Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear local hobby shop owner...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I like Durango and Solider Irons. I also like Soldering Irons...

Geez, Man Ape...

Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Bwahaha, I love yuse guys...
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

"The chicken is in the bucket"
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

I like that chicken too, but the other comes in a chinese take-out looking box. It HAS to be quality....
Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bradykhuber
even though this is rc cars they never have blade helicopter parts
Kinda hard for us to have helicopter parts when the distributor is totally out of stock on them. The majority of the parts we are out of won't be available for 2 weeks at the earliest because Horizon Hobby (who makes Blade) has totally run dry. Other than stuff like this I would say we usually stay stocked up quite well on Blade parts.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lsp408
why can't you stock more parts? and I am sick and tired of hearing "WE CAN ORDER IT"

I can order parts as well and its cheaper. the only reason I still go to local hobby shop buy stuff because I am a strong believer of supporting local business. anytime I need anything, the local hobby shop will have my first visit. but unless its common stuff like servo extension or fuel line...there isn't a reason for me to go there anymore... because no one ever have anything I need...

please give me a reason why I want to drive to hobby shop and buy items more $$$ plus tax and have to wait 3 to 5 days before I take another drive to get the stuff...
Not sure which parts you are needing but there's a few things to consider. First off, we might stock the part(s) you need but they could very well be on back order. Many of the "common" parts that we sell have been gone for weeks because our distributors ran out so we are just seeing these parts become available again. On the other hand, if you have a vehicle that we have not sold a lot of that could be the other reason why we would have to order parts for it. We have to sell a lot of a vehicles before we carry parts for it because it's too risky to order a ton of parts before actually selling the vehicles they go to.

That being said, I've been working at HobbyTown for 8 years now and if we notice that a particular item is being ordered again and again we generally request that it becomes a regular stock item. At the beginning of every week we submit a list of parts that we want to become regular stock items. Feel free to call me at HT, message me, or stop by with your list and I will see what I can do for you, just keep in mind that if I can't sell the item at least once a month it will be difficult to make it a regularly stocked item.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ImGoinRCn
So much for starting to carry parts for the racer...wonder why that thread dropped off a few pages?
I ordered like 95% of the parts on that list you guys suggested...we even started carrying Byron's fuel...and we ordered a TON of Mcallister bodies for that bomber class that's never going to happen at Karns (which means I'll probably be discounting tons of bodies down the road). We've spent hundreds of dollars on that list and the items listed above, which is totally fine because contrary to popular belief we want to carry stuff ya'll suggest, but that thread has had no more suggestions posted in it so what else do you want me to do? You guys haven't said anything to me in that thread for 3 months so without the suggestions I can't tell the owner what to get.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Afun
They consider the racers around town about 1% of the business. The ready to run folks come in abundance. That is where the money is for them. If I were them, I would also try to cater to the racers. I enjoy going to the store with my kids. Its fun and better than Toys'R'Us. I just wish carry the real race brands.
We're trying, but we have to sell "X" amount of items to make it worth our while and with Karns closing it's going to be even more difficult to sell the amount of racing items we need to justify carrying them. With no dirt track in the area a lot of potential customers just lost a reason to buy tires or a new buggy or a new nitro motor.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AbstractZen
What they don't understand is that all of us racers spend a lot more on RC stuff than the rtr walk-ins. Not to mention that we won't be in there with a crap load of stupid questions or trying to get them to start out T-Maxx's for us every other weekend.

I, for one, am glad this topic comes up ever so often. It's very therapeutic for me to be able to vent about how stupid this whole thing really is.
While I don't disagree that racers spend more per person, there are definitely fewer racers than there are bashers/beginners. If 50 racers spend $100,000 and 500 bashers spend $100,000 at the end of the day both groups have spent the same. The difference is racers have unique, specific tastes that are MUCH harder to cater to where bashers require fairly generic supplies that are easy to carry. Plus, racers are very knowledgeable about prices so they generally buy their items where they find it at the lowest price, which is fine, I do the same thing, but being the cheapest doesn't keep HT in business. I've been told time and time again if I can't match A-main or take off 10% because of taxes that people won't shop at my store. I can order items just as fast as anyone else, and match the prices on HZN and TH, but if they have to pay that extra 9.25% forget about it. Bashers/beginners aren't as picky about prices and they also generally go through more items because a) there's more of them buying the items and b) they are in that learning process of running a vehicle. In other words, more stuff gets broken lol!

Additionally, you may not ask a ton of questions, or have us starting up your T-maxx, but I doubt that you knew all of the answers to everything when you were just getting started in R/C so lets not be too harsh on some people. At HobbyTown we are trying to help newcomers as best as we can so they can enjoy the hobby and learn as much as possible. We try to educate people, which can take some time, so we don't have to constantly see them in the store for troubleshooting. Like it or not our store gets a lot of people into the R/C hobby and it's our job to help the customers that have supported us by purchasing a car/truck/whatever from our store. We no longer physically work on any vehicles not purchased at HobbyTown so if you see us working on something that means we are helping someone that has helped us, we owe them that much. If you bought a car from me and were having trouble getting it to run you wouldn't want me to say to you to go home and read the manual and figure it out yourself.

We try to give the best service possible so if this means answering a bunch of questions google could easily answer then so be it. If it means we spend 20-30 minutes showing someone how to tune a t-maxx even though there's a manual, a DVD, and probably a 1000+ youtube videos that show them how to do it then oh well at least they will know how to do it when they leave. We try to help everyone as quickly as possible but in a manner that they will understand more about their vehicle so they won't be back the next day with the same issue.

People rarely read instruction manuals these days, they rarely rely on themselves to figure out their own problems, and they do expect the store they bought the item from to do most of the troubleshooting for them. Unfortunately our society is becoming more like this as we go on and the r/c companies aren't helping by getting rid of kits that forced people to learn how their cars go together and function, and at the same time they advertise high speeds and running through the mud/water/snow which requires tons of maintenance to keep the car/truck in one piece.

I too am glad it comes up, the venting is good for both sides.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WeekendRacer89
HT has been trying to carry more race freindly stuff but if you look at what a majority of the rocck racers are racing ( mugen, agama, Durango ) and most of the racers even changed up halfway through the session its hard for them to keep up. The last few times I went in they didn't have everything I needed but I told them that they might want to start to carry them and there in stock now. We just got to keep them informed of what we need.
The other problem is Durango and Agama are not carried by our distributors so I can't even get their stuff if I wanted to.

Do appreciate what you said btw.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 AM
Tech Adept

Pour newby gets sold junk = no future progress as a racer = no rises in car counts at the track = no tracks to race at I like hobby shops that have a track and a clue to whats best
Old 02-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I must say Kris, it's very admirable (no homo) that you even bother to jump in on these conversations even though they are skewed against Hobbytown. You're obviously very passionate about your store or you wouldn't be here.

Like I said before, it is a bit unrealistic to expect you guys to carry the more exotic brands as I'm sure they aren't easy to get and not many people pay upwards of $800 for a roller. I simply would just like to see more parts stocked (maybe even the most popular hop ups) on vehicles you sell. EXAMPLE: I probably couldn't come in there and buy aluminium suspension links for my SCX10, yet there's one on the shelf.

I'm also not expecting the most in depth technical knowledge of high end race specific setups or gear. Hell, I'm still learning that myself as most of us are. I tell you what, to smooth things over, how about you fill in the back parking lot with dirt and create a nice 1/8th track and we'll just put all this behind us. Deal? I'm sure the Turkey Creek powers that be wouldn't mind the dirt or the noise.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi Kris, I by no mean a racer. I do follow racers to track from time to time. I can't speak for others. But if you have the parts I need in stock, I could careless if your price is few dollars more than amainhobby and plus tax. Like I said. I am a strong believer in supporting local business.

I bought my losi 5ive at superior hobby in Orlando because I was there for business and they happen to have few of 5ive in stock. If someone else have 5ive in Knoxville back then. I would have buy my 5ive here locally. it's come to the time that I can order same thing you can. Why do I want to pay more and wait longer? The great thing about LHS is that I can shoot the shit with staff about rc car and pick up stuff I need while I am there. Convinence > price.

But when Convinence < price I would rather get my stuff from online store.

I understand you can't cater everyone and I realized that in order to be able to cater everyone, the amount of $$$$$ you have to put in with no guarantee in return doesn't make sense as business point of view. But hey, one can only hope... I will still try to support LHS but after I heard several " we can order it" I tend to just order stuff online instead buy from you all. Because I am getting the mentality of you all don't have what I need beside shock and diff fluid and some other simple stuff.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mtyjo
Pour newby gets sold junk = no future progress as a racer = no rises in car counts at the track = no tracks to race at I like hobby shops that have a track and a clue to whats best
I was a newb, never got sold junk...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Double post...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.