Search
Like Tree24Likes

SC10 Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rustyus
So, parts are drying up fast. The good stuff is gone, unless you want to pay dearly to have an essential part shipped/imported from different parts of the world. I am currently trying to extend the life of parts that I have for my SC10s. Finally got around to replacing a few dogbone pins on my CVA/CVDs.

I was going to go with a RC specific tool for removing 2.5mm pins, but was told, by the company, there was a greater risk of breaking the tool while trying to use it on T4/B4/SC10 3/32 (2.38mm) pins. I opted to use a lower cost motorcycle chain breaker for my first go around at removing pin. Worked real well. After receiving the chain breaker in the mail, and setting it up,I was able to press a worn out pin through the ball of the dogbone within 30 seconds.

Putting new pin in...I took a different approach. I placed the dogbone on top of 5/32 (or 4mm) socket, and used a hammer to tap new pin in.

nice fine on the pins give an update there life span please.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Nice! Would you mind sharing what specific tool that is?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rmpsocal
Nice! Would you mind sharing what specific tool that is?

Thanks.
my guess is one for a dirt bike chain. I have tried a bicycle one just did not cut it a long time ago. Than I just hit an impulsive buy for the Hudy but have only used it for 1/8 scale.
Rmpsocal likes this.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just had to try a $16 no-name chain tool before I go out and spent $80 on a RC specific pin removal tool and extra push pins. https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-pc-Bike-...53.m2749.l2649

LOL. After receiving the chain breaker tool, and no instructions on how to use it, I started searching for the tool and came up with this article showing a similar tool...AUTOMODELISME - PetitRC.com - Replace CVD Pins
Rmpsocal likes this.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rustyus
I just had to try a $16 no-name chain tool before I go out and spent $80 on a RC specific pin removal tool and extra push pins. https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-pc-Bike-...53.m2749.l2649

LOL. After receiving the chain breaker tool, and no instructions on how to use it, I started searching for the tool and came up with this article showing a similar tool...AUTOMODELISME - PetitRC.com - Replace CVD Pins
I would just keep using the chain tool if it work effectively no need to change it.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Default Still running the sc10

I ran the old school sc 10 still have the 10mm shocks on mine and 2 second place. From dead last twice. It been awhile since i ran this car. Thinking it tome to upgrade the old novak system seem way under power now. Once I got hacked it was a challenge trying to keep up with these guy. Had to keep the momentum going just to keep pace.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just picked up an SC10.3 a few weeks ago. Rebuilt it and fixed and fixed a few things, such as mismatched shocks, clearanced the steering bar, replaced some arms, resealed and added 7000 wt diff fluid, and added an RPM front bumper/skid plate. The one thing I am hot happy with is the Y-shaped battery hold down and the plastic wingnuts. The wingnuts are a bit of a pain to deal with and get the hold down off. Are there any other options for the battery hold down?

Also, is anyone using shorty packs in these? I have a number of shorty packs, but only one full size pack. Any other suggested upgrades for racing? I'll be racing on an outside, loose, dirt track.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by imrob
my guess is one for a dirt bike chain. I have tried a bicycle one just did not cut it a long time ago. Than I just hit an impulsive buy for the Hudy but have only used it for 1/8 scale.
RC-Renew makes a nice 3mm and 2.5mm tool.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:01 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WhiteLX
Just picked up an SC10.3 a few weeks ago. Rebuilt it and fixed and fixed a few things, such as mismatched shocks, clearanced the steering bar, replaced some arms, resealed and added 7000 wt diff fluid, and added an RPM front bumper/skid plate. The one thing I am hot happy with is the Y-shaped battery hold down and the plastic wingnuts. The wingnuts are a bit of a pain to deal with and get the hold down off. Are there any other options for the battery hold down?

Also, is anyone using shorty packs in these? I have a number of shorty packs, but only one full size pack. Any other suggested upgrades for racing? I'll be racing on an outside, loose, dirt track.

There's a graphite version of the battery bar. I don't know the part number. Because it's graphite you have to be careful depending on the type of battery that your battery wires to don't touch. I have not run a shorty pack, But it might work well if you move it to the rear of the battery tray. I guess that would be a case where you need less weight, less steering and more rear grip. Try it and see what happens.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
There's a graphite version of the battery bar. I don't know the part number. Because it's graphite you have to be careful depending on the type of battery that your battery wires to don't touch. I have not run a shorty pack, But it might work well if you move it to the rear of the battery tray. I guess that would be a case where you need less weight, less steering and more rear grip. Try it and see what happens.
The graphite strap (9851) is actually designed to use with the same 9879 Thumb Knobs as is currently on the OP's 10.3, so won't really alleviate his dissatisfaction much ... a couple options may be to use the 1787 Thumb Screws used on the B4's, where they can just be 'spun' on, making it a bit easier ... or a couple 4/40 Socket Head Cap Screws WITH HOLES, and use a body clip to hold the strap down ... or, you could even cut a couple slots in the sides of the battery tray, and use the 71050 velcro straps like used on the ProSC10, DR10 and T-Rat ...

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...h/?query=91458

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...h/?query=71050

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...ch/?query=6929
Old 11-07-2020, 07:26 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tomkatn
The graphite strap (9851) is actually designed to use with the same 9879 Thumb Knobs as is currently on the OP's 10.3, so won't really alleviate his dissatisfaction much ... a couple options may be to use the 1787 Thumb Screws used on the B4's, where they can just be 'spun' on, making it a bit easier ... or a couple 4/40 Socket Head Cap Screws WITH HOLES, and use a body clip to hold the strap down ... or, you could even cut a couple slots in the sides of the battery tray, and use the 71050 velcro straps like used on the ProSC10, DR10 and T-Rat ...

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...h/?query=91458

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...h/?query=71050

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...ch/?query=6929
Yes, the graphite battery is designed for the thumb screws. I don't mind those because your battery will never come loose. But, the fig disadvantage is for me was losing one of the thumb screws. The third item on your list the 4-40 screws with the holes for a body clip are a good alternative if you can find them. They take a very thin body clip.i
Old 11-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Yes, the graphite battery is designed for the thumb screws. I don't mind those because your battery will never come loose. But, the fig disadvantage is for me was losing one of the thumb screws. The third item on your list the 4-40 screws with the holes for a body clip are a good alternative if you can find them. They take a very thin body clip.i
I just gave away probably a half dozen of the 4/40 round blue aluminum thumb screws about six months ago, everything I use now is 3mm, I don't think I ever lost one in probably 10 years of running B4's and SC10's ...

Should be no problem finding the SHCS with holes, there are a couple on eBay with the part # of the link I sent, but that particular one is only 3/8" long, so I would just take the 4/40 SHCS of the length you need and drill the head out for whatever size pins you intend to use ...
Old 11-07-2020, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The stock wing nuts, or "thumb knobs", are just fine. They do their job. I personally like them the best. No losing thumb screws; no messing with super old school body clips, and Velcro straps would be an option once battery sweet spot has been found. I would just concentrate on driving, set up, and choice of diff fluid (possibly build a ball diff for loose track ).
Old 01-12-2021, 08:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Just wanted to put this out there, AVID RC re-released a top-shaft for the SC10, T4, B4 line of cars. It is a direct replacement for the, impossible to find, Associated #9601 original top-shaft. I bought a couple and they work and fit great.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yep, I bought two direct from Avid. One to use, one as a spare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.