Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Road RC Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thunder Road RC Speedway

At Thunder Road RC Speedway, the big news for January will be the twin JACO/SMC Snowflake Classic Twin races. These twin races, one for oval and one for road course, will be the biggest thing shaking on the East Coast; and will run on the below schedule.

If world class competition and a huge new, baby smooth carpet track excite you, make sure to mark the dates. We'll have $1,000.00 in merchandise awards up for grabs in each race; and lots of door prizes. Details for each race will follow. Check us out at thunderroadrc.com. Thanks; Ernie P.

January 1: Oval (Sunday)

January 6: Oval Practice
January 7: JACO/SMC Snowflake Oval Classic
January 8: JACO/SMC Snowflake Oval Classic (if necessary)

January 14: Oval

January 15: Road Course (Sunday)

January 20: Road Course Practice
January 21: JACO/SMC Snowflake Road Course Classic
January 22: JACO/SMC Snowflake Road Course Classic
Old 01-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Tech Regular

Default Reminder

Next Sunday will be the last road course race, prior to the big one! If a fast road course, new carpet, a challenging layout and $1,000.00 in merchandise awards sounds like a good way to spend a weekend, head for Thunder Road RC Speedway in Gordonsville, VA. Details and directions at thunderroadrc.com. Thanks; Ernie P.

January 15: Road Course (Sunday)

January 20: Road Course Practice
January 21: JACO/SMC Snowflake Road Course Classic
January 22: JACO/SMC Snowflake Road Course Classic
Old 01-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default JACO/SMC Snowflake Road Course Classic

Lemieux, John Tag and Brandon Melton have indicated they will be there; and more big names are signing on. It looks like this is going to be a fast one! A huge new carpet road course; a new heating system; plenty of well lighted pit spaces; and some stiff competition. Start making plans to head for Thunder Road in Gordonsville, VA. You don't want to miss this one. Details at thunderroadrc.com. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi Ernie,

It must have been someone that committed me for me. I would like to make this race but am unfortunatly not going to be able to. I didn't hear of this race until just recently and wasn't able to plan my schedule accordingly (have obligations for this weekend). I was told of a race at Debbie's in VA beach on the 28th a while back and planned for that to be my snowbirds warm up. Sounds like a great track and great people attending, will have to remember it for next year if it will be annual. Just wanted to post back, I would hate to look like I renigged, sorry if someone else said I was planning to come. I do believe that Tag and one other are planning to make it.

Tell Paul I said great job overseas, doubt I'll see him before the snowbirds.

I do plan to come to the Trinity sponsored race at The Track in March, hopefully some of the same fast guys will make it that will attend the snowflake race. Maybe Paul will ride up with us to that as well so he can warm up for carpet nats.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Apologies

Sorry, Brandon; I was told you were going to be there. And, also sorry that you won't. You'll miss a good race. I hope you'll make it to Thunder Road one of these days. We have a great road course. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Brandon basically punked out on us Ernie..LOL

Looks like myself and Anthony Saunders will be there taking up Brandons slack.. See ya Friday..
Old 01-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default Friday at Thunder Road

I'll have the doors open at 12:00, John; and I'll have the coffee on. I'm looking forward to hosting you guys. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

Default JACO/SMC Snowflake Road Course Classic TODAY!

Okay, guys; today's the day. We were at TR until 2:00 AM this morning, with racers practicing for the race. Some very big names were buzzing around; and it looks like a great race shaping up. All we need now is *you*. See you at Thunder Road for the JACO/SMC Snowflake Road Course Classic. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default JACO/SMC Race report

For those who didn't make it, you missed a great night of racing. For those who were there, I want to thank each and every one of you personally. It's been a long time since I've seen a group of racers having such a good time. Every one of you contributed to a great night of racing. There were no Prima Donna attitudes, no bad tempers, no problems of any kind; just a bunch of nice guys having a good time, joking and kidding around and, incidentally, trying to beat each other's brains out on the track. You're all a credit to the sport; and you're all welcome back, any time, to Thunder Road.

We ran 1:10 Scale Touring Cars; Stock and 19-turn. Several drivers wanted to run 1:12 Scale 19-turn Sports cars, as well; but decided to fill out the thin ranks of Touring Cars instead.

The highlight of the qualifying races had to be round three; between Anthony Saunders and Tony Stewart. We were using IFMAR staggered starts; and for five minutes whichever driver was at the end of a straight piece of carpet was in the lead, usually by less than .1 of a second. There was nothing unusual about watching the timer switch the current leader back and forth several times in a single lap; and the issue wasn't decided until the horn. At the line, Anthony nipped Tony by .01 of a second! What a race!!!

John Tag took top TQ in Stock Class with a 33/5:01.16; a new record. Paul Lemieux took top TQ in 19-turn with a blistering 36/5:06.29.

In the Stock Class A Main, bedlam reigned for the first couple of laps, as the racers jossled aggressively for position. John Tag got into an early shunt and Mark Unrath grabbed the lead. Lap after lap, John closed back in; but after five minutes Mark still had a little less than two seconds in hand, to claim top honors. Arvin Nano was only a bit slower; easing into third. Jeff Parfitt, Charlie Johnson, and Thomas Keiser trailed the leaders home; as John Pritchett and Bryan Frymeyer watched from the sidelines, victims of early shunts.

In the 19-turn A Main, Paul Lemieux followed up his TQ honors with a breathtaking run; erasing his own race record with an astonishing 37/5:07.82 in heavy traffic! Mark Unrath proved his Stock Class win wasn't a fluke; by hauling in second place in 19-turn. Local racer Jesse Bean and Tony Stewart fought each other hard, never far apart; until Tony slipped coming out of the esses; letting Jesse dart past on the inside. That was all the break Jesse needed to claim third place as Tony followed closely in fourth. Bryan Frymyer finally got a clean run; taking fifth from John Pritchett. Anthony Saunders was victim of a first lap shunt; and couldn't follow up on his excellent runs in the heat races.

A win in Stock and a second in 19-turn handed Mark Unrath the lion's share of the $1,000.00 purse. The poor fellow had trouble figuring out how to spend it all!

Rob Cutman of Customworks and Jack of "JACO" added to the fun and special atmosphere of the event. It was great seeing and chatting with the two of you; and your presence added to the fun for all of us. Special thanks to Lin Vaughan (McLin), who worked his magic on the computer, calling the race all night long; and Betty, who again spoiled us all with her home style cooking. And, of course, special thanks to Jack and Danny, for their sponsorship; and Bryan, who translated that sponsorship into action.

One final note: Prior to this, Tony Stewart had never run on a road course; but he turned in an excellent performance against some very stiff competition. Keep your eye on this guy; I think he has a future in the racing business! Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Default Oval Racing

After playing with teh road course cars the last couple of races, Thunder Road switches back to the oval for this weekend. The next big race is the Birthday Bash on the oval track; February 4th. $500.00 in merchandise awards; and some tough competition. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Default Schedule

We'll be mixing and matching the oval and road course over the next month or two. We'll have a big oval race on February 4th ($500 in merchandise awards); and some road course action here and there. I hope to see you at Thunder Road soon. Thanks; Ernie P.

January 28: Oval

February 4: Birthday Bash (Oval)

February 11: Road Course

February 18: Oval

February 25: Oval

February 26: Road Course (Sunday)
Old 02-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Birthday Bash results

Thunder Road RC Speedway celebrated nine years of life; and the owner, Ernie Padgette celebrated approximately a half century more; on February 4th, with the running of the annual Birthday Bash. A good field of racers turned out; including some faces not seen in a few years.

Thunder Road thanks McAllister, JACO and SMC for the door prizes; which were well received by the racers in attendance. Your support is, as always, appreciated. A special note: One volunteer turn marshal, who filled in as needed all night, received a McAllister ’06 Monte Carlo body for his display of sportsmanship. That kind of effort is always appreciated; and should be rewarded.

After the customary three heats, which featured some pretty good racing in their own right, the racers took to the track for the Mains. Lin Vaughan continued his night-long domination of the 19-turn Class with an A Main win; but Harold Ruckle managed to jump McLin right at the start. Harold had been doing some tweaking on his car all night long, and it showed; as McLin had to chase hard for half the race, just to get in a position to challenge. After several failed attempts, McLin managed to duck inside Harold going into turn one. He completed the pass as the cars exited two; but Harold came with a whisker of returning the favor as the cars rocketed into turn three. There was a brief bobble as the cars touched, but both drivers kept their mounts pointed straight and McLin held on as the cars ripped down the main straight. Harold stayed right on McLin’s bumper for several laps; even making a stab at a pass a couple of times. A gentle brush with the outside wall eventually dropped Harold a second back; and, with the immediate pressure off, McLin was able to go back to his racing line without worrying about defending his line against a sudden pass. After that, McLin started stretching his lead. A tenth of a second here and there; and suddenly the challenge was over. McLin won by nearly a lap over Harold, setting a 19-turn record 57 laps in the process; as Steve Herndon trailed in third place.

Steve Herndon got his revenge in the Spec Class; cruising to an easy victory over second finisher Robbie Bingler. Robbie had looked strong in the heats, as had Steve Walker; but the A Main was all Herndon’s. The best racing of the night was between third place finisher Steve Walker and Charlie Johnson. The two were so close at the line that it wasn’t until the computer printout came out, that we knew Steve and beaten Charlie.

Stock Class belonged to Clayton Anderson all night long. In every heat, Harold Ruckle took advantage of the torque of his EA motor to jump into a quick lead. Clayton would gradually pull in on Harold; and (sometimes with the aid of the chrome horn) slip by, going into turn one or three. After that, Clayton would gently ease away. The A Main followed the same scenario; and, once past Harold, Clayton cruised to an easy win. John Birmele seemed to take a minute or so to get into sync with the track; but ran strong after that; earning a solid third place over Tim Thoner.

Special note should be taken of the Stock B Main. Jimmy Zirk had bested Jeff Duck in all three heats. But, when the B Main was run, Jimmy got tangled with another car on the second lap. That put him a half lap back right; and Jeff ran and hid. Jimmy chased hard, right to the finish; but Jeff Duck walked away with the B Main win; and his ear to ear grin said it all.

Novice Class was interesting; but rumor has it that some old fart was dropped in as a ringer; just to make up the numbers. Modesty forbids further discussion of the results. Suffice it to say that the racing was… interesting; and the wall to wall (literally) on track action sufficient to keep the turn marshals and spectators alternately wincing and laughing.

Two second place finishes were sufficient to give Harold Ruckle a big start toward funding his upcoming Snowbirds trip; and Lin Vaughan and Steve Herndon picked up a good bit of change as well, from the $500.00 in race awards. A good night of racing; some old faces making a reappearance; and some good, close racing. What else is needed for a great night of RC action? Come join us at Thunder Road RC Speedway; and you’ll see what we mean.

Next week: Road Course. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Default Thunder Road racing schedule

We'll be running Oval next Saturday, the 25th. Then, on Sunday the 26th, we'll switch to the Road Course. Check out the website at thunderroadrc.com for details, maps and directions.

Whether you like to turn left, or left and right, we have a large, smooth and fast track for you to run. Take a look at the pics; and come join us next weekend. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Default Thunder Road racing schedule

Here is the schedule of oval and road course racing at Thunder Road through the end of March. We look forward to seeing you at Thunder Road, no matter which way you turn. Thanks; Ernie P.

February 25: Oval

February 26: Road Course (Sunday)

March 4th: Oval

March 11th: ARCOR Race for the Green (Oval)

March 18th: Road Course

March 25th: Oval

March 26th: Road Course (Sunday)
Old 03-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Default 03/04/06 Thunder Road race results

With only a week to go before the Race for the Green, there were some fast drivers at Thunder Road on Saturday, trying to get dialed in for the big race. At the same time, a number of Thunder Road regulars were conspicuous by their absense. Were they finishing up the "honey do" list to get clear for next weekend's big race?

The Spec NasTruck heats pointed toward a fast Main; as Steve Kritikakos, aka Kriter, Robbie Bingler (Tripod), Steve Walker (Beach) and John Foster all put in fast performances. Several drivers were within a couple of seconds of the lap record throughout the night. When the A-Main rolled around, Tripod jumped Kriter at the start and lead the first few laps; before running into a slower car in turn two. The resulting spin dropped Tripod to the very back of the field; and he spent most of the race charging from the rear. Kriter assumed the lead, closely pursued by John Foster and Beach. Beach ran into traffic problems also; dropping out with a broken truck just after the halfway point. CJ (The racer formerly known as Charlie Johnson) and Mike Ruckle swapped fourth place repeatedly, until Steve Walker's abrupt departure turned their duel into a third place battle; just before both of them were overhauled by Tripod, as he stormed up from the rear.

Kriter slowly stretched his lead over John Foster; pulling away at a tenth a lap. John was finally overwhelmed by the storming Robbie Bingler in the last few laps; but Tripod ran out of time before he could get to leader Kriter. When the race ended, Robbie was only 1.3 seconds behind Kriter; as John Foster went a lap down to the leader in the last few laps. Kriter missed his assault on the lap record by less than two seconds; but promised to return next week for another shot at it.

The Stock heats pointed toward an interesting Main event, as Clayton Anderson (Big Clay), Lin Vaughn (McLin) and Steve Walker (Beach) all turned in fast performances. Harold Ruckle looked uncharateristically squirrely, with his car weaving on the straight parts and darting in the corners. Jimmy Zirk easily dominated his heats; and looked hopeful as he prepared for the Main.

In the Main, Harold Ruckle got a quick start; but McLin, Big Clay and Beach all got mixed up in traffic woes. Harold seemed to have found some extra speed, and ran like a thief all the way to the flag. McLin, Big Clay and Steve Walker continually bumped and pushed their way through traffic in an attempt to catch back up with the flying Harold. McLin finally broke something critical about 2/3 of the way along; and Steve Walker proved to be unable to mount a serious challenge for the lead. Big Clay tried hard to stay on the same lap; but finally went a lap down toward the end. Harold stroked his way to the flag, being careful in traffic and avoiding any problems.

Jimmy Zirk spun early, but recovered to finish a respectable fourth. Scott Gregory and Steve Simmons fought a race-long battle for fifth; with first one and then the other leading. In the end, Scott lead Steve by less than two seconds. At the buzzer, Harold lead Big Clay, Harold Walker and Jimmy Zirk. Scott Gregory, Steve Simmons and Bob Hall rounded out the field; as McLin was unable to repair his car in time to rejoin.

All in all, a good night at Thunder Road. The racers are all looking forward to the Race for the Green next weekend. We hope you will join us for the last big race of the season at Thunder Road. Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.