Wiki Posts
Search

NOOB 2011 - Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by BloodClod
Had a chance to run at BTP yet? Today was quite amazing to see so many 2WD buggies on the track!

So awesome...
What springs are you running your 2wd with? Front Pink, Red rears? They perform ok?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:05 AM

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leongkc
What springs are you running your 2wd with? Front Pink, Red rears? They perform ok?
Yup - Perform okay on the track but I'm still trying to get the car to jump right. Tried Kum Yew's car and I liked it's in air attitude more than my car... shows me I've more work.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by LightAngel
For Noob Classic, what are the recommended type motors or turns?
The rules specify:

VINTAGE RULES
While typical NOOB rules (punctuality, sportsmanship, track conduct) apply, here are the rules specific to our NOOB CLASSICS vintage run.

>> Cars
  • Cars must be designed in the year 1995 or earlier to qualify
  • Exceptions - Wild Willy II and Holiday Buggy (2010) are allowed to run
  • For Vintage Truck Class, any truck-type vehicle designed/produced prior to 1995 will be allowed to run in this class - this includes Clodbusters, Bullheads, Midnight Pumpkins, Lunchboxes, Stadium Trucks like JRXT / Dyna Blaster / RC10T, etc...Wild Willys and Wild Willy IIs will also run in this class.
  • All cars must run only 540-sized black or silver can brushed motors (sorry but brushless motors will not be allowed)
  • Any battery pack not exceeding 7.4volts may be run
  • There are no limitations on any other equipment
Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by SupaGoKart
Hi Bloodclod,

Got a newbie question here

Will the Proline & J Concept tires mentioned here fit the DF03 wheels (as included in the Avante 2011)?

If not, what are the recomended wheels/rims to run with? I am looking for good value and durability.

Thanks!
Yes those tires will fit the optional wheels included in the Avante 2011 car.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

What is a 540-sized black or silver can?

Does it mean any brushed motor that is 540 that comes in any turns as long as it is black or silver can?

The rules specify:
Old 02-07-2011, 05:24 AM

What is a 540-sized black or silver can?

Does it mean any brushed motor that is 540 that comes in any turns as long as it is black or silver can?
Hey LightAngel,

Sorry if the rules weren't specific enough.

The only motors allowed will be:

silver cans : Johnson or Mabuchi 540 "standard" motors which are usually referred to as "silver cans" because of the color of their cans. These are the 27-turn motors that come in most Tamiya kits.

black cans : these are the Tamiya 23-turn "sports tuned" 540 motors typically referred to as "black cans".

As an alternative, we are also allowing the "silver" and "black" cans from Team Powers which offer a bit more RPM. These motors are available from Racecraft Infinity at Bottle Tree Park.

Hope that clarifies the motor rules for the NOOB CLASSICS run.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, thanks.

Are the Team Power Silver can 27 turns and the Team Power Black cans 23 Turns or better? Doing researched now as want to see which allowed motors will be worth my investment.

Hey LightAngel,

Sorry if the rules weren't specific enough.

The only motors allowed will be:

silver cans : Johnson or Mabuchi 540 "standard" motors which are usually referred to as "silver cans" because of the color of their cans. These are the 27-turn motors that come in most Tamiya kits.

black cans : these are the Tamiya 23-turn "sports tuned" 540 motors typically referred to as "black cans".

As an alternative, we are also allowing the "silver" and "black" cans from Team Powers which offer a bit more RPM. These motors are available from Racecraft Infinity at Bottle Tree Park.

Hope that clarifies the motor rules for the NOOB CLASSICS run.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default hyucks...

Hi, thanks.

Are the Team Power Silver can 27 turns and the Team Power Black cans 23 Turns or better? Doing researched now as want to see which allowed motors will be worth my investment.
actually...
Tamiya sports tune = 25t
tamiya silver can (johnson or mabuchi) = 27t

Team powers black can = 23t
Team powers silver can = 25t

and also, the team powers motors have a stronger magnet (you can actually feel the cogging) whereas the tamiya sports tune or silver cans have almost no cogging (read, weak magnet)

for absolute power and torque, the team powers black can is the one to go with.

But seriously, the Noob classics isn't about who goes fastest... after all, do you seriously want to risk damage to your precious vintage by going super fast?

risking your mega-buck vintage buggy for a plastic trophy isn't what the Noob classics is about... it's actually about running your vintage buggy and having fun... just seeing it go round and round with other vintages.

Have fun!

-Alexander
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

23T.. I have a VSS brushed Competition Series 23T motor, guess that will have to go in replacement for the Team powers black can.

I like to see the classic vintage cars be as competitive as the newer makes, though their bones are aching like an old man - haha...

Some things I've found out requires replacing on the Optima mids are
a. Turnbuckles plastics to change
b. Rear to change to Universal joints instead of dogbone only
c. Shocks oils to get a thicker oil
....and the rest seems ok

Fun it is...!

Originally Posted by foampervert
actually...
Tamiya sports tune = 25t
tamiya silver can (johnson or mabuchi) = 27t

Team powers black can = 23t
Team powers silver can = 25t

and also, the team powers motors have a stronger magnet (you can actually feel the cogging) whereas the tamiya sports tune or silver cans have almost no cogging (read, weak magnet)

for absolute power and torque, the team powers black can is the one to go with.

But seriously, the Noob classics isn't about who goes fastest... after all, do you seriously want to risk damage to your precious vintage by going super fast?

risking your mega-buck vintage buggy for a plastic trophy isn't what the Noob classics is about... it's actually about running your vintage buggy and having fun... just seeing it go round and round with other vintages.

Have fun!

-Alexander
Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 AM

Great race today guys, I especially enjoyed running with Alvin (what an awesome driver!

Results have been updated at the announcements thread.

Feel free to post your feedback or thoughts here on our chat thread.

Everyone had fun?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Great race today guys, I especially enjoyed running with Alvin (what an awesome driver!

Results have been updated at the announcements thread.

Feel free to post your feedback or thoughts here on our chat thread.

Everyone had fun?
I didn't know the guy that i gave tips to earlier today was Alvin. He lied that he is a NOOB.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teinsports
I didn't know the guy that i gave tips to earlier today was Alvin. He lied that he is a NOOB.
Alvin Koh aka AK in the touring circles is one of the top ep onroad drivers in spore. he was the first in our local history to win the Tamiya Asia Cup (forgot which class) beating all the top drivers in asia outside of japan. NOOB he ain't. haha
Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seankyew
Alvin Koh aka AK in the touring circles is one of the top ep onroad drivers in spore. he was the first in our local history to win the Tamiya Asia Cup (forgot which class) beating all the top drivers in asia outside of japan. NOOB he ain't. haha
Can i propose that he be given 1 lap penalty for lying to fellow racers? Kana conned up down left right center
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Teinsports
Did you give him any tips on building CVAs?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by seankyew
Was really nice to run with Alvin!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.