Search
Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Some Tamiya Rookie......

Hey did you find balls...... er um diff balls?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Some Tamiya Rookie......

Hey did you find balls...... er um diff balls?
... Havent gone to get any yet..diff balls that is
Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Ok, I did a LITTLE work last night after the kid and wife went to bed..... Did some parts sorting to make sure of what I had and to figure out what I was replacing with TRF/Hop Up options

I'm putting the "high traction" chassis on the car, its the one on the right in the pic..you can see its a little darker in color, and its 20g heavier than the standard chassis as well as being a little stiffer.

I'm also running the aluminum rear suspension mounts, they add about 4 grams to the weight of the car...these pieces are things of beauty In the pic you will also notice that I am running the Titanium Nitride coated hinge pins (throughout the whole car) for super smooth operation...plus they look cool even though you cant see them when the car is together

One thing I noticed is how thick the motor plate is.....nice. But I added the milled lightweight motor plate which dropped 2 grams of weight.

Oh and I cant say enough about how this car is going together...the pieces all fit perfectly together with absolutely no issues. This is by far the best car I have put together so far and I've built plenty of them.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF2WD thread-201-2.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-201-1.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-201.jpg  
Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Diggin the bling!!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think I'll be down to come to OCRC on Sat, had planned on WCRC but their track was garbage last Sat, so I'm more inclined to run at OC anyway.

I think I like your idea of OCRC for racing on Sat, and then go to WCRC for a practice day on Monday, Steve. I won't be able to get to OCRC until around 4 or so on Sat, so you guys will need to save me a spot. Gonna have a crash coarse on their layout too it looks like, haven't run on the current one yet.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Lookin good Steve. You think the 201 has some bling factor, just wait till you get a 502!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
I think I'll be down to come to OCRC on Sat, had planned on WCRC but their track was garbage last Sat, so I'm more inclined to run at OC anyway.

I think I like your idea of OCRC for racing on Sat, and then go to WCRC for a practice day on Monday, Steve. I won't be able to get to OCRC until around 4 or so on Sat, so you guys will need to save me a spot. Gonna have a crash coarse on their layout too it looks like, haven't run on the current one yet.
Nice, will definitely save you a spot... Thats ok, I'll be getting a crash course on the car
Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
Lookin good Steve. You think the 201 has some bling factor, just wait till you get a 502!
I know.....cant wait. Maybe I'll have one by the time round 1 of JBRL comes in March
Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

got my 201 built
probably gonna try and make it out to wcrc for a "shakedown" and some club racing
Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

So, I can't keep my eyes off this thing, I think it's time. I'll be the first at my track with one of these, I've never even seen on in person. Needless to say, I've got a few questions here...

What's the general feel of the car, ie lots of steering, lots of rear bite etc. Closer to a Losi or Ae?

What's been breaking, I'll assume to stock the usual arms, towers, caster blocks, chassis, but what random stuff is good to keep on hand?

I noticed all the high traction parts, I assume this stuff is like Ae's carbon, being stiffer? Which versions of all the parts (arms, chassis) have people running most? I'll be on indoor tracks, medium bite.

Springs, is it best to just go with Ae springs, or are there enough close rates of the Tamiya springs?

Pistons, are they metric (10mm like Kyo?) or standard like Ae/Losi.

Wheels, are the Ae wheels the same offset as stock? Do you need different front axles to run Ae fronts, I noticed it said the bearing size in the description of the part.

Option parts, I was planning on getting the 0* hubs, motor plate, and arm mounts. Any other common bling parts to run for any specific reason?

I guess that's all for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions once I start ordering stuff.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by hopsing
I know.....cant wait. Maybe I'll have one by the time round 1 of JBRL comes in March
Yeah yeah, I see what's goin on. Waiting for us to get the setup dialed in then just pick it up and look good
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Xtraman -

The car is pretty responsive to change, if you want steering, it's easy to get, if you want rear bite, it's easy to get. I run a pretty easy to drive setup and just use brakes when I need more steering, it works out pretty well.

Stock up on normal plastics, I recommend replacing the front arms with the reinforced arms, stiffer and more predictable, but break easier. I also run the high traction chassis, although it's not a huge difference from stock.

Kit front springs and yellow springs will be very similar to running AE brown and green. Everything on the car is metric, pistons are 10mm.

Ae wheels are the same offset as the Tamiya's. You will need the SAE front axles which are an option part, and 3/16 x 3/8 bearings for the front wheels.

Option parts look great, but the stock parts have been plenty strong for me. People have complained about rear hub carriers breaking, I actually run the plastic hubs for less sprung weight on the car and have yet to break a single one, so not too sure how people are doing it...

Hope that helps!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mini-t12
got my 201 built
probably gonna try and make it out to wcrc for a "shakedown" and some club racing
How about try and make it to OCRC and meet up with all of us for a "shakedown" session on Saturday and some club racing
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

So everyone pretty much runs the high traction plastic? Is the stock diff good, or does it need some different stuff in there to make it run right? Lastly, where has everyone been buying their stuff, I noticed rcmart has good prices, but neither them or Tower seems to have everything listed.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

We are working on getting all of the Tamiya goodies on the site at Track Star right now.

http://trackstarrc.com/trackstar/ind...d=61&Itemid=64

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.