Main Phone: (217) 352-1913
Toll-Free: (800) 338-4639
Support Phone: (877) 504-0233
Sales Phone: (800) 338-4639
Fax: (217) 355-1552
Old 01-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Help with telemetry system

I got the electric kit and I had a question about the voltage. The voltage is reading half of what it sould be. For example the batery voltage is around 7.2 the display reads 3.75 around there but it is half of what it sould be. It anyone else have this before?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have a Spektrum system in my 3PK and 4 receivers controlling various vehicles. I too experienced the shut-down problem, but so far it's only on two of my vehicles. I've swapped ESCs (LRP to Futaba to Novak) and servos (digitals to standards), but everything seemed to follow a particular receiver or two.

Funny thing is, the cars I'm having trouble with are plastic chassis Tamiyas running Mabuchi 540 motors. No problems with my brushless or 19-turn TCs, so it's hard to believe it would be related to power surges. And I've been running both indoor and outdoor, so I can't blame it all on carpet. Looks like it's time to dial up the old internet and do some research......

FIX #1 CAPACITORS
After seeing several posts regarding the BEC voltage issue with LRPs, I ordered up several of the 4700 uF caps from Horizon. I put caps on both suspect vehicles after they acted up again, but it only helped one of the two cars. It got me racing again, but I didn't have time to swap anything else that night. For the record, the vehicle still having trouble has an LRP QC2 ESC, and the one that was "fixed" was running a Novak GT7. However, I was also running a stock TC with an LRP QC2 that night and had no trouble at all.

FIX #2 TX MODULE ANTENNA
I next saw the post on the Horizon site about the antenna routing. I looked at my antenna routing a few minutes ago, and it is in fact screwed up. But if it's the transmitter that's the problem, why does it only shut down on one or two of my vehicles? I did see a few posts from folks that had good luck after rerouting their antenna wires, so I should probably send my system in and see if it helps.

FIX #3 NEW SOFTWARE
I also noticed that they now have a software fix that "completely solves the issue". They say it's an ESD problem that can be fixed by software. I guess anything is possible.

So let's see, that's THREE different solutions now to attempt to fix the same problem with the shut-down. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Spektrum. I just wish they had a more definitive solution than to use the "try this, now this" method. Too bad they haven't put a simple feature in that allows the end user to disable the failsafe. Heck, I know they can do that in software.

Last edited by minimadman2003; 01-15-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:00 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Help! I was racing last night. Leading the B-main with half a minute to go. I rolled the car like 2 times. It wasn't even a violent roll and the car shut down. I thought my battery pack came apart but the marshall said I still had power cuz' all the leds were still on (Q2, pt, spektrum reciever). So I end up losing the bump to the A-main. When I got the car I shut it down then turned it back on and to my shock it worked like normal. I read about this shut down thing. This sucks! What should I do? I performed the Antenna Mod. on my M8 and the wire isn't routed on the circuit board like the state in the spektrum site. It's the M8/m11 version and the reciever is brand new.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
Help! I was racing last night. Leading the B-main with half a minute to go. I rolled the car like 2 times. It wasn't even a violent roll and the car shut down. I thought my battery pack came apart but the marshall said I still had power cuz' all the leds were still on (Q2, pt, spektrum reciever). So I end up losing the bump to the A-main. When I got the car I shut it down then turned it back on and to my shock it worked like normal. I read about this shut down thing. This sucks! What should I do? I performed the Antenna Mod. on my M8 and the wire isn't routed on the circuit board like the state in the spektrum site. It's the M8/m11 version and the reciever is brand new.
I have heard that static electrity causes the same issue "shutdown".
Old 01-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

I have 3 receivers. One of them is very sensitive and is always shutting down, every slight tap on the boards. One has never shut down (indoor on carpet) and the third is about midway between the others. The sensitive one and the good one have the same number on the circuit board. The midway one has lower number.

I have Futaba transmitter and the transmitter module wire is incorrectly routed. I'm not shipping anything in for repairs, it costs about the same to simply buy new set. I wish Horizon would sell me new antenna so I could fix it my self. I'm thinking about using some isolation, maybe aluminum foil and shrink wrap, on the antenna wire to fix, or at least reduce the problem.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Considering I'm just getting back to racing... I've met the boards quite a few times. Though a couple of parts have cried uncle on the TC4... not once has the Spektrum given me issues.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:51 PM

Well hopefully it was a fluke thing for me. I know in practice I shattered a front arm on my Jrxs. I hit that corner soo hard and it didn't shut down on me! It only happend this once when my car rolled two times at such a rate it seemed like it was in slow motion.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

I have 4 receivers in 4 different cars. Two of the receivers have never given me a problem, but the other two have been hit or miss. When I was at the TCS Nats last year I was having problems in my mini. I swapped receivers, added the capacitor, and even swapped servos but no luck. I finally swapped ESCs from a QC1 to a Futaba MC330 and the problem seemed to go away. I was told by several racers that the QC1 had low BEC voltage, and that was my problem. I run a QC2 in my Xray and it has never let me down, even with a modified motor and no power capacitors. And in that car I run a digital servo.

Well I pull the mini out this season and install a GT7, and now it shuts down on me again. I installed the capacitor and the problem seemed to go away. However, I also had a shut down problem with a different mini, and the capacitor didn't do anything to help that one. I looked at the Spektrum site again today and noticed something about the receiver antenna routing. They say either route the antenna vertical, or start vertical and let it go horizontal. In both minis my antenna runs horizontal and then vertical. Wonder if it's as simple as that?

I wish I could get it to fail in my house so I can experiment more, but during a race night there's only so much you can do between rounds.

I bought a new module, but not before checking the antenna wiring on it. So now I'm going to send my old unit and my mini receivers in for the antenna mod and hopefully the new magic software update. I assume it's warranty, because they didn't say anything about charging me for it when I called. I can't see paying for a problem they're willing to admit.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Hi guys,

I 've read a few posts. This shut-down thing just recently happened to me. I run almost the same set-up as one you. Xray Fk05, QC2, PT, Air digital servo. At first, I thought it was a very flukish hit on my on/off switch but after happening again for the third time, I guess not. The strange thing is that this never happened before when I used it on my M8 and there were no problems either when I switched to the M11 except recently.

I am thinking maybe the receiver needs to be serviced. This will pan out when I swap out the receiver from my other car. However, if it happens with the other receiver, what should I do? Is there another upgrade needed? I thought these were already upgraded when they made the mod to fit the M11s.

Can anyone comment on this. Also there was some debate about how the "Pros" don't use Specktrum. Perhaps they know something we don't know? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I have the same problem. It works flawlessly until recently. it shuted down three times, alway at the same hairpin corner when I accelerated out, then it shutted down. I have a capacitor installed, and I'm not using a Q2. Is the shut down problem only happens indoor? Why "Pros" don't use it?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576
Ok, got it. Yes, that is the finished product !! excelent job Pit Crew .

Thanks.

I used 7805's.

The white wire plugs into the receiver for the signal to the servo. The servo plugs into the plug that is glued to the two 7805's.
It worked really well. But, with the servo I run and the very tight high traction track I run on, the very slight decrease in servo speed was enough to make a very VERY slight difference in response. SO, I still use the device, but use it to power my Personal Transponder. I plugged the cap back into the receiver and run my power for the servo off the receiver.

I am sure the device would work much better with the 7806's, for running the servo..(6volts) I didn't know they made those!! I"m going to try and find some of them and rebuild the device.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

I think this is more wide-spread problem than Spektrum wants to advertise (understandable). Their website makes it sound like we're one of just a few, but everyone I race with who has used the system has experienced an unknown shutdown at one time or another.

I've had problems indoor and outdoor, but my problem always occurs when I flip over. It doesn't have to be a violent flip either. Slow rolls are just as susceptable as major crashes.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
I think this is more wide-spread problem than Spektrum wants to advertise (understandable). Their website makes it sound like we're one of just a few, but everyone I race with who has used the system has experienced an unknown shutdown at one time or another.

I've had problems indoor and outdoor, but my problem always occurs when I flip over. It doesn't have to be a violent flip either. Slow rolls are just as susceptable as major crashes.
Thats what happened to mine! WTF
Old 01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Add another one to that count. Im waiting on someone from spektrum on this board. I was extremely happy with my first older KO spektrum setup, but unfortunately i sold that (kept one of the rec) and recently bought a new one with a Helios Comp system. Well i had NOTHING but problems. I checked out the antenna mod, no problem, funnily tho, when used with my old rec., it worked fine? yet Spektrum said it was a problem with the module? Luckily im good friends with the guys at my LHS and got a full refund. Personally, until i see a tonne of positive reports about spektrum fixing the problems, i wont be touching this system. Its a huge pity too as i truely loved the spektrum system. I hope they sort out ALL the bugs soon, and not just a few bugs! I too lost ALOT of track time. At our local track, our marshals even knew to switch off and switch on my car every time it stopped... very embarrassing.... Im now stuck using the KO rec. Ive had to resort to using an old futaba radio when racing two classes, as a KO rec and crystals is almost as much as a Spektrum system. Well at least I know the KO wont fail on me....
Old 01-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've had my Spektrum in my Helios for about 6 months now and I permanently mounted it a few months back. I've got 7 receivers and never had a problem.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

A mate bought a set for his Helios and he had to send it back. Now its been updated hes now up to about 7 receivers as well and has had no more problems.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

I just got confirmation that the module antenna mod and the software update are both FREE other than the price to ship the units to Horizon. They also assured me that updated hardware will work with older versions, and vice versa.

Looks like my "bad" module and two flaky receivers will be going back for the updates. Stay tuned as the saga continues.......
Old 01-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone tried out the telemetry module yet? Your thoughts please
Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

I got one and it seams to work ok, have not tried it on the track yet.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Several folks have asked why the "Pros" don't seem to run the Spektrum. I can only assume it's because they are sponsored by radio company XYZ and they wouldn't be too happy if their radio was "modified" with the Spektrum module. Or could it be the slightly slower response? Just guessing.

Any "Pros" out there care to expand?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PitCrew
Thanks.

I used 7805's.

The white wire plugs into the receiver for the signal to the servo. The servo plugs into the plug that is glued to the two 7805's.
It worked really well. But, with the servo I run and the very tight high traction track I run on, the very slight decrease in servo speed was enough to make a very VERY slight difference in response. SO, I still use the device, but use it to power my Personal Transponder. I plugged the cap back into the receiver and run my power for the servo off the receiver.

I am sure the device would work much better with the 7806's, for running the servo..(6volts) I didn't know they made those!! I"m going to try and find some of them and rebuild the device.

Thanks
Yepp..... 7806

I check underneath PCB of my futaba pcm 1024 receiver. The Red and Black signal pins ( CH.1,2.3, BATT ) are actually on the same channel. If I add booster cable to Red and Black BATT , CH.1,2,3 enjoy more power too.

I'm working right now to make BEC power booster like yours from ESC's batt input to Rx's batt input. MY ESC is LRP QC2, and I believe the continues BEC current is weaker than Novak GTX ( 3A ). LRP V7.1 continues BEC current is 1.2A.

I'm going to test it without additional capacitor.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Hey what a great idea, 2.4Ghz, no crystals, small antenae on both car and radio, previewed the great work by Horizon at the 2004 worlds (apart from it wouldn't work in one of the imported M8's at the meeting) got to have one of these, especially since the product has been on the market for quite some time, all the bugs should be sorted.
Go and buy one for a Mars R, install it as per instructions and S^%T were did my car go. Tried all the mods except the software as I am in Australia, Hmmmm no better. This thing shuts down mid straight, mid corner, mid any where and this is while a practice sesion for a meeting.
The mid straight shut down was fun watching my car disappear into the car park after travelling some 20 metres, and mid corners straight into the barriers (ouch)
All I sorted out was that the spectruma was a piece of crap.
Put the old crystal system back in and back to reliable racing.
I have in the mean time returned this garbage to the supplier and told him to throw it into his garbage bin as I don't want it destroying mine. All they can offer is a replacement unit, but in the mean time I have heard that another person is has had the same issues.
What gives with American companies being allowed to sell such crap and the customers not to have any legal actioin to take against them.
I guess it won't go down in the legends book like Corvairs, Pinto's and Firestone Tyres (sorry for those who can't spell "tires")
Old 01-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

First to comment on shutdowns. Yes I have had problems with that. But, I was routing the antenna wire through the rx case instead of straight out the top. I now route through the top and no problems (yet). Second I just got the telemetry system and I am trying to put it in my ft tc4. I am at a loss on the rpm sensor. If anyone has already mounted the sensor in a tc4 lmk how you did it. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576
Yepp..... 7806

I check underneath PCB of my futaba pcm 1024 receiver. The Red and Black signal pins ( CH.1,2.3, BATT ) are actually on the same channel. If I add booster cable to Red and Black BATT , CH.1,2,3 enjoy more power too.

I'm working right now to make BEC power booster like yours from ESC's batt input to Rx's batt input. MY ESC is LRP QC2, and I believe the continues BEC current is weaker than Novak GTX ( 3A ). LRP V7.1 continues BEC current is 1.2A.

I'm going to test it without additional capacitor.
I rebuilt the device using 7806's (acctually part number 936 I belive from a different manufacturer). I wired just a plug for the servo with a white wire(signal wire) so I am only powering the servo with the 6 volt regulated device. The receiver and PT are powered by the QC2.

Tested a few practice runs and two qualifiers. Steering response was quicker and faster than ever. Set TQ before leaving early to watch the Seahawks win and get their ticket to the SuperBOwl!!
So far, so good.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Need help on where to get the antenna connector found inside the module that connects the aerial black wiring to the PCB board inside.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i bought a KO spektrum kit here in oz and havent had a problem with it. when the antenna wire service announcement was made i opened my module and found mine was indeed an 'older' module where the wire went across the top of the PCB. still, no problems, great range, no shutdowns.

I guess I've been lucky. Having said that I do wonder if i should have my module returned and updated.. or if i should just leave it. it does work afterall? I've even cut my antenna down to 3.6" as recommended in the manual for 'underbody' installation. works a treat.

I'm soon to buy another spektrum reciever, will see how things go then!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I wouldn't have sent my unit in except that I was having trouble with a couple of my receivers. I'm not convinced the antenna routing in the transmitter would be causing the problem, but since I'm sending them in for the software update I figured I'd get the antenna rerouted as well.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fastolfart
Hey what a great idea, 2.4Ghz, no crystals, small antenae on both car and radio, previewed the great work by Horizon at the 2004 worlds (apart from it wouldn't work in one of the imported M8's at the meeting) got to have one of these, especially since the product has been on the market for quite some time, all the bugs should be sorted.
Go and buy one for a Mars R, install it as per instructions and S^%T were did my car go. Tried all the mods except the software as I am in Australia, Hmmmm no better. This thing shuts down mid straight, mid corner, mid any where and this is while a practice sesion for a meeting.
The mid straight shut down was fun watching my car disappear into the car park after travelling some 20 metres, and mid corners straight into the barriers (ouch)
All I sorted out was that the spectruma was a piece of crap.
Put the old crystal system back in and back to reliable racing.
I have in the mean time returned this garbage to the supplier and told him to throw it into his garbage bin as I don't want it destroying mine. All they can offer is a replacement unit, but in the mean time I have heard that another person is has had the same issues.
What gives with American companies being allowed to sell such crap and the customers not to have any legal actioin to take against them.
I guess it won't go down in the legends book like Corvairs, Pinto's and Firestone Tyres (sorry for those who can't spell "tires")
fastolfart, sorry to hear about your bad experience. But give it another shot when you get it back. There are a lot of people running it with sucess in the Mars R, once it's working you won't be dissapointed.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We picked up a DX3 several months ago. It's been in 3 different cars(1st a TC4, then a PRP 8th scale, and now my Pro-4), not one glitch... It didn't react to the chain link fence behind the track like all the AM radios, it didn't freak out in my 8th scale wich I had problems running FM in, and it seems to work fine with the brand new GTB 5.5 I installed in my Pro 4. A new local racing season is begining soon, gonna run it all year long

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.