and have tons of fun. Now I know alot of you know some a$$holes at some tracks that ruin somebody's or everyones day. Friendly bitchin',razzin' and whining is normal and comical at times .

I have some good news and some bad news for all you fellow RC freaks that are interested is this track I want for us.

Ok bads news first.... I'm going to have a hard time with money resources I can put towards the track (which leads to the good news part next). Larry mentioned people pitchin' in on costs of stuff, well I can see now why this may be the only way to get certain things. I'm thinking we're going to have to form a "non-profit" RC Club of our own for this(which could lead to good things). Now anyone that would want to be part of this would ofcourse have to donate they're time to the track. A treasurer would have to be appointed to watch over "donations" so that the money could be saved up for needed items. Also apply small fee's "donations " for people that would want to play around at the area but didn't help out.......I didn't want to have to do this butttttttttt.......................

Ok guys the good news! I looking at buying a bobcat right now for about $3500. My offer is in and accepted,but I have to drive up to Presque Isle area and look at it first. But for the most part it looks like I'm buying a bigger toy. This toy thou can make working on the track aswell as my yard alot easier. Sadly enough the area contractors have pissed me off to the point where I'll buy all the tools and do everything myself. Also this way I can have dirt dug up somewhere in the yard that isn't being used (CHEAP) and use that for the track(s). Yea I said it,well almost. I want a simple oval to, well because I feel its fun no brainer racing. I've got some really cool track pics-n-vids online and I've come up with what I think would be an awsome layout.

here's a link to a really kik arse track set up in tight qaurters, now imagine what could done with say 100'x50' area
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1680280715

P.S. If any of you have some good names for the track or club like Larry said. Please post em here or contact me buy PHONE(leave a message to please.. I might not catch the call) Time to start collecting names and numbers and get this track ROLLING
Old 04-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Default Track name. Club Name.

How about; R/C Junction. Roles off the tongue nice and smooth, and since your in Juntion City--------
Club name; CWRC [ central wisconsin radio control ]
Actually I've thought about forming some sort of club. Mainly for the purpose of getting together with others to have fun. Organized Racing is fun, don't get me wrong, but kind of serious. When I'm racing I have NO time to chat, I'm too busy doing my thing. So count me in as the first club member! [ I'm not quiting racing yet though] Yearly dues from club members, and perhaps a modest daily track fee for newbys and non members would be a way to put some gas in the bobcat, buy weedkiller, and buy track border materials. If this track turns out as nice as I think you want it to be, people from all over will want to come and use it. Racing fees could be another way for the club to get funds. I realize this may not happen right away, but its just something to think about for the future.

Another thing; I was going to suggest in an earlier post here that it would be really nice for you to have a tractor or bobcat for making jumps, track grooming, ect. But I didn't want to freak you out with such expensive thoughts. If you are going to do this right, and especially with the size of track you are planning, you will never be able to take care of it and maintain it with just shovels and manpower. I feel you are on the right track so far!
You may want to still have a proffesional come in to do the first big scrape, you know, to get rid of all the grass and vegitation. I have used bobcats a little when I was building my house, and I don't think it will be up to that big of a task. But I know they would be fine for jump building.
Well, those are my thoughts for the moment!
Larry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.