Wiki Posts
Search

Summer time indy car race series

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Summer time indy car race series

Kevin K and I where talking about starting a spec racing class for the Duratrax Indy cars on roadcourses. Basically, we figured since this car is cheap (like $120 w/ ESC and bearings), it would be a good base for a class. We want to limit it to kit tires (about $20 w/ rims if they need replacement), kit motor, and a few option parts made by Duratrax. Kevin also has a connection at TPE, who is a battery matcher. He is going to try to get a cheap stick pack spec'd for the cars, already assembled. If that doen't work out we may just mandate a 1500 type cheapo pack.

We were hoping to get a series for these cars with Chicagoland rc in Tinley Park, Venture Hobbies in Libertyville, AJ's in DeKalb (maybe), and posibly Barber racing in Rockford . Kevin and I are going to get the cars before spring and check them out so we can finalize the class rules, but we want to have a different , fun class that can be done for a low price. Hopefully, close racing and point rankings will help get the interest up.

If you're interested please post here so we can get an idea of the response. the cars are like $80 for the motor & chassis, $120 for esc too, and $170 RTR, they have bearings, graphite chassis etc.

Thanks
Rob King
[email protected]
web page for the car:
http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd12.html
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXAEJ5**&P=3
http://www2.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=DTXC0012&P=O
Old 01-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its kinda funny to read this. I was just talking to the guy that runs the races at the track nearest me (abc rc) and we were thinking the same thing. We are allready testing one on carpet.

I am up for it. It could be allot of fun to have a true spec class. the kit motor halls ass in them. Its a 20turn bushing motor. I would travel down to venture to play.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Cool.....these cars are cheap and parts are not that expensive and hop up are very cheap....it would be a very fun class to race....it beats a Tamiya with the 400 bucks worth of hop ups you need for it. I hope to get one soon and see how they work. Jesse let us know what you find out.

Let us know what you guys think of this.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

I think we should run them with no hoppups box stock
Old 01-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

lets talk about this. i think it would be a great idea. and the price is right. good idea gentlemen.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I like the no hop up rule but there might be some things that are needed like the Alum. Motor mount. Do you know does this car use the same rim and tires as the Tamiya cars? Because if it does then guys with Tamiya 2wd Indy or F1 cars can race too but they might have to follow some of the same guidlines.....So far the What we think are good rules is......1 Only the tires and inserts that come in the Duratrax kit can be used....2 Kit motor or another spec type motor(Ie street spec or blue endbell).....3 Price limit of no more then 75 dollars at LHS prices for the ESC....meaning no GT7's, LRP Quantums, GM V12's or Cyclones(cheap ESC's only).....4 Limited hop ups the extent of this is TBD.....5 Spec batteries(may be TT spec packs or a pack from TPE...might be SMH 3000's at a cheap price) Still TBD.

What do you guys think of this as some basic guildlines and rules....anything you want to change or soemthing that should be added???? LMK
Old 01-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Hey how are the tires on carpet?
Old 01-10-2003, 05:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My name is Walt Gorczowski and I'm the race director for the Chicagoland R/C Raceway in Tinley Park (www.chicagolandrc.com).

Rob contacted me about this spec series idea, and I told him that we are very interested. In fact, we'll probably try to push a spec class to race every week, and your series can 'visit' our track on any weekend you wish and participate with us.

I like the idea of a spec class because we tend to get a lot of 'drive by' spectators who then show an interest in racing with us. However, many of them aren't quite ready to spend the $1000 that it takes to run competitively in most of the RC classes that are popular. I'd love to be able to point to an active, inexpensive 'spec' class for new people to try out before taking the plunge into one of the other classes.

Also, the owner of the Tinley Park Bowling alley (home of the Chicagoland R/C Raceway) has shown an interest in buying several of the same car to use as 'rentals' for people who want to try out R/C. This is the car we are thinking of buying, so people would be able to come by during the week and rent one of these cars to try out, and then come on the weekend and rent the same car and actually race in the spec class if they wanted to, before deciding to buy one.

We can help promote this class by offering existing racers the opportunity to run in the spec class as an extra class for no additional charge (if they are already racing in at least one other class that day).

People are already talking hop ups, but I think it's VERY important that you NOT allow hop ups. It's up to you guys how you want to run your spec class, but my recommendation is that you NOT allow driver's to change: the stock motor (except an exact replacement), the stock gearing (that's right, if you've got one motor and one set of gears, that REALLY evens the playing field), the stock tires, and decide on the battery to use (however, with only one motor and one set of gears, only the number of cells should make any difference). The rest of the car should remain completely stock too, I just mentioned the above items specifically because those are usually the first to get changed, and are the most important to NOT allow to be changed.

If you want to run in a class where you hop up, we've got plenty of other classes for you. Keep the spec class what it's intended to be: spec.

I think this can be a great addition to our track, or any other track, as long as you keep the rules under control.

Good luck guys. I'm really looking forward to this year's racing season.

-Walt Gorczowski
Race Director, Chicagoland R/C Raceway
www.chicagolandrc.com
Old 01-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

I would say the only thing i would be real concerned about as far as hopups is the aluminum motor mount, and only as a strengthening part. Hot summer days + hot motors= melted plastic in my opinion. But I would like to keep things as close to box stock as possible. Maybe a choice of like 3 or 4 pinions, in that a travelling series might require it for different tracks.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My thought was that a mandated 'small' pinion keeps the motors cool, hence no melted plastic (and the motors last MUCH longer). I agree with different pinions for different tracks though. Just mandate a pinion for each track, and make everyone use the same one on a given race day.

The reason for the mandated pinion is because it takes batteries out of the equation. Usually, you 'gear up' until you reach the dump threshold, which means you need to get your hands on the best batteries. Even if you mandate a certain battery pack, there are still good ones and bad ones. If the pinion is mandated, and there is NO way you're going to dump any battery pack worth it's weight in dirt, it evens the playing field greatly.

Any time motors are getting hot enough to melt plastic, they are also getting hot enough to destroy magnets (magnets hate heat). If you allow motors to get that hot, then you've got a situation where you need a new motor often because they will get slower and slower each run.

This ought to be a great racing series.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

The kit tires blow!!!! I think Tamiya tires will work. Motor mount is not an issue and I would leave that one up to the owner of the car you are not going to win a race because you have one and loose the race because you don't. The kit speed control seems to work just fine. I would like to see a blue endbell paradox motor that is rebuildable being used with the trinity spec brush's. this will offer a very long lasting setup. Batteries is a whole nother issue, If you go to 3000 mah batts you could most likely race up to 15 minutes for a main depending on the gearing.

I was a long time racer of the Tamiya F1's and I tried stock motors in my F1 and it is alot of fun and they are fast as well.
Besides the tires on the Duratrax car the gear diff kinda stinks that would be the best place to start with any kind of hopup.......
Old 01-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

I have beenthinking about the rules for the last couple days. Personally, I would like to see box stock down to a rule prohibiting modifications , like grinding parts, for weight, etc. I think the more things can be left box stock, the better.

These cars should be for fun racing that will stay close. I'd like to see everyone just relax and throw the cars down, having a lot of laffs along the way.

If we can find a suitable 3000 type battery, how about long races like Kingzj said? 6, 8 minutes? What do you think?

And what kind of schedule for points races -- once a month may to august?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, I'd love this too. I live in Waukesha myself, and haven't raced at ABC/RC since about 1995 when I was a little bugger. Those Duratrax F1 cars look insane. I havent really heard much about them until now. Just as a kind of off topic question, do they take F103 bodies or what?