Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
PT Raceway NEW TRACK Level Green, Murrsyville, Pittsburgh, Penn Trafford, Irwin >

PT Raceway NEW TRACK Level Green, Murrsyville, Pittsburgh, Penn Trafford, Irwin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

PT Raceway NEW TRACK Level Green, Murrsyville, Pittsburgh, Penn Trafford, Irwin

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Looking for some info/advice.

My and a buddy are looking to get a few trucks together, we will mostly be running on Friday evenings. And we want to go brushless. After being at the track a few weeks now, and watching and BSing (yea we are good at that) we are wondering if anyone would want to recommend a brushless ESC and motor to run.

To start we may run the novice class a few weeks to get the feel of a new track, and to remember how to drive, since its been about 5+ years for both of us. But then probably the mod CORR class, depending on the rules.

We have seen quite a few, what we thought were, hobby wing ESC's around, but we are kinda lost as to what AMP rating and motor Kv to even be looking to buy.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by highster
Looking for some info/advice.

My and a buddy are looking to get a few trucks together, we will mostly be running on Friday evenings. And we want to go brushless. After being at the track a few weeks now, and watching and BSing (yea we are good at that) we are wondering if anyone would want to recommend a brushless ESC and motor to run.

To start we may run the novice class a few weeks to get the feel of a new track, and to remember how to drive, since its been about 5+ years for both of us. But then probably the mod CORR class, depending on the rules.

We have seen quite a few, what we thought were, hobby wing ESC's around, but we are kinda lost as to what AMP rating and motor Kv to even be looking to buy.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Speed Passion has a pretty good 17.5t ESC/ Motor Combo for around $100 new, plus the programming card for about $15. That's if you're looking new though.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Those speed passions are nice. Every time I look at them they are sold out.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dkrall
Speed Passion has a pretty good 17.5t ESC/ Motor Combo for around $100 new, plus the programming card for about $15. That's if you're looking new though.
We are cheap, but for new that price sounds good. Is more than 17.5 overkill for P.T.?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

We are cheap, but for new that price sounds good. Is more than 17.5 overkill for P.T.?
Last race I went to (benefit) a guy running a 17.5 in mod sct was lapping me every other lap, and I was running a traxxas vxl system which is about a 10-11 turn. so he had much less power and was twice as fast.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default mini sprint

Guys, I'm looking to get a mini sprint for Sunday's. I owned a mini baja a couple of years ago and it was problem after problem. Has losi improved these mini's durability issues? Any insight on what needs addressed? Is the stock motor enough for the track? Thanks again for any help, Gizmo.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

17.5's are probably the best motor for PT in my opinion. Depends who you ask though. Drive it right and yes, you can and will beat mod motors on track.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rag6
Guys, I'm looking to get a mini sprint for Sunday's. I owned a mini baja a couple of years ago and it was problem after problem. Has losi improved these mini's durability issues? Any insight on what needs addressed? Is the stock motor enough for the track? Thanks again for any help, Gizmo.
The mini sprints I think are much improved than the past mini's from Losi. I had a slider before and also always fixing it. The new mini sprints i think still some issues, the ball cups pop off very easily, just by barely bumping the tube they will pop off. Other than that I havent had many problems. I did put the MIP ball diff in mine and a Fuze brushless system. you want to uppgrade the diff for sure, the plastic spider probably wont last. They make metal spider gears or the ball diff. The brushless would probably be the best way to go, I think for $75 you can get the Fuze system, the stock motors dont last very long. Right now the RTR mini sprints are on sale, I think RC Planet had the RTR yesterday for $69.99.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rag6
Last race I went to (benefit) a guy running a 17.5 in mod sct was lapping me every other lap, and I was running a traxxas vxl system which is about a 10-11 turn. so he had much less power and was twice as fast.
Some of it has to do with the type of vehicle, for instance an Associated SC10 versus a Traxxas Slash. It doesn't matter how powerful/fast your VXL system is if your chassis & tire combo can't transfer that power to the track in the form of traction. Some manufacturers' vehicles handle more predictably than others out of the box.

Then, within manufacturers, like SC10 versus SC10, some people can set up their chassis to handle better than others. Most lower the vehicles and stiffen the suspension so their vehicles don't roll as much in turns at PT Raceway. We have low jumps so we don't need all the suspension travel that most vehicles are capable of.

On of the final things (and most important) is driver ability. I know people who use the stock factory recommended settings and they lap everyone else. Some drivers driving Traxxas Slash's will beat the SC10's and vice versa. It changes from week to week.

Look at the forums for your vehicle. See if you can find some set up sheets for small, high grip carpet tracks with straightaways around 70'. See what tires they're using. At PT, it seems tires with pins work well in the rear, like Hole Shots, Calipers, Enduros, etc. Then again, some of the consistent winners use stock tires. It's all about finding some combo that works for your driving style.

With the Mod class, you can generally accelerate faster. However, at the end of that acceleration, you still have to slow down to make the turn. Some Mod drivers forget about having to slow the thing down and they try to carry that speed into the turns, resulting in overshooting the apex of the turns, hitting the pipes or flipping. Stock vehicles, only having 17.5's, tend to not reach those higher speeds where they become less controllable in turns. In other words, the 17.5 vehicles tend to enter the turns at slower speeds so they can hit the apex. Of course, remember drive skill and practice are the most important factors here.

Slower is faster!

Steven "HACC" Beatty
Old 12-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey Everyone I'm clearing out a bunch of stuff - I'm not racing tonight but I can run some stuff down to the track if anyone is interested. Just shoot me a PM, and anything sold locally will be cheaper since no shipping is involved.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ucks-sale.html
Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the sprint tips. I found one new with tx for $90 shipped on ebay. I will have to look around for that diff. Is it sealed? If not then the ball diff may be what I want(would rather have a sealed diff though).
Old 12-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

I think i have fixed the problem on my rc10. My buddy and me want to possibly race these oldsters at least once or twice to make them feel good before they might go on the shelf for a while. My buddy has a b2,t2,and rc10t. I think he is going to race his b2. We are going to race brushed modified motors with lipos. Ohh ya these things are going to be wild and crazy Would u guys run a vintage class for us if we only have 2 or 3 of us to run. We are not going to do this till probably after christmas. We might not even be able to run a full five minute race(motor might get to hot)

thanks derick yost
Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjdyost
I think i have fixed the problem on my rc10. My buddy and me want to possibly race these oldsters at least once or twice to make them feel good before they might go on the shelf for a while. My buddy has a b2,t2,and rc10t. I think he is going to race his b2. We are going to race brushed modified motors with lipos. Ohh ya these things are going to be wild and crazy Would u guys run a vintage class for us if we only have 2 or 3 of us to run. We are not going to do this till probably after christmas. We might not even be able to run a full five minute race(motor might get to hot)

thanks derick yost
I dont know about anyone else, but I'd love to get into a vintage class. I just love those old gold pans, and the T2's.....
Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Old school

Ya they will let you race them even if there's 2 or 3 cars. R u thinking Friday or sunday
Old 12-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Way to go Tony and get your first win in stock SC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.