Wiki Posts
Search

eXpress Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:11 PM
N4S
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Trying to keep the fast guys down here on their toes. The track at speedline is really good on tires. To tell you the truth the second run is usually the best , right as it wears off the ridge in the center of the tire. If you run a fresh set every run i would suggest atleast a lap or two on them at the start of the day to scuff them in. I usually run a fresh set at the start of the day and after the qualifiers i will throw on a new set for the main. Keep in mind this is for the club races..... For the nats i will fo sho run a new set for every round.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bob - I agree with that. After some time on rubbers now, I do feel that they require a lot more insight and concentration on chassis setup. When I first started running on them, I was surprised how much of a difference chassis changes make while running them, how little steering they provide on a baseline setup and how unforgiving they are if you're off a little bit on your setup.

Foams on carpet are definitely the easiest to run. You can be a mile off on setup and still chuck the car around a bit. You can also dive in really, really hard and not worry about getting loose.

Overall, though, I'm having a ton of fun on rubber tires. They've really made me sharpen my skills at chassis tuning and it's only going to benefit me on carpet knowing ahead of time what the car will do with certain changes being implemented.

Also, I must say it's been an absolute pleasure running with Cuffs and Joel (and all the guys for that matter) on a weekly basis at Jackson. We all know how Cuffs can wheel, but I think Jeff would agree with me that Joel is just still on a whole other level. It's cool because I know it's sharpened me a lot and made me see how much farther I have to go to understand chassis setup in tune with my particular driving style. Ray Darroch and I were both commenting on Sunday how attuned Joel is to making his car work best with his driving style (which is basically perfect ).

A lot of guys are so bent on making themselves drive to someone else's setup when they should be making the car work for them.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

N4S - Gotcha. Yeah, Freddy picked up the Yokomo Masami/Hara/whatever tire sander thingy. That thing is so cool. I'm gonna git myself one. Sand that ridge down and no worries for your first two laps.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
N4S
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Do you guys use any traction compound on the rubbers when you run them ?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:12 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Freddy I sent your email back to ya!!!!!

Brian
Old 05-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by N4S
Do you guys use any traction compound on the rubbers when you run them ?
I dunno about the other guys, but i used wd40 to clean the tires all day. I also tried some paragon in the main, and the car felt good. My shoes kinda stuck to the track after the main, when i walked out to turnmarshall...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mr. Williams is correct. A bad setup on rubbers and it shows. I should know after my performance this past weekend..LOL The only good thing about my poor performance was able to see you guys wheel in the 19 turn A main. Joel was 100% perfect each and every lap. It showed me the line, but with my car not behaving I couldn't touch it.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by jdwca
N4S - Gotcha. Yeah, Freddy picked up the Yokomo Masami/Hara/whatever tire sander thingy. That thing is so cool. I'm gonna git myself one. Sand that ridge down and no worries for your first two laps.
Wow, didn't know such a thing existed. If these guys are making money off of that, how much can I charge for 5 mins of my time with a dremel, . It does help to take the flashing off, it's comparable to not getting all the "sauce" out of foam tires. Squirmy for a few hard corners.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have done about all kinds of tire traction additive testing, and to be honest, on the clock i run the same laps not matter if it's buggy grip, paragon, gripper, niftech, etc. The past few asphalt races I have just cleaned them with motor spray and put them down dry, and it runs the same laps on the clock. To each his own I guess.

Tag- Any way to pack the track in your van, us rednecks "down here" need some track testing time too .
Old 05-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default compound on rubber tires

we have tended to use Trinity Tire Tweak on rubber tires, but potentially less depending on the amount of VHT on the track

The key question I have is tire warmers, which I do hear do a great job of 'baking in' the compound and making the first couple of laps better.

I know Freddy has/uses tire warmers, but obviously depends on the temperature that day.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

By everybody, Talk to ya in a week I am disconecting my computer as my movers will be here at 7am
Old 05-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

C-ya Tag have a good trip!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yes!! I'm free!! Man, never thought that sitting through 3 hours of speeches in a hot gown could be so fun! Graduation is the bomb!!

...now for college...

TK
Old 05-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Congrats man. One graduation down, one to go. Its too bad you cant use the same gown and hat for both!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Congrats, TK! I remember the relief well.

Brandon - yeah, I hear ya. I was doing the dremel trick myself, but the sander thingy is so much quicker and more true, ya know? Just a minute with a file and the tires are ready to roll. The dremel makes the tires look more like a hack job to me.

Re: tire sauce. I also agree. I've tried everything on the tires--baking them in with the tire warmers, tire tweak, buggy grip, zip grip, zip free, paragon, red dot, et al., and I notice absolutely no difference. New tires are the way to go--simple as that.

I basically just sand down the little lip in the middle and send 'em. If they're one run old then I do the same as you, clean 'em with some motor spray and send 'em. I noticed the same thing with the tire sauces--no difference on the clock. In fact, I found my first two laps easier to drive with the tires dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.