Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting new on-road racing club in Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Post Starting new on-road racing club in Northern California

There has been a lot of talk about the lack of nitro friendly race tracks in Northern California and the forums here have made that abundantly clear. A few people are attempting to put together a parking lot racing club that would move between towns for races. This club would be portable utilizing membership in various areas to arrange for parking lot based competitions that would be made into a points series.

One of the main objectives besides making nitro racing more available would be to promote the sport/hobby. Way back in the 80’s this type of racing was the most prevalent and because of the public exposure it brought a lot of new enthusiasts to the sport. By utilizing the parking lots of retailers and other public spaces we intend to promote the hobby and make it interesting for club racers, as their track will almost never be the same.

The following geographic areas have been considerations, but until we have localized membership they will remain only considerations. Numbers next to regions signify the current interest in those areas:

Sacramento (1)
Roseville
Vacaville
Davis
Woodland
Yuba City/Marysville (2)
Chico
Grass Valley/Nevada City
Auburn
Elk Grove
Redding

Please feel free to send a private message to me if you are interested in learning more or about participating (Please include your name, city, phone number, email address, and the type of racing you wish to participate in). Since this is a new club, we are starting with a clean slate. We are looking for people in these regions (and others that are within the same vicinity) that are interested in participating in the planning of this club. Individuals that have race operations related gear would be welcomed with open arms! Equipment needed at this point include: Timing System, barricades, drivers stand, and portable p.a.

I will look forward to hearing from you!

Chris Archuleta
Old 06-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default I'm in!

YGPM
Old 06-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just A little friendly advice and info,

As far as Sacramento is concerned this has been tried many times before and has failed. This doesnt mean that it cannot be done its just that its very important that everything is done right the first time. All aspects of this venture or "club" have to work right BEFORE the track is open(portable or not) half a$$ attemps with no timing equipment, racers with lack of RACING knowledge running the races or a track that is too short or not wide enough. If you are knowledgeable about all of this great, if not, get someone who is(make sure of this). I think I spoke with most of the track owners before they went out of business here in Sac and Vacaville and found a very laxed attitude about how the races were run and the track short comings. Unfourtunately, RC Car racers are a finicky bunch and have certain expectations about a facility, please do not under estimate this!

Thanks for listening and good luck.

PS, make sure there is room for 1/8th scale, we will come if its right.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for your honesty. I agree. Most of the time the tracks/clubs that fail are those that tend not to care what anyone else thinks. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get an open dialog going with some of the locals (club members) to develop a plan before writing any kind of mission statement or setting any plans to host races. I believe that a good well thought out plan will normally lead to success more times than not.

As for myself, I am returning to the sport after being out of it for several years. A lot has changed, but a lot is still the same. It's that "lot" that I want to make sure we do right the first time.

As for 1/8th; definately. I used to race 1/8th in the late 80's and want to again (eventually). What's funny is I don't think 1/8th equipment prices have changed a great deal. I think I paid almost the same amount for my Associated RC500 and Paris Engine as it would cost today for a Serpent and a Novarossi "Roo". At any rate, track design and implementation will be highly important and will lead to much discussion, I am certain of that.

Slotrc, if you are interested drop me a line and I will put you on the mailing list.

Cheers!
Chris
Old 05-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Rookie

You can count me in.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Archer2k
You can count me in.
Ummmm, this thread is/was seven years old....

And I'd guess anyone who wants to race Nitro OnRoad in Norcal drives to: http://www.norcal-hobbies.com/ these days.