Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 scale chat

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by grubster
You want to shim the bearing/clutch bell assembly so there is just a little play when you pull on the clutch bell. If you don't shim it, the bearings will see more side load shots. Be careful not to shim too tight as sometimes it gets a little tighter as it heats up.

In 1/8 buggy the clutch bearings take a beating and there are a couple different strategies on how to deal with it. Some guys use pretty high dollar bearings there. I always bought cheap bearings in bulk from a place like avid for like $1 a piece. I would pretty much put new clutch bearings in the car before every main that I cared about, and then continue to use that pair for the next race day's practice/qualifying. Yes, it is basically $2 a raceday, but I never lost a bearing after I starting doing that.
I do the same thing.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Heywood and Grubs. I need to remove a shim I guess. I have no play in the clutch bell now. I think it just has the one in right now.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by helmsey
Thanks for the info Scotty. I just wasn't sure what I could use on my XRay.
Oh and congrats on the RC America gig. Kenny told me about that last weekend, sounds like you got a good deal going on there.
Thanks dude. They also share the same flywheel size (34mm)
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

I know nitro has become just a little bit more popular since last year. I need to pick up some decent 30% fuel. I was thinking that if we could put our heads together and select a certain brand that meets everyone's criteria we could order in bulk and save some cash. What do you all think? Is it too much of a Ford/Chevy thing to come to a consensus? If we can't come up with a general consensus I would still be interested in splitting a case(of fuel) of something with someone sometime.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Limywidget
I know nitro has become just a little bit more popular since last year. I need to pick up some decent 30% fuel. I was thinking that if we could put our heads together and select a certain brand that meets everyone's criteria we could order in bulk and save some cash. What do you all think? Is it too much of a Ford/Chevy thing to come to a consensus? If we can't come up with a general consensus I would still be interested in splitting a case(of fuel) of something with someone sometime.
If you guys consider Werks LMK. I have LOTS of it and can keep the supply chain going for quit a while. Just to give you an idea, I brought home close to 100 Gallons from PNB and have just a bit under half left. PM me for price.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

PM sent. Everything else in my plant is Werks, I will give it a whirl....
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default Super Noob Question....

Ok. So I got my new engine in the mail today. The carb and everything is loose of course, I think I figured out how to lock carb into neck of case. Do the o-rings on the locker doohickey need to be lubed? Is it best to install the locker doohickey with the allen head pointing towards pipe? The inlet fuel nipple is pointing towards the head when installed. I am supposing that the nipple can be turned? It looks like the brass for the high speed needle serves as a nut to lock the nipple down. Any advice?

There were zero instructions. I think my mother forgot to teach me this when I was in the womb. Not sure.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Never mind. I was scared I was gonna break something with my 36" monkey wrench and the temper of a drunken peg-legged pirate. I got it.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Limywidget
Never mind. I was scared I was gonna break something with my 36" monkey wrench and the temper of a drunken peg-legged pirate. I got it.
what no jackhammer?

If you have any trouble just give me a call. If not we'll get it worked out in the morning. Your fuel will be at the track. Get there early so you can get started early and get as many tanks through it as you can. Breakin is something not to be rushed. My motor is starting to run REALLY good and Im just now getting close to the 1/2 gallon mark.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

I still have a smidge of 20% left. I was gonna run it out and then do the break-in sometime during the week. But........it might be a good idea to do it Sat. morn considering this is the first engine I will break in. And you all run Werks.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Noob 1/8 tire/wheel question

I need a recommendation.

Vent holes
- in rim - how big and how many?
- in tire - how small and how many?
- at all
- or both

Thanks, Rockit!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

What time you gonna be at track LuvdaAir? I will go ahead and put the engine/pipe in tonite? You sure you don't care to help me with it? I don't wanna be a bother. I have a tendency to ask a bunch of questions.

Me and the fam will be about 15 min away from track. You might be seeing a whole bunch of me considering my dad lives so close to track. I am sure I will be picking fuel up from you in the future as well. Gotta get the guys in Knox to try some Werks fuel. hint. hint. nudge. nudge.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Rockit RC
I need a recommendation.

Vent holes
- at all
- or both

Thanks, Rockit!
I believe my sets of wheels all have 1 vent in the rim and its about the size of a pen tip. Remember you want to keep the dirt out not in.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rockit RC
I need a recommendation.

Vent holes
- at all
- or both

Thanks, Rockit!
Usually run 2 or 4 holes in the tires made with a leather punch. They don't need to be very large. Most people run holes in the tires so that the dirt that gets inside the tire can be flung out by centrifugal force. This helps prevent the dirt from throwing the balance off and wear of the foam by the dirt rubbing around the inside of the tire. The tire holes also allow any water from cleaning to get slung out. Holes in the wheel let dirt get in but no real way for it to get out.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

I do like Bonner: Leather punch and vent in the tire. Ever seen a tire that has been washed and not vented trough the tire ? your foams will love you and last a bit longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.