Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > SMC (Superior Matching Concepts)
IB4200 questions - identifying bad cells >

IB4200 questions - identifying bad cells

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB4200 questions - identifying bad cells

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default IB4200 questions - identifying bad cells

Hi all,

I've got a few older IB4200's and I know that the last time I used them a few of the cells were on their way out. They've sat since late September. I want to know if there's a good way to figure out which cells are going bad or gone without the risk of venting or popping the bad cells. I've got access to a good Fluke voltmeter and I've got an LRP Pulsar 3 charger, as well as a Tekin BC112C (older software though). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

Adam
Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Company Representative

Check the voltage of each cells and if there not showing voltage it means there not very good anymore. If there above 1v they should still be giving out good performance.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Check the voltage of each cells and if there not showing voltage it means there not very good anymore. If there above 1v they should still be giving out good performance.
I'm assuming that's charged....? Normally (against the advice of just about everyone) I store the cells after discharging them in an old school discharge tray with the ceramic resistors (like the Team Cobra ones). I've never looked to see what this brings the cells down to but I've always had good performing cells with this method. At their present discharged state, aside from charging them again to see which ones vent/pop, is there any way to see if the cell is dead? Ohm's? Thanks Danny!

P.S. These weren't any of your cells
Old 05-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You really need to store those things with a charge in them. Discharge them with the tray just before charging.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by adam lancia
I'm assuming that's charged....? Normally (against the advice of just about everyone) I store the cells after discharging them in an old school discharge tray with the ceramic resistors (like the Team Cobra ones). I've never looked to see what this brings the cells down to but I've always had good performing cells with this method. At their present discharged state, aside from charging them again to see which ones vent/pop, is there any way to see if the cell is dead? Ohm's? Thanks Danny!

P.S. These weren't any of your cells

Keeping them stored deadshorted can work but there really is no way to tell what cells may have issues. When the pack is charging you can monitor cell voltage or cell temp. If one cell gets way hotter than the others it means it's capacity is way off from the others and it's overcharging.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

K, thanks Danny!