Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
How much are you willing to pay to use a world-class track? >

How much are you willing to pay to use a world-class track?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much are you willing to pay to use a world-class track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Talking I do not represent RCMC here, just 2 cents from my own pocket.

My support and respect goes to the efforts of the volunteers and fananciers of the Turf City facility. But xakiat - thanks for starting this thread to let everyone have a chance to think out of the box.

xakiat: I must commend you on your brave and fine effort thus far, please keep it up. Not too long ago, I obtained an in-principle approval for a 3 year lease of land at Tampines, beside the BMX area. A full blown track cost came back at around $30,000. I stripped off everything and finally came to a figure of $10,000 to get the job off the ground. What did I get? Well lots of interest and verbal support. When it comes to put the money where the mouth is, it was ... let's just say "unavailable". Our Indonesian friend told me, all I need is 20 guys to folk out $500 each to make $10k - I agree and would be the first one. But, alas, I couldn't find 19 more. Therefore, I am fully supportive of your efforts, please keep it up. Meanwhile, I continue to support the guys at Turf City.

Originally Posted by Arahawak
All said and done, if funds are seriously lacking, I would suggest besides looking for a sponsor, maybe we could hold a fund-rasier thingy. Of course we do need the support of the drivers, hobbists and the shop owners and not forgetting RCMC itself. (What say you Phlim? )
Why do you have to drag me into the mud?? This thread is already getting very interesting to watch la, other than watching the Taiwanese bash up Ah Bian on TV. So, Arahawak, I need $$$ sponsors for the Challenge 2 event, can I count you as one?

Originally Posted by Arahawak
but i do feel embarrass to hold an invitational race when we lack of this basic facilities.)
Well I don't, and I am going to hold an Invitational Race, do join us please and support us so that it would be less embarrassing lo Let me tell you what is embarassing - when you organize an event and 95% of the turnout are your overseas guests, out of th 5% local boys who swear their bloody hearts out to support you, only 1 turned out for the event. NOT POSSIBLE, did I hear anyone of you say that? Well, it did, it was 6 years ago.

Originally Posted by xakiat
RCMC is working very hard to make things perfect. But I assure you, your annual $80 membership fee is reasonable for a very nice paved track that cost about 1,500 times your fee to build.
It's 1,937.5 times to be exact la.

Originally Posted by pole_position
Anyway did anyone ask why IFMAR never return after that? Not because 1/12th no longer exist but simply we are just not having a F??KING good venue to bring them here!
Pole, my views differ; The cantonese says "Yeah Hai Say Ge, Yan Hai Sunk Ge". I will not doubt the fact that with the required resources, one can create a facility that would meet iFMAR standards. However, what we lack is volunteers who can command a presence. I am a volunteer, but I can't command a presence, and I have not seen anyone else who can. In 1990, we have one such man - when he speaks, everyone in the RC community listens, when he says go, no one sits, when he says it is done, it is done. He did it, he put his money where his mouth is. No one else has done it, but surely many have claim that they too can do it, but that has yet to be proven. Or has anyone of you see another iFMAR event done here, which I was unaware of?

Originally Posted by Panic
Turf City has everything....including a big Supermarket like GIANT to cater to your last min needs like double sided tapes...containers....cleaners....wat more to ask for?
I fully agree with Panic's views on RC@Turf. Fine place, I enjoyed it totally. Kudos to the team who put in their sweat. Especially to those who put in both their $$$ and sweat and resources.

Originally Posted by xakiat
Dirtdynamics, ... I remember reading about how you mentioned the PA Campsite track failed because users played cat-and-mouse with the security guards and refused to pay to the point where they closed the track.
Just a point of clarification. This would be the on road track at the East Coast Recreation Centre. It was built and maintained by the East Coast Recreation Centre. Beside MacDonalds. It sure brings back fond memories. The East Cost Recreation Centre finally lease off the land to a Viking operator. Now, it has become a recreational area.

You are all entitled to your own views and for me, mine. I'll now spent my time on preparing for an "embarassing" 2006 Singapore Invitational Challenge 2. Here's looking forward to your support in both $$$ and participation.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phlim

Why do you have to drag me into the mud?? This thread is already getting very interesting to watch la, other than watching the Taiwanese bash up Ah Bian on TV. So, Arahawak, I need $$$ sponsors for the Challenge 2 event, can I count you as one?

Well I don't, and I am going to hold an Invitational Race, do join us please and support us so that it would be less embarrassing lo Let me tell you what is embarassing - when you organize an event and 95% of the turnout are your overseas guests, out of th 5% local boys who swear their bloody hearts out to support you, only 1 turned out for the event. NOT POSSIBLE, did I hear anyone of you say that? Well, it did, it was 6 years ago.
Hi PHLim, I do apologize if i am so blantant in my comments. No offense to you and anybody. We all know we need $$$, however, in answer to your question, yes i would, if the fund-raising event is happening.

However, yes i will and do support the races held in PA Campsite whenever possible.

Whatever it is.. I still give you the credits for what you have done contributed. You are the man! Keep it up!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Salute to PHLim

Most sensible comment sir PHLim, who have been through it all and yet still dedicated to this world of hobby.

Deserves the fullest respect.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Default to xakait

talk so much for what?do the world class track la than i go support if nothing to do go n sleep.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I play in sengkang often and I am staying in Jurong. In dollars and cents, I save more $ playing in turf then in sengkang due to high petrol cost which cost me close to 10 buck driving up and down, not mentioning the time wasted on the road, but why play in sengkang where it only take me 8 minutes to reach turf compare to 1/2 hour of travelling.

This is the reason that persuded me time and time again to head for sengakang track than turf. First, I find that the track is pretty well thought out and this is only my main consideration, minus the need for a 7-eleven, mcdonald, pit table, shelter and occassionally friendly doggies walking around the track making sure that no other doggies poo on the track, I find the track definitely not world class but neither is it third world.

It is just personal perference, a choice to be able to play on a more laid back environment without the hustle and bustle.

It not that people are not willing to pay 8 dollars a day to play or 30 buck for a month to dirty my buggy on turf, it just sometime too "pack" to play. anyway other buggy users are not complaining. kudos to the turf guys for this techincal track. I dont know whether this is true but some of the hobby shops are contributing monthly to the up keeping of the turf track, just to keep the hobby alive and well sustained into the future.

Will there be a senarios whereby you have a pay a sum to enter the track and have wait for "space" to get your buggy onto the world class track. something like the Raffles town club. too many members too little space.

After reading what is posted here, I must really SALUTE those guys who bulit this "Secret" track for the benefit of other RC hobbyist in which they demand no monetary nor individual labour contribution for this track. I believed that URA WILL CLEAN UP THE TRACK one day, on the meantime I would enjoy the track till the time comes for it to go.

I dont know whether should I be putting this in but I hard from me NOT to read in between the lines, as I would decipher it as this- those who play in sengkang track are whose who are not willing to fork out a single cents other than buy what they need to keep their car running and therfore being branded as "cheapskate". Cheapskate with kaisu mentality that bring to a collapse of a track or worst, a hobby.

it is just personal perferences, we cannot stop people doing what they deem approriate. I would assume that if one day sengkang track closed, another illegal track will built.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Default Good post....

but not really relevant....

It is just personal perference, a choice to be able to play on a more laid back environment without the hustle and bustle.
definitely your call on this...no doubt.....SengKang is a nice place to hang out for sure...i stay ard that area

I dont know whether this is true but some of the hobby shops are contributing monthly to the up keeping of the turf track, just to keep the hobby alive and well sustained into the future.
The only ppl i know contributing monthly are the ones who leased the place and they are owners of *RC @ TURF*

those who play in sengkang track are whose who are not willing to fork out a single cents other than buy what they need to keep their car running and therfore being branded as "cheapskate". Cheapskate with kaisu mentality that bring to a collapse of a track or worst, a hobby.
dun read too deep into the line....you are straying from this discussion, anybody can play anywhere...even buy a 1000 dollars monster truck or buggy and play in the void deck...no problem....

it is just personal perferences, we cannot stop people doing what they deem approriate. I would assume that if one day sengkang track closed, another illegal track will built.
That's right....and another will be closed....we can try and make Turf City a better place to stay for a longer time....well you never know, it may become a WORLD CLASS track with all the support from you guys.

Ciao
Old 06-20-2006, 04:34 AM
Tech Adept

Once upon a time, before even Turf City track existed, there were a few of us hobbyist who had monster trucks or buggies but had nowhere to play. We had to make do with the Tampines BMX track which in all honesty, was not meant for rc purpose. Hence, we took the initiative to recce for a plot of land and build a track for us to bash around.. It was by no means a 'secret' track as we spread words around so that fellow hobbyist could play on a proper track.. As more and more players came to use the track, we brought tables and chairs and even built a driver stand.. It may not have the proper facilities but it sure provides the players with an opportunity to loot and we are proud of it.. We know it might not last so enjoy it while it is still there..It is a good place to practise and prepare for the monthly races at Turf.. (Even though i don't know how to shim my diff, i'm proud to qualify for B main in the last race ).

The guys in the Turf City have been doing a great job as well. They maintain the track and organise monthly races.. The only difference is that we have to pay to use the track and that is perfectly fine as there are bills to pay and more importantly, it is an official track. In my opinion, the track is already world class if compared to other tracks around the region. It has already hosted an Invitational race which were attended by overseas drivers.. I am definitely not embarassed to admit that RCMC has done a wonderful job in organising the event..

To conclude, for those who started this thread, please channel your energy positively.. Don't start the thread by criticising the 'secret' track or the Turf City track.. You started on the wrong foot mate!! Basically, there are 3 options.. Firstly, you could use the 'secret' track (we are friendly people and we welcome everybody). Secondly, you could support the track in Turf City and make it an even better track..Thirdly, you could go ahead and build your own world class track.. No worries mate!! (I actually stayed in Australia for 5 years so pardon me the Australian influence)..
Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Ese,why the hell is tiz ese??come on tres puntos,tiz hobby for fun fun.u know what i mean....if nt...build ur own ghetto trestos ese....des pruntos er carnale....ok juboh karat dont banyak ngomong...juz have fun and play...wanna better track...build ur own at ur popi graveyard.....sorry to use peh puns word...ok dude n dudettes....4get about the nonsense...lets juz hv fun n play..ENJOY RC ESE.....................
Old 06-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

xakiat: Just to share with you my previous unsucessful effort, you can read all about it at: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24422 I sincerely hope that you would be more successful than me. As for me, I will continue to support RC@Turf and the Senkang Boys.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Kudos Kudos uwadockers....very positive comment and i do play @ BMX track too

Cheers to peace and another racer
Old 07-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is my first post, so be nice.

I guess the better approach is to get a buy-in from the authorities, like town council, to build a track. Much like the same justification with the numerous Futsal courts in the heartlands. I have stopped playing gas car 4 years ago but started some 8 years with my first on-road car was a Picco. I often run-in on top of multi-storey carparks and warned by the police too many times. I used to asked my MP, what does it takes to build a track no bigger than 12 carpark lots and all he says that write to town council, which I did but says lack of justification. Now, when races are organized/held almost every month, and some MP are invited as VIP. Can we get these VIP to support the sport or interest by committing to built more tracks. Seriously, this is the best way forward. To get land, construct and approvals without know-how, deep pockets and full focus is a mountain to climb. The scene is already well established with races with overseas participation, what it needs is some support from town councils, indirectly MPs, the media ... and then sponsors will come to get product placements and mileage. Remember, getting the MP as VIP is already a big milestone, we should take the next step.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 AM
kit
Tech Apprentice

Default SK8park

years ago(late 80s), at our teens. ..we were chase by police for sk8boarding ,

so we wrote to PA, to help us write to paya lebar CC, to build us a 7ft haft pile for skate boarding. within 2 weeks Paya lebar CC fund us the Money, it started with a half pile then next a 8ft 1/4 pile then follow by some ramp too....We did build a sk8parks there with the help from PA .

(anyone here ever vist the paya lebar CC B4 in the late 80s)

Now these days everyone talks alot....but no action.......
(The groups of guys from sengkang.. don't talk only...they got Action-they Build a great off road track-that allow a 1/8 buggy to fly 8ft )

Last edited by kit; 07-18-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

must agree wif kit... ppl from sengkang really taken action in building up a track which is quite popular other than the turf city track... unlike the one who started this thread, no actions yet... but to the ppl who build the sengkang track, can i suggestion that u guys dun lock up the equipments for building the track... i'm sure there r ppl there who will patch up or build higher jumps when they play during the weekends...thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KickStart
must agree wif kit... ppl from sengkang really taken action in building up a track which is quite popular other than the turf city track... unlike the one who started this thread, no actions yet... but to the ppl who build the sengkang track, can i suggestion that u guys dun lock up the equipments for building the track... i'm sure there r ppl there who will patch up or build higher jumps when they play during the weekends...thanks
and i am sure that there are peope who want to "borrow" and never return it...
Not you lah but i mean there are people like that ... weird mofos....
Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KickStart
We used to not lock the equipment.. They got stolen and so we've got no choice but to lock them.. If you guys want to help doing up the track, we'll be most often than not be at Sengkang on Sundays.. Cheers..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.