Wiki Posts
Search

sensored and sensorless esc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default sensored and sensorless esc?

what is the diff between this two esc?
which are the top range in the market and with the best motor for drifting?

i know many will start to say it is abt the skill etc etc... i am asking for durable and lasting.... Skill is indeed a must must. =)

thanks..... looking forward for replies....
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by acemojo

i know many will start to say it is abt the skill etc etc... i am asking for durable and lasting.... Skill is indeed a must must. =)

If for on road best is sensored. Sensorless tend to clog when starting or slow start.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Nov
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sensored and sensorless are for brushless systems...
Sensored as its name implies, has a sensor on the motor to detect the position of the rotor in the motor...In short, the advantage is better low-speed driveability...

If I'm not wrong for sensorless, there is abit of lag at the initial throttle...
Nowadays sensorless are quite well built where you can hardly feel the lag unless you're quite a seasoned driver...

Personally I go for sensored, but its more expensive than sensorless...

The top range in the market are mostly for touring car applications cos there is no reverse...It doesn't mean that you need reverse for drifting, but its better to have...Therefore you should go for something within your budget and with reverse...

IMO, there's no best motor for drifting as you know it boils down to the track size, complexity, grip of tire and your ability to control it...
But I would recommend something between a brushless 7.5~10.5 as its sufficient for tracks in SG...
Old 10-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

acemojo,

Physically, a sensored esc has a point where u insert the sensor wires from the motor.

A sensorless esc hasnt got these.

I have heard of using sensored motors on sensorless esc ( juz dont include the sensor wires ), but i havent tried it.

There are some well built sensorless combos which are easy on the wallet and give u gd performance...pls approach ur fav hobby shop and ask them.

hope u make a gd choice

regards
Evil Ernie
Old 10-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Firstly, the problem with brushless motors is that they can actually spin either way when you power them up. This means that there has to be a system that can determine which way the motor is spinning and which can change the direction if needed.

Sensored motors achieve this detection with 'hall sensors' which are components that are in the brushless motor - these sensors (they basically detect magnetism) can determine very exactly the position of the rotor (even when it is stationary). This information is then transmitted to the ESC via the sensor cables.

Sensorless motors achieve this detection using 'back EMF'. Basically, when the motor is spinning, it also behaves like a generator (or dynamo, if you prefer that term) and produces a voltage which is in the opposite direction to the voltage from the ESC. Sensorless ESCs are able to detect this 'back EMF' and these ESCs run programs that allow them to use this information to determine the direction the rotor is spinning in. Unfortunately, 'back EMF' is only produced when the rotor is spinning - this means that the ESC has no way of knowing the position of the rotor when it is stationary, and this results in 'cogging'.

Which is better? Unfortunately, this is something that you'll have to try before you can decide. New sensorless ESCs are very advanced and any cogging is usually minimal or undetectable.

Interestingly, the tekin RS and RS Pro are sensored / sensorless ESCs. You can use them with either sensored or sensorless motors.
If I'm not wrong, the RS & RS Pro ESCs, when connected with sensored motors will run them sensored at low rpms, then switch over to sensorless operation when the rpm is higher.

Some reading for you:

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/b...ensorless.html