Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Off-Road in Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It does not matter if the track is long or short. When I think of 8th scale I think of fast sections and bigger jumps. I could do those jumps last time out with 2wd sct so I can only imagine how small it must feel in an 8th buggy. Those buggies are awesome machines that can take on some massive tracks. Plus I always leave with a headache breathing in all that nitro.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Indy changes their layout very often. The layout you speak of was only there for a short time. However, to go fast on that layout it took skill and proper driving technique. Typically on Tuesday nights (at least when it was colder) there was a full heat of short course. In the summer / warmer months the smoke in the building isn't bad at all. I have spent 10-12 hours at a time in there working with customers with no issues.

Like J-Lock said, knocking any local track is very counter productive. We are very fortunate to have the facilities we have in NTX. Luckily it has always been that way here in NTX. I know because I have been heavily involved for the past 26 years plus. People seem to take for granted what they have until they no longer have it.

I'm sad to hear that Mikes is the only venue you will ever attend. There are so many great tracks around that would love your business. It may also do you some good to travel and see what else is out there besides racing your short course indoors at Mikes..

Don't get me wrong, I love Mikes and Indy and Wild Bills and any other track / venue that happens to open in NTX. All of them have their short comings which much of the time can be attributed solely to ones opinion. Personally I don't go to Indy for their clean RR or tidy pit tables. I go for the people and the track. Same with Mikes..
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I never said I didn't like the track. I went in there the other day and the guy running the counter acted like he didn't want to sell me anything. He just sat there working on a car. The time I did race there were no sc trucks. I raced my hyper 10sc with slash 2wds and a couple stadium trucks. Thats not the tracks fault and I did have fun but why race at a track with hardly any racers in the class. A few weeks ago there were 20 4wd sct racing at mikes. This hobby cost a lot of money and a lot of us can't afford to race multiple tracks all the time so it makes since to go to the nicer facility with the biggest crowd. And Indy can clean there place up some and wouldn't cost hardly anything. Putting the tile ceilings back in would be a good start. I think I saw somewhere on YouTube where a truck was actually jumping into the ceiling and knocking some of those tiles down.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You obviously haven't been to a lot of rc tracks if you think Indy is dirty.

And of course Mikes will have more short course trucks, it's a 1/10th scale indoor track that's much smaller and made for that.

None of your qualms really make much sense, you have a very skewed perception if things. I'd suggest just stay inside at Mikes if that's what you expect from a track and facility, because those places are few and far between.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Again fellas, I don't get this thing about "poor mouthing" tracks. Like I stated in an earlier post, be thankful to have people that invested in some facilities for you to race your toy cars. In many other areas, tracks have closed and racers in those areas have no place to race or have to now travel hundreds of miles to do so. I know it sucks that both tracks Saturday schedules conflict but it is what it is. Alternate racing at both tracks every other weekend if it fits your schedule. Or, pick one to race at every weekend but don't knock the other track. Having a choice of places to race is better than having no choices at all.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Indy is about to undergo serious renovation. City permits, among other factors are the hold up at the moment. They are not replacing the ceiling tiles because ultimately they are all coming out. As is the roof, half the hobby shop, the back walls in the track area and dozens of other changes. The track will be half again deeper with twice the amount of elevation changes to help see the back sections better. Yes we have jumped into the ceiling just because, some people actually did it on accident.
The big thing with Indy is the dirt, it is extremely consistent.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Want a big outdoor track for your 1/8th scale? Go to Mikes. Aww, but it's raining! No problem- go to Indy. But I like 1/10th scale and SCT! Rain or shine, go to Mikes. But Mikes doesn't have enough parts for my 2011 Xray! Indy does. But Indy is damn hot in the Summer! This is Texas- find shade and get used to it. But my car gets dirty driving on Mikes track! Blow it off at the end of the day, and your car looks as clean as it did when you first stepped into Indy. But I'm hungry! Mikes has Pickles 'n Peppers, and Indy has authentic, damn good 24/7 Tacos.

Complain away, there's always an answer.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_danpatterson
Want a big outdoor track for your 1/8th scale? Go to Mikes. Aww, but it's raining! No problem- go to Indy. But I like 1/10th scale and SCT! Rain or shine, go to Mikes. But Mikes doesn't have enough parts for my 2011 Xray! Indy does. But Indy is damn hot in the Summer! This is Texas- find shade and get used to it. But my car gets dirty driving on Mikes track! Blow it off at the end of the day, and your car looks as clean as it did when you first stepped into Indy. But I'm hungry! Mikes has Pickles 'n Peppers, and Indy has authentic, damn good 24/7 Tacos.

Complain away, there's always an answer.

Mikes has pickles n peppers? Hell, I'm sold.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Hahaha

I wish we had either here. I'd be at both all the time.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We are glad to have both them open for sure!!
Recently been at Mikes, kinda reminds us of JCG's of years past!!
I do like both but prefer outdoors, but that comes from my old MX days!!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Or you could be from a town with one track. (Amarillo) I love to race at Indy. Haven't had a chance to race Mikes yet, but i will. I would like to invite all of you to Amarillo for the RC Pro race 29th-31st. I received conformation today the world famous Kyle Skidmore will be here. Will be good times for sure!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just moved to DFW a couple of weeks ago and got to run at Mikes outdoor track for the first time. Nice place with a great turnout. I have not made a trip over to Indy yet, but I am sure I will in the next few weeks.

I am planning to come up for the Amarillo race in a couple of weeks. If anyone wants to caravan up, from the DFW, area let me know.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

I finally got to race at Mike's for the state race. It was a really fun weekend, great facility and fun layout, but man did that track blow out!

That was possibly the worst I have ever seen a track fall apart during a big race. I wonder what happened? Wrong dirt? Poor prep? Not packed/watered enough? I honestly don't know enough about building tracks to speculate, but by the late mains it was pretty much undriveable.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Rookie

LOL. Did you race the finals last year in Alverado ? Wowza! Funny thing is that lap times didn't change much throughout the night . Had a GREAT TIME at Mikes !!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I like both tracks I likr short course at mikes but I love the oval at indy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.