Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
MurfDogg Motor Works Discussion thread >

MurfDogg Motor Works Discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MurfDogg Motor Works Discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lochness42
really no suggestions?
What is your internal? For my 10.5 I ran around 5.2, but that's also BL.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lochness42
really no suggestions?

You have to excuse us for the lack of a response. With all of us having normal blue collar jobs, we just don't find time to be in front of a computer all the time. Plus we have had 2 of our local series races just 2 weeks apart, which tends to make things a little more difficult for us then normal.

As for gearing in your on-road car, the whole team at this moment runs either off-road or dirt oval in which Matt is a National Champion in. So I would not have the knowledge to give you sound advice. I am sure you have some idea what to gear it compared to other 19T that you have run, so I would encourage to just try the normal gearing at first then start going up or down in pinion and see what gives you the best performance you are looking for. Once again I apologize for the lack of a timely response. Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

I bet a good place to start would be in the 6.8 - 7.0 FDR range with that Komodo 19t, and let the track layout, driving style, and motor heat determine your gearing after that. Hold on tight with that motor.

Matt,

Any chance of you getting limited number of 17.5's in? I really want to figure out how to gear those little beasts.

James
Old 06-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

so how have those "Flat-tops" been working out? How have they been dynoing compared to the co27s and stuff? More RPMs as advertised? good torque? May be looking into these soon.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry everyone for not posting on here lately, have been super busy. Was across the country racing last week at the Nationals (dirt oval).

Pavel,
I apologize for my lack of response. I will be sending you gearing info shortly.

To those interested in 17.5 motors, I currently have not received enough interest in these motors as of yet. If you are interested, let me know. I will look into them, although I am yet to see a 17.5 beat a 27 turn brushed motor.

MurfDogg Motor Works will not be offering the new "mysterious" stock motor. We believe the CO27 based motors are the best stock motors available, in every aspect. More torque, sufficient RPM, less gearing sensitive, run cooler, and more consistent.

Look for great things that are soon to come for a few of our good friends here at MurfDogg Motor Works. Cant say much more....

And yes we are finally getting ready to open the website!!!

Matt Murphy
MurfDogg Motor Works
Old 06-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Website

www.MurfDogg.com

Finally it exists. It is still under construction, but keep checking back for updates.

Matt
Old 06-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

If anyone is going to the Hot Rod Shootout don't be shy to approach us for any questions you may have.

Last edited by K_King; 06-20-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Matt, didnt you go to the Late Model Nationals? I beleive i heard you and another Cali guy went on DirtOval.com.

Anyway, can you do rebuilds? Ive got a Co27, Reedy 15T Quad Mag, and a Orion Method R 17x2 that i want rebuilt by a good motor builder!

LMK, so we can work out details
Blake
NightRider Racing
Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Matt, you guys did awesome this weekend at the Shootout....

Congrats to Jeff Nicol for his Stock title.....I tried my hardest to beat him but just made too many mistakes against the "machine" Great job Jeff, keep it up!!

See guys at the next race, I had a great time hanging out with all of you!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Novak 17.5

I was running the Novak 17.5 BL motor at the 2008 Hot Rod Hobbies Shootout for the Rookie Stock class. I was using a 78/34 gearing for my AE B4.

I made the A-main, however, everyone else was crazy fast and that threw my concentration off; my B4 never felt sooooo slow. I looked around and I think I was the only guy running a 17.5 BL motor! Everyone else had a Murfdogg brushed motor. Needless to say I came in 8th.

What Murfdogg motor and gearing combo is recommended for the AE B4 for Rookie Stock/Stock buggy class to stay on the same lap with the rest of the guys? Also, what motor numbers are best for off-road? I saw different Murfdogg cans at Hot Rod Hobbies but the RPMs were different.

Congrats Bobby S. and the rest of the Murfdogg crew on your wins. You guys are quick. Maybe Murfdogg will make a 17.5 BL motor someday that will be on par with the stock 27 turns. See you guys at the next Shootout; I live in Northern Ca so it will be awhile.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000
I was running the Novak 17.5 BL motor at the 2008 Hot Rod Hobbies Shootout for the Rookie Stock class. I was using a 78/34 gearing for my AE B4.

I made the A-main, however, everyone else was crazy fast and that threw my concentration off; my B4 never felt sooooo slow. I looked around and I think I was the only guy running a 17.5 BL motor! Everyone else had a Murfdogg brushed motor. Needless to say I came in 8th.

What Murfdogg motor and gearing combo is recommended for the AE B4 for Rookie Stock/Stock buggy class to stay on the same lap with the rest of the guys? Also, what motor numbers are best for off-road? I saw different Murfdogg cans at Hot Rod Hobbies but the RPMs were different.

Congrats Bobby S. and the rest of the Murfdogg crew on your wins. You guys are quick. Maybe Murfdogg will make a 17.5 BL motor someday that will be on par with the stock 27 turns. See you guys at the next Shootout; I live in Northern Ca so it will be awhile.
First of all congrats on your A main! For buggy we like more RPM, since torque with a buggy and its smaller tires is harder to control than a can with smoother torque and more RPM.

For truck you want a little more torque since they are more sluggish and need more pep coming out of a turn. Thats not to say you cant run a torque motor in your 2W, but you will want to gear it up 1-2 teeth more than an RPM based one.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

A few guys that I know are running a much higher gear ratio to get the 17.5's up to speed. There was a AE last night was running a 64/30 and was quite quick.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slant EyEs
A few guys that I know are running a much higher gear ratio to get the 17.5's up to speed. There was a AE last night was running a 64/30 and was quite quick.
Wow! I know AE does not make a spur gear that small so is there a third party that sells them or are the guys using regular Kimbrough spurs modified to fit? Do the 17.5's with that newer gearing make it competitive or is it better to run a brushed motor? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Wow! I know AE does not make a spur gear that small so is there a third party that sells them or are the guys using regular Kimbrough spurs modified to fit? Do the 17.5's with that newer gearing make it competitive or is it better to run a brushed motor? Thanks.

He was using an adapter to run those small spurs. The only thing is that you lose your slipper. Its stock so its not that big of a deal.

Well, Corey Peterson won Stock Truck at shootout with a 17.5. He said the biggest advantage was it stayed consistent through out the run. The brushed guys were slightly falling off about 4 minutes in. Heat kills. Whether brushed is better then BL or vice versa, its very important to achieve the gear for BL. So the buggy guys might have a disadvantage until the gearing issue is addressed. I still run brushed for the JBRL with no problems.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

contact rctech user Turbo Joe about that adapter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.