Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Esc: will running more cells hurt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Esc: will running more cells hurt?

i'm thinking of using 8 cells on my old F1 Bullet reverse which has a 7 cell limit with 15 turn dual motor limit.

i use dual stock mabuchis(27 turns). would this be ok?
i'm not an engineer or technician, so i don't understand the significance of voltage with respect to the function of the FETs, though the motor amperage with dual 27 turns is way below the bullet's maxmum specs.

so, my question: is 1 cell above the recommended voltage limit safe while keeping within the amp limit?
Old 02-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

some escs cannot support more than the input voltage recommended,u have 2 check ur esc's spec 1st b4 trying so that u wun damage it...no point blowing ur a prefect working esc rite?
Old 02-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

hm.. ok, i'll try looking for the FET ratings. can't seem to find though
Old 02-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

hi huasze,

most esc built nowdays r more for leisure or racing.the leisure one r usually up to 15T~18T.Racing ones r usually up to 7-cells, reason is most racing bodies only allow 6 cells racing.very rare they run 7 cells.Only few esc company like Tekin and Novak make more then 8 cells.Most of the Tekin like 4-11,4-12 or 4-20 modelscan take more then 10 cells.Like the 4-20G2, it can take up to 20 cells.i think it not feasible for an esc company to make 8 cells when racing bodies only allow up to 6 cells at most 7 cells.With battery technology, we now have 3300 compare 10 years ago 1200~2000mAH.A big leap in the R/C industry.Do we need 7 cells anymore?

i think it not safe to plug in to much voltage in the esc when it only specified 7 cells.

cheers...
Old 02-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

hey i guess you're right, no point stressing the esc.
the reason i'm using 7 cells is cos i'm lazy to change motors on my tamiya wild dagger. 8 cells makes the thing much faster without the hot motors that decrease runtime.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Location: founding member of THE "like to post BIG BIG pictures in the Off Topic, Special Interest Group".
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

here's my take on the subject.
3300 mah cell = 1.2volts
1500 mah cell = 1.2volts.
700 mah cell = 1.2volts.

amps different from volts.....you do get more punch from higher amp batts but the volts remain the same.

when was the last time you charged a (healthy) 7.2volt pack and got only 7.2volts?......

my cells charge all the way up to 1.48volts each most of the time when it doesn't false peak.

so if you do the maths dudes.....when you use an esc with 7cell limit and you plug in a 7 cell pack...it should blow up but it doesn't. coz they have a sort of a "buffer" zone.

this does not mean that you should intentionally plug in 8 cells to a 7cell limit esc.....i don't think it will blow up straight away but you're pushing it if you do and no warranty will cover it.

lastly, if you use 6cells on a 7cell limit esc BUT severely overgear the motor you will still destroy your esc (not to mention your motor) even though you didn't exceed the cell limit.
but that's just what i think

Last edited by overtki11; 02-10-2003 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Location: founding member of THE "like to post BIG BIG pictures in the Off Topic, Special Interest Group".

Originally posted by huasze
hey i guess you're right, no point stressing the esc.
the reason i'm using 7 cells is cos i'm lazy to change motors on my tamiya wild dagger. 8 cells makes the thing much faster without the hot motors that decrease runtime.
huasze....get the Mtronic truck esc...98 bucks 10 cells limit.
wack 10 (5 cells on each side of your dagger) with stock cans = ZOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM. no need for mod motors.........oh and while you're picking up the esc, pick up some spare dogbones as well.....why do you think my dagger is on my shelf at home....
Old 02-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

hyak...thinking of buying that already. 7 cells stock motor is already very fast for me! wonder what 10 cells will do. haha your dagger has been abused with a big A...on 7 cells, it hasn't broken anything. yet...but i got slight problem. my charger can charge 4 to 8 cells only. if i make 1 10 cells pack much easier than making 2 5 cellers that can only be used on 1 car
Old 02-10-2003, 07:29 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by overtki11
here's my take on the subject.
3300 mah cell = 1.2volts
1500 mah cell = 1.2volts.
700 mah cell = 1.2volts.

amps different from volts.....you do get more punch from higher amp batts but the volts remain the same.
Mah refers to capacity.....has no bearing on the Amps you can draw........
Old 02-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by dtm
Mah refers to capacity.....has no bearing on the Amps you can draw........
true true, but the last time i tried to run a 540 size motor on 700 mah batts the acceleration is like...not there, batts got super hot.....but with 2000 or 2400mah, takes off normal. so while in theory it should have no bearing...in real life it does....well at least when i tried it.