What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts >

What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts

Like Tree5Likes

What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts

Old 09-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts

Hey everyone,

Glad I found this place, a busy forum for RC heads! Enjoyed reading some of the new threads and catching up. Long story short, I was into RC a bit 15 years ago (or more) and had a few old bits. (Schumacher Cougar I think, Tamiya TT01 and an old Losi.)

I was going through my loft and found the Losi (pics). From memory I think it is a Losi XX JR or something? I know it's not a proper XX but a cheaper version, but unfortunately that's all I know.

It still works, after pairing with an old Futaba Attack radio - the ESC Motor battery work, it moves and 'steers'. But the steering cranks and camber link at the front left are broken. This will work again beautifully if I can just fix these two bits, and I am excited - but I honestly am not sure what the correct model number or what parts I could get (or substitute) so I'm posting here with the hope that someone can help please! (Googling revealed nothing helpful to me, it's a shame because all the Tamiya bits have old manuals online and stuff.)

I don't have the box or manual, I looked all over the car and there's nothing on there so really, ANY input at all would be really gratefully accepted!

- What model Losi is it, and how do I tell in future.
- Where or how do I get the steering + camber (?) links for it? Don't mind if they're not original, I just want to get the car moving and working!

Got that buzz back when you first used an RC that wasn't a toy and you see how fast it is haha.

Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts-team-losi-xx-something.jpg   What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts-img_6733.jpg   What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts-img_6732.jpg   What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts-img_6734.jpg   What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts-img_6735.jpg  

Old 09-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Looks like a Losi XX buggy (not a JR, that was in the JRX series). There is a 2nd edition of sorts, called the XX-CR along with a few 'special' editions celebrating Kinwald (XX-KE). It appears you just need to pop the ball cups back on? They look a little knackered, you can still pick up the Losi ball caps on ebay and some local shops may still have them on the wall, or go for some RPM. JConcepts makes some nice ones, you can even use AE if you have to, just keep in mind the last 2 are a bit shorter, you may need to get longer linkages to use them in a pinch. You can always go all out and purchase all new ball ends, from the Losi 22 series & then upgrade all the ball cups to the most current Losi offerings as well. It was be pretty truck, but maybe more than you want to invest in your Vintage racer. Ditch the HydraDrive if you plan on racing it, use current slipper plates & pads/spur (again, 22 series is fine) to bring the spur area up to modern standards. Give the shocks a rebuild, toss in current electronics and go racing
Attached Thumbnails What is this car? Losi XX something I believe? It needs a few parts-20747080_738266066377482_2053726829_o.jpg  
millasur likes this.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, and here is the manual - VintageLosi.com is awesome

http://vintagelosi.com/Manuals_files/xxmanual.pdf
millasur likes this.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you bro! You absolutely kick ass.

Yeah I popped them on, they don't stick haha. Will source some parts for it and yes I would absolutely love to take it racing at some point.

Really appreciate the help! Thanks again
Old 09-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Tech Rookie

So... Been researching and have found a track about an hour away! I have figured out the parts and part numbers to replace the turnbuckles and steering stuffs. Do you recommend picking up any bits that often break that I will probably have to replace - I am in New Zealand and require the parts to be ordered from a Losi supplier, so it makes sense to buy more rather than less.

My main question is what parts do I want to buy to upgrade the hydra drive to the 22 slipper clutch / updated gearing you talked about. I have found all the manuals for the 22 series, if you could tell me what model specifically to go for it would be really helpful. (My knowledge is admittedly low).

By current electronics you mean a new motor and ESC, Lipo batteries and new receiver / transmitter right? (Can I get away with using the old transmitter receiver or will tracks not allow the old school crystals?)

If this can be competitive, then hell yea, I'll change what I can and get into racing

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2017, 04:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honestly, unless you are racing in a dedicated vintage series you should look for something else to play with. Whilst the XX is still mildly competent on the track, it is old and parts are getting harder to come by. The only place you will find spares is Ebay. If parts do eventually show up, with shipping to AU/NZ expect to pay a LOT. I've sometimes waited 6+ months for a XX part to pop up and then had to pay a fortune for it.

The only thing from the 22 that fits the XX is the spur gear. The 22 is metric, the XX imperial.

The first thing you are going to break is the front bulkhead. Luckily, these are being reproduced and are available on Ebay. The next thing will be front arms which are sometimes hard to find (I recently paid just shy of AU$100 delivered for NIP graphite ones). You will want a brace on top of the gearbox as they snap the top mounts off and are again hard to find and expensive.

If you're just getting nostalgic and only want to get the car running I'd just replace the ball cups, give it a tear down, run it carefully around the block and call it done. If you want to actually race with other people (who will crash into you), look for a second hand 22 or similar and put the XX on a shelf.
Trick81 and millasur like this.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you @StupidHead

That is a great, (albeit disappointing) response.

Will replace the ball cups and get it moving again, I have no experience racing but the track I've found runs 'Open' sessions 2x a month - so I will get it down there, give it a run and see how I go. If I decide I like it all enough to get into racing I'll get myself something new. (Not sure I have the cash to get into this shit seriously, cars / parts / lipos / motors you knowthe deal).

Regarding a newer car, (I will obvs ask at the track too but just collecting as much info as I can) - getting a 22 would be acceptable rather than getting a 2.0 or 3.0 etc? These things are bloody expensive lol.

Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just go to your local track(s) and see what others are running and what has good local support. Many brands to choose from. I am still reasonably competitive with an AE B4.2 and have fun with it at the same time.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You can also switch to an AE slipper like the ones used onB/T4-B/T6. They fit the Losi shaft just fine. Keep your Losi lock nut that is 4-40. You can run your old Losi spring and spring adapter or the AE ones.

AE #'s

7485 Slipper hub. You will need two.
9603 Slipper pad. Also two.
9739 Slipper Spring
91423 Adapter (check fit, B/T6 uses a M4 nut not 4-40)

I use this on my Losi and TRX cars when I can't get the Losi parts I want.

Camber links can be had as RPM

Longs-http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/suspension-accessories/long-shank-rod-ends-12-4-40-black/

Shorts-http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/suspension-accessories/heavy-duty-rod-ends-12-4-40-black/

Replace them by Axle. I.E. Do all the fronts at one time and same for the rears. They are not exactly the same size as the Losi ones.

I have seen XX parts at https://www.losipartshouse.com/default.asp It has been a long time so try Emailing them to see if they have anything left.

I have had some luck with XXX parts fitting. P.M. me for info because it a long list for how too.

Also, the Duratrax Evader was a near copy of the XX's. some suspension parts cross. Kind of at least. Duratrax Downloads

I also have a small parts cash but...That isn't going to be cheap. I need them too.

P.S. If you end up not wanting the Hydo-Drive anymore P.M. me. I'd be glad to adopt it and give it a good home.

PM if you need any help, I'd be glad too.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Ive got two tubs of Losi parts I bought from an old hobby shop, not sure whats in them. Let me know what you need and I will rummage through them.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NytroNutz View Post
Ive got two tubs of Losi parts I bought from an old hobby shop, not sure whats in them. Let me know what you need and I will rummage through them.
LOL, this could be a large list....XX CR buggy/truck rear T plate & arm mounts (or a trinity alloy one for each car) - XXT CR truck front and rear arms...I cant think of all the parts I would want in my spares box for when I hit the track.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Something I have too do in the next few days as well....Go though all my XX/T/cr stuff!! Maybe, just maybe I'll share some of it.
^Done, more truck parts then buggy though, sorry.^

Last edited by SocalSnakeEyes; 11-24-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jk racing View Post
LOL, this could be a large list....XX CR buggy/truck rear T plate & arm mounts (or a trinity alloy one for each car) - XXT CR truck front and rear arms...I cant think of all the parts I would want in my spares box for when I hit the track.
Been thinking about it and I think I will start building one from the parts I have and see how far I get.
But give me the part numbers and I will see if I have spares. And there are a lot of parts on eBay too so make sure you check there.
SocalSnakeEyes likes this.

Last edited by NytroNutz; 11-25-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Been thinking about it and I think I will start building one from the parts I have and see how far I get.
But give me the part numbers and I will see if I have spares. And there are a lot of parts on eBay too so make sure you check there.
If you hit a snag send me a PM, maybe we can work out a parts trade. Heck, maybe we should start a parts trade thread for all of us.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Oooooo Its a XX buggy , and its got a Hydra Drive on the slipper

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service