Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Possible ?! a Singapore 1/8 Buggy Track ?? >

Possible ?! a Singapore 1/8 Buggy Track ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible ?! a Singapore 1/8 Buggy Track ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Iceman27

Wow...!!! When I checked out this thread in the morning, there were 5 posts. By midnight, there were 14! Great to see that there is still some enthusiasm left after the CCKRCMC experience. Well here's my 2 cents worth!

Approach LHS with a proposal, e.g. $X for Y banner spots, Z no. of reserved/discounted headcount for races etc. Sell the track & advertising opportunities to them. This may also entice LHS to bring in different buggies for their own supporters, thus more variety.

Tie up with LHS across the causeway and run race series like RCPro Series in US. There are serveral new off-road tracks up north. Will entice Malaysian drivers to make the trip if it was a series type race.

Turf city juz held the sin leg of the FIM motocross series, can we try to hold the world 1/8 championships here? STPB, LHS, RC manufacturers would then be attracted to this small sunny island!

The above is what I have in mind @ the moment. Will keep you guys updated on new 'dreams'.

BTW, may have lobang for earth works. PHLim, let me know if we get that far.

Cheers!

Old 09-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Iceman27

BTW, RCPro Series in the US has the backing of several of the RC manufacturers, why not 'franchise' the RCPro Series & get some of that funding over?

Cheers!

Old 09-17-2003, 09:11 AM
Iceman27

Before I forget, in addition to the membership, non-members using the track can also be charged a fee (e.g. sat 1/2 day: $4, sun full day: $6) something like that.

If a container or such is available, get the LHS to consign some commom parts for quick, fuss free sales!

Gd nite!

Old 09-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't know how it works there.

The money is not a big or small amount.

I would think Lim you can setup a membership for this particular off road track. I am sure everyone is willing to join the club. I am sure RCMC will not be CCK. It will be a substantial amount there. So the problem will crop up how to get the members join when there's no track?? But I guess with the reputation of Lim Peng Heng, It should be a problem. E.g. 50 members already a big help.

Donation from our rc players. Those who can afford it, may chip in some more money, $10, $20, $50.

If the budget is still not enough, get the hobby shop to get involved. I am sure they would be interested. When we got a track the return will be most favourable to them than to us. Cause they are making money and we are spending money.

Track. Use Nylon Pipe like the one we used in Malaysia. Only RM$ 14.00 per pc. One pc length is 14 feet. One track normally takes up to about 150 to 200 pipes, depends on the size. Total costs: RM$ 2,100.00 to $ 2,800.00 Much cheaper than building cement barriers over the track. I am sure what you budgeted earlier will be lower than expected. Most American and UK track are build this way.

It is very cheap to buy, durable and it makes the track more exciting as you can change the whole layout when necessary. Most failure of permanet track is the dead layout. After a while, it becomes boring.

Remember years ago, when you had the buggy track at campsite, every race we got a different layout. Very challenging and interesting. With the movable track concept, the track maintenance will very low. Cause it is move to even out the wear of the track.

Also, use cement to it's advantage. Lay out some corners or small parts with cement. This will prevent wear further. Also it add on the challenge. Some place got traction, some places minimum traction.

Lim, I hope this helps as if you used nylon pipe, it will lower the costs to a minimum. So the track will be more feasible.

As time goes by, when the members grow, all the rest of the facilities can come in slowly.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lim,

Offroaders are not picky people. All we need is a track. Even with the minimum facilities. We just show up. Remember Sentosa. Everyone understand.

I could help too. You can count on me.

I guess, after so many years, we need a home. On road have one. I guess it's fair we have one too.

Hope it's coming!!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Okay guys, great ideas.

Do help to sound out the LHS people that you are close to. What we need is a possible interest and a guage of how deep their pockets would be.

I am working closely with SK too, so if you guys can work with whichever LHS you care close to we can get more done faster.

Okay, those who would love to recce the site THIS IS IT

Now don't get too happy too fast, there is already a ready piece of location that we could use, but we cannot use. It is what the government body term as a buffer zone for the adjacent site.

The area they are willing to give us is in this attachment. When you recce the site you will understand why the need of $$ to level it out.

Terence & Dennis Teo's MT gang use to hang out at the super jumps of the BMX Track. Actually, this opportunity was the result of initial efforts of the 2 brothers (Thanks to them).

Now, don't go lifting up your spirits too high - okay
Attached Thumbnails Possible ?! a Singapore 1/8 Buggy Track ??-tampines-track-layout2.jpg  

Last edited by phlim; 09-17-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Iceman27

So that's the place that we are talking about... awesome...!!! Remember the last time I was there, there were some RC planes & helis in the region. That could be something that we have to think about & that's how to avoid frequency clashes.

Cheers!

Old 09-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Iceman27

BTW, if most of you guys are going to the 21st race in Pasir Gudang, it may be a good time to sit down and throw some ideas around over coffee?

Cheers!

Old 09-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Hello guys!!

I've got some suggestion to make regarding the permanent track in Singapore.

Why not do it like we did in building the new Ancol track.
The track was built with donations from all Indonesian Buggy driver especially in Jakarta.
That time we had a big meeting from all racing teams, there we talk about the budget and how much roughly each driver need to donate.
We came up with Rp. 3,000,000.- each driver which was about Sin$600 each.
We also need at least 30 drivers to donate.
Amazingly within 3 weeks we had 30 drivers donated already;
Team Xtreme = 10 drivers
Team JA Sport = 6 drivers
Team Big one = 6 drivers
Team Dewils = 4 drivers
Independent = 4 Drivers

But we still need to pay the rent for the land every month.
That we paid from collecting fee from every driver that practise at the track.
We also had a trasury that any profit from races will be saved up for expenses to the Track.

I believe you guys can do it too, as there are more Buggy drivers in Singapore than in Indonesia.
Good luck with the track and DON'T EVER FORGET TO INVITE US TO YOUR RACES AT THE NEW TRACK!
Or maybe make a fund raising Race sponsored by the LHS and all the monies raised to be used to the new track?!?!!?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Xtreme
Hello guys!!

I've got some suggestion to make regarding the permanent track in Singapore.

Why not do it like we did in building the new Ancol track.
The track was built with donations from all Indonesian Buggy driver especially in Jakarta.
That time we had a big meeting from all racing teams, there we talk about the budget and how much roughly each driver need to donate.
We came up with Rp. 3,000,000.- each driver which was about Sin$600 each.
We also need at least 30 drivers to donate.
Amazingly within 3 weeks we had 30 drivers donated already;
Team Xtreme = 10 drivers
Team JA Sport = 6 drivers
Team Big one = 6 drivers
Team Dewils = 4 drivers
Independent = 4 Drivers

But we still need to pay the rent for the land every month.
That we paid from collecting fee from every driver that practise at the track.
We also had a trasury that any profit from races will be saved up for expenses to the Track.

I believe you guys can do it too, as there are more Buggy drivers in Singapore than in Indonesia.
Good luck with the track and DON'T EVER FORGET TO INVITE US TO YOUR RACES AT THE NEW TRACK!
Or maybe make a fund raising Race sponsored by the LHS and all the monies raised to be used to the new track?!?!!?
Oh yeah.. a fund raising race.. hmmz that interesting!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

phlim - not trying to be a wet blanket but while we look fwd to plan for a future track, can we look at the past as well and see why some off-road tracks have failed? what happened to the campsite off-road track? SAFRA's track was centrally-located (doubt we'll ever find another track that central again??!!) and supported by LHS initially and yet look at what happened.

> what can we learn what can we do to prevent that from happening again?

it's one thing to get the ball rolling but it's another thing to sustain it .. as experience at the PA on-road track has shown.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default hobby shop support

Hi Guys

I am willing to come out with some money(a bit ) and my time to do up the track hope this can make the idea come true faster.

BK Lim
Old 09-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TAMPINES BMX TRACK

Perfect locality Mr Lim & exact site we've proposed to CCKRCMC
previously that was rejected as impossible.

Let's get ur signature down quickly on the lease b4 they changed their mind.

1) Dun worry about levelling the place 1st, it will b flatten
naturally in no time if the weekend turn-out is high,

2) 4" white PVC pipes lane markers as suggested by Danny
is most ideal, though they cost more than double here,

3) Natural jumps r necessary considering the area is frequented
by bikers, as plywood ramp would b damaged quickly by them.
Trust me, we had many bad experiences during our 'chow tee goo' tracks time with these guys. These bikers simply love buggy track though they hv theirs just beside. U know, 'other ppl's wife is always better'.

4) Driver stand - well, we can get CCKRCMC 2 sponsor the white
elephant still standing @ the previous CCK buggy track.

Pls keep us posted on the status & get the project underway
asap. Let's worry about the luxury later on as things start 2
take shape & more public interest is generated.

HERE'S ANOTHER 3 CHEERS TO MR LIM !.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Iceman27

Alright...!!! The 1st positive response from a LHS... 3 cheers for BK... hip hip hurray...!!!

I think the point the wyl03 raised is very true. We should look @ the past failures and learn the mistakes to avoid. Then we will have a better chance @ suceeding.

I had just come from a meeting with some overseas delegates. From what i had observed, they were here to seek funding for their own development. But they were able to put it in such a way that it was going to be our loss if we didn't put in $$ into this development. THIS is the kind of plan that we need to put up to potential investors (LHS, STPB, etc.).

We should value-add to 'investors' to what the club/track can do in return for them rather than always asking for 'donations'. If we are able to do that, sustaining the club/track would be much easier.

What do you guys think? BTW, count me in if we are going to see some real action (planning, etc.)!

Cheers!

Old 09-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default hi,

Hi,

Let's not work on the basis that we will require funding from LHS or any entities. RC is a hobby, hobbyist comes together to made it happen. KK, Micheal, Kyelim ...........{lots of dots here removed by phlim so that the screen will not overflow the sides}............. etc, they are always readily helping out in maintaining the track. Look at the Woodlands one, no funding from LHS except on some donation and hard work from fellow off-roader, is it a failure?

Just as KK has said, the first thing is to get the lease first, setting up the track is going to be a breeze with help from KK and gang and it will get more challenging over time when we add more obstacle to it.

Last edited by phlim; 09-18-2003 at 06:00 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.