Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree404Likes

Yokomo YZ-4 SF

Hide Wikipost
Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-4 SF
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DG Designs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Just a heads up for those whom run 13.5 and are looking to drop some weight. BD8 plastic/nylon satellite and bevel gears, with aluminum diff pins weighs about 10 grams less per diff. Shims behind plastic/nylon satellite gears are not needed so your dropping a tad more.
I run these in my 13.5 YZ4 belt and they have worked excellent and have worked great in mod application being ran on very dry low bite dirt. Wouldn’t recommend using in mod application if running on any surface condition that is not low bite.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norse
Just a heads up for those whom run 13.5 and are looking to drop some weight. BD8 plastic/nylon satellite and bevel gears, with aluminum diff pins weighs about 10 grams less per diff. Shims behind plastic/nylon satellite gears are not needed so your dropping a tad more.
I run these in my 13.5 YZ4 belt and they have worked excellent and have worked great in mod application being ran on very dry low bite dirt. Wouldn’t recommend using in mod application if running on any surface condition that is not low bite.
This is great, thanks!
Norse likes this.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I got one of the kits from the first A-main shipment, but just last night finally got to start the build. All I can say is WOW. This is my first Yok, and I've built AE, TLR, and Kyosho cars, but none of them come close to the build quality of this car. The others (with the exception of the new 22 4.0) all have a tendency to strip screws if you're not super careful, fitment issues, etc....nothing so far with the SF. So impressed. Hopefully the car drives on Astro as well as it builds on the bench!!!!
Norse, Pekr.da.skurl and archivist like this.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Any of you guys upgrading to the aluminum shock caps? Is there an advantage?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My rear springs are rubbing on the turnbuckles with the stock setup: shocks towards the front. Is this normal? Am I supposed to flip the A arms?
Old 01-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RC Junky
Mine will be here on Saturday. I lost one during practice this week. I was on the fence, but the plastic ones were out of stock. Advantages? Screw hole is unlikely to strip. Not sure about weight yet. I would say less chance of breaking, but the force will either go to my shock tower, or my stock shaft... we'll see.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by arydstedt
My rear springs are rubbing on the turnbuckles with the stock setup: shocks towards the front. Is this normal? Am I supposed to flip the A arms?
You'd have to show or describe the orientation if we're to suggest flipping the arm. If you've gone by the diagram, then you should not have to flip them (notice the upward flare at the end of the arms.) Whatever the case, springs rubbing anything other than shock body is probably not normal.

Hmm, just thought of something. Depending on where you put the ball link on the hub carrier, I suppose there could be some potential for rubbing (I'm not in front of my car right now.) If so, that explains why the shock can be mounted rearward. Hm. I'll have to test this when I get home.

BROOKLYYYN!!!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Did you mount the spacers between the tower and alu mounts?
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo YZ-4 SF-ska-rmklipp-2018-01-11-20.41.28.png  
Motorman007 and Pekr.da.skurl like this.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Try moving the turnbuckle on the hub back to the middle if its not already. Mine did the same that helped plus I added spacers next to the tower where the shocks mount to hold out the shock at the top more. I thought I saw Mayfields spaced out the same.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC Junky

Aluminum caps tend to provide a tad more pack also a bit more weight up high to increase chassis roll. One would think suck a minimal amount of weight would not effect squat but the pros can tell the difference. I personally don’t feel a difference per an increase in roll but increased pack is noticeable with the aluminum caps.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Diff oil weight

Ran my SF first time last night. Very durable car. I put kit diff in it for dirt. 5/5K. I felt "loose". Running high traction clay indoors. Thinking 10K front, maybe 7K rear.

THOUGHTS GUYS/INPUT?

Thanks,
Norse and archivist like this.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by noworries
Ran my SF first time last night. Very durable car. I put kit diff in it for dirt. 5/5K. I felt "loose". Running high traction clay indoors. Thinking 10K front, maybe 7K rear.

THOUGHTS GUYS/INPUT?

Thanks,
If you felt it was to loose for your liking you may want to change oil weight. I think the center gear diff would help a lot. SF Parts are available to build one using XB4 center gear diff spur gear. SWorks S104 evo center gear diff will drop right in to
noworries likes this.

Last edited by Norse; 01-13-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default Rubbin

Originally Posted by matterooth
Did you mount the spacers between the tower and alu mounts?
I did mount the spacers. Does anyone else have rubbing on their cars? Even with the Ball stud moved as far as possible the spring still rubs.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I did mount the spacers. Does anyone else have rubbing on their cars? Even with the Ball stud moved as far as possible the spring still rubs.
Both sides? Do you have a picture of the assembly/rubbing?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norse
If you felt it was to loose for your liking you may want to change. I think the center gear diff would help a lot. SF Parts are available to build one using XB4 center gear diff spur gear. SWorks S104 evo center gear diff will drop right in to
Thanks NORSE....
Norse likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.