Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

On Sunday December 20th Phil called an impromptu practice race heat of electric touring cars. When I got up in to the drivers stand I had trouble finding a spot. This leads me to believe there were about 10 or so drivers. We though we would try adding a new class to accommodate the beginners and guys up to about 1 year experience. This class is not meant for the experienced guys in open mod. It is a slow class to teach a straight tight line wins the races. Once you have won 3 of these races then it is time to move up.

At this time these will be the rules
Super Stock
13.5 ROAR super stock spec motor
2S LIPO battery. We suggest a battery similar to what the Open mod guys use in case this is your next class. 5000 mA-H ThunderPower 40 C pack, Trinity 40C packs have been tested to work well in mod at our track with no overheating (bulging). The SMC Max Sport, though cheaper, failed the heat test horribly. (Thunderpowers have outstanding Voltage)
Weight 1425g, 50.3 ounces, same as open mod.
-Any 1/10th scale 4WD Touring Car chassis. (If you see mod in your future stay away from shaft cars. Shaft cars will work great with the 13.5, however if that is what you own.)
the following are taken from an HPI GT class
-Any "realistic/scale" Touring Car/GT body (No "Race" bodies, Stratus, Mazda 6 etc.) 190 mm, (or 200 mm bodies with a slight wheel gap, chasses are 190 mm)
-Bodies should represent models that are running or had been run in the Touring Car, GT2, GT1 classes in ALMS, LeMans, Speed Challenge etc.

If you have strong views on the motor selected put your vote in this thread. We had 3 votes for 13.5 and one vote for 10.5. The purpose of bringing up this old thread is to have debate on the new electric class and then be able to bury it later on.

We also will still have the following two classes.

Petit Lemans
This is 2 wheel drive intermediate class. Throttle control is essential.
2 wheel drive Pan Car, 3800 Orion battery (2s LiPO)
World GT bodies 200 mm
World GT spec Rear tires
any foam front tire

Open Mod Touring Car
ROAR rules, except 1425 gram limit, 50.3 ounces

Next Race January 3rd
All three classes will be availble.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-28-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

If you would like to vote on motors or give comments in private send me an Private Message (PM). I will adjust the totals.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

10.5 with race bodies
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dicksmth_2007
10.5 with race bodies
no limit, race bodies. i myself am still looking for a proper asphalt touring car, its hard to find something made for such low traction these days because everyone races and manufactures for carpet. lipo/brushless balance is even more jacked up.. i haven't been able to actually corner balance a chassis yet without running out of weights.

my reason, we will just be searching for the esc and motor that produces the most power for being a 10.5 so you will own 10 setups. no limit reduces it to driving ability because the cars have too much power to begin with.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Let me better explain the concept of what we have been discussing in our drivers meetings because I can see this is already getting off track and negative. First, the new class is aimed at beginner to novice racers that can start with a mild setup to learn how to drive consistently and get practice running with others. This is not indented for mod guys to jump into so it becomes the battle of how fast a 13.5 can get. We are trying to build a larger following at mike's so that in the long run will make racing more fun.

I don't feel that we (mod guys) should be debating on anything simply because we are not participating in this class. We are only here to help guide newcomers in aid of setup tips and advise. I feel the main reason for discussion is to let others (new racer) see our race schedule and specs.

Most manufacture have developed asphalt chassis in a form of Euro editions and carpet/asphalt version that will work well on our track if they are setup correctly. Our track is not always prepped so tuning becomes a little more difficult but can be done.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Like Robert said. This is not a replacement for open mod. Open mod will continue. So far 3 votes for 13.5 and 2 for 10.5. Race bodies request noted. I would like to get input from potential participants in this electric class, especially those with track experience with one of these electric motors. Richard and company would be one of those with experience. Poll ends Saturday noon.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well I have pretty much planned on a 13.5 for my new setup since its probably going to be shaft driven.. i also 2nd race bodies
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Like Robert said. This is not a replacement for open mod. Open mod will continue. So far 3 votes for 13.5 and 2 for 10.5. Race bodies request noted. I would like to get input from potential participants in this electric class, especially those with track experience with one of these electric motors. Richard and company would be one of those with experience. Poll ends Saturday noon.
As a non participant, I will vote for 13.5 nearly run what you brung type setups over 10.5t with a non-turbo esc restriction (programmed to be non-turbo, it doesn't matter if people run Tekin, LRP or KO). That should be slow enough to be drivable and fast enough to be fun on the long track and keep the equipment easy enough to obtain since the motor will be used for such a short time.

I have run 13.5t from Trinity on carpet, it's basically a very hot stock motor and batteries make a huge difference with thunder power being at the top last I checked. Chargers are a big deal as well as these have been the two problems in all stock racing but if you are bumping the winners we should have plenty of racers in no time.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

I vote for 13.5. I like to see RCGT bodies just for the appeal to newcomers, but I'm more concerened about the speeds. So it's whatever as long as it's 13.5
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

OK then. 6 for 13.5, 2 for 10.5,

I'll put three votes for race bodies as that includes me as well. Those that have not voted on race bodies vs HPI GT only bodies please do so if you wish.

The suggestion of no boost (automatic timing advance) is noted. This could be discussed at a drivers meeting.

thanks for the posts.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

13.5 and RCGT vote. I like all the GT cars. honestly both are ok to me.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

If it's a novice class i say run what you brung..Like the off road does. Keep it simple.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Run what you brung......

What if they "brung" a Mod motor? Do you run them with everyone else in the novice class?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:26 PM
RHH
Tech Apprentice

Default Let em run any body

They are newbies, let them run any body. They'll gravitate to race bodies eventually. Make takeoff 27s and 32s ,premounted, the spec tire. The shop can carry them at a reasonable price and they work very well with stock motors on asphalt. I've got a ton of them I can give away to those that cannot afford them.

Ron
Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

will i am got to put a 13.5 in Joe car and a 10.5 in Saran car and see wench one is a good speed for the class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.