Wiki Posts
Search

Mini inferno - brushless

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mini inferno - brushless

Hi,

New to the sport... really new(Day 5). Anyway, the sales guy at Toykar told me that they have races for this car. So i thought it would be fun for my nephew and I to get started with this.

Any recommendations on a good brushless motor, ESC and servo? I have been reading on this and realized I need to upgrade everything. Can I use the stock transmitter?

Lots of terms I do not understand but it is interesting.

Thanks ppl.

Oops
Old 03-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chadoops
Hi,

New to the sport... really new(Day 5). Anyway, the sales guy at Toykar told me that they have races for this car. So i thought it would be fun for my nephew and I to get started with this.

Any recommendations on a good brushless motor, ESC and servo? I have been reading on this and realized I need to upgrade everything. Can I use the stock transmitter?
Glad to have one more person in the hobby.
If you want to change to brushless and to race, you might want to first check if it will be allowed in the races that you're interested in.

I think the Mamba brushless & esc combo is not too bad. Not too sure what other brand is good, but you can always go down to any of the hobby shops who are usually very friendly & helpful. (Some suggestions: Hobbylink, Elite, BK, rotor).

Do note that if you upgrade to a brushless, you would also need to consider if you will need upgrade the drivetrain to cope with the greater forces.

Originally Posted by chadoops

Lots of terms I do not understand but it is interesting.

Thanks ppl.

Oops
That's what makes the hobby fun
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Brushless ESC & Motor alone will cost you an arm and a leg. I dont think it's a good idea to spend so much when starting out on RC. Furthermore Mini Inferno is 1/16th scale, so it's harder to find 'standard' upgrades to fit. I have seen souped up Mini-Inferno on SKFW track and it's really fast and jumps high too, but the guy driving it is one hardcore enthusiast who will bring along half dozen custom made Lithium Polymer packs!

I suggest you also try 1/10th electric buggies, they are much easier to upgrade. Kyosho has the Lazer ZX5. Or if you have budget constraint, try the Tamiya Dark Impact or Keen Hawk.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Nov
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just got my Mini-Inferno lately too...

I think Lipos are not a must, cos I'm running 8-cell 1400s with Mamba 25...The setup seems to be relatively ok to the drivetrain...But mind you that I'm running onroad...

As Ken4 has mentioned, a brushless system cost almost the car itself...Mamba is more expensive ($230+) compared to the non-reversible aircraft ESC/BL combo...(My friend's BL setup for his RS4 cost $150)

I would suggest you to get something else like oil shocks or anything to make your car more durable...BL would be something to get when you're used to the buggy and want abit more speed...

Oh yea, where do you guys discuss Mini-Inferno ar? Need abit of help here and there...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Tks for the reply guys!

Nov - where did you get your Mamba and ESC? I believe if you change the motor and ESC, you need to change received and servo since they have 4 wires?

What receiver and servo should I get? Also, can I use the original transmitter and just change the crystals?

We know its not going to be cheap but have decided to do up 2-3 cars, small to large, maybe even nitro if we think we can handle it.

BIG tks.
ooooops
Old 03-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Nov
Tech Master

I got my Mamba from Singapore Hobby Supplies...They're the local distributor...
Yea, you need to change the receiver and servo...Cos I remember the stock receiver is a Rx with ESC combo...As well due to the 4 wire servo...

Last time I could not use my Futaba 3PK with AM Module on the stock Receiver...Dunno whether it works for original Tx and non-stock Receiver...

As for new Rx and servo...I guess it would depend on the Tx/Rx system you're gonna get...Servo wise, its Micro servo only...I'm using Hitec HS-81...
Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Nov,

So did you add any new ball bearings to your inferno? I am planning to replace the bearings on my buggy. Just a little worried about opening up the gearbox... and not being able to put it back together lol.

But I'll try.

oooops!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Nov
Tech Master

In fact I got my Inferno 2nd hand with hopups...
So I dunno whether the car came with bushings or bearings in the first place...Sorry bout that!

Anyway, dun worry about the gearbox...Just try to remember the way you open it and reverse method for installing it back...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Nov,

Tks for your help.

So where does the heat sink attach? if I put in a new brushless, ESC, receiver, servo... where is the heat sink? I presume all EP buggies have a heat sink.

What is the purpose and where is it attached?

oooops
Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Nov
Tech Master

Do you mean the heatsink that looks like those for GP Engine?
I think its for cosmetic use...Dun need to put...

Unless the heatsink is for motor, then need to put...BL motor abit hot...
Old 03-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok thanks.

So the BL motor doesn't really need a heat sink unless it gets too hot, is that what you are saying?

Thanks
e.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Nov
Tech Master

No, I meant the BL motor should put a heatsink...

I've not installed any heatsink, so I dun run the buggy continuously...
Also if you gear it high, the motor gets hotter...