Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okinawa

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Okinawa

I'm going to be spending most of next year in Okinawa, Japan.

Anyone know of any R/C tracks / Hobby Shops on the Island?

thanks
Old 11-06-2001, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 11-09-2001, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Okinawa huh. I used to race TC's there. I was stationed at Kadena AFB. Hmmm well they used to race at Chibana on Sundays and Sunabe Toyota Dealer Ship on the other Sundays. As far as shops go, there is one past Camp Foster (goin towards Naha) on the right (highway 58 duh). There is also one that is in Naha on the back roads. That's the one I mainly went to for my Yokomo parts and other performance parts. The lady there owns the shops and runs the races. Been racing with her since like the 80's (when my dad was stationed in Oki.) If you have any more questions, just let me know. I'll answer them best as I can. I don't live there now, but I know it pretty well (somewhat). Hell, I'm half Okinawan! Or half is English and Irish American... (must of been the military huh hehe). Anyways, they race Touring Cars there. Both electric and gas. Just opposite weekends. Blah blah blah, Have fun!

Jimmy
Old 11-10-2001, 06:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow, thanks for the info!

I mostly race offroad, but I guess if there isnt any place to race over there, its time to dust of the TC are start racing that again!

I'll be reporting in around Feb 15th next year. Not sure which base yet though.

How are the prices off hobby stuff over there? At least when you were there that is.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hmmm well lets see. Don't expect to get any american stuff there. Expect Tamiya and Kyosho from that store past Camp Foster. The Naha store will have some of that stuff, but mainly Yokomo. The Naha store is called Top Run. I think they race on a season schedule. So maybe they'll start around then. I don't remember. Prices were okay there, but not for american stuff $$$$!!! Off road used to be popular there, but that was back in the 80's when the bases sponsored races. Camp Foster and Kadena AFB had their own tracks! Camp Foster even had their own hobby shop. But not the case anymore.

The Japanese only raced on-road when I was there. The americans had to go by that since that's the only stuff they could get there. Although some did have trucks. Not enough to make a class though. They had a website too for the american part. But it's not up anymore. Usually the american rc clubs come and go because the guy/guys in charge end up leaving/new duty station and no one wants to take over.

Oh yeah, back to the prices thing too. If the Toprun lady is still racing, her TC class has rules/specs. So there was a price limit on things there for the classes. Like motors can't cost more that $30-40, and batteries can't cost more than $60.. stuff like that. Oh, and she does check! She's been doin this since the 80's!! Oh yeah, and maybe once or twice a year she has a Yokomo Sponsored race. So she has awesome prizes to give out. Car kits, batteries, motors, etc. It's a spec race and you buy the handout motor with the gear ratio that they give you for your car. More of a drivers race. Winners get an invitation to go to mainland Japan and race in the big Yokomo race up there. Blah blah blah, I'll ask my best friend who still lives there. I'll see what he can find out.

Jimmy