Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmc23
ill be going.....
you going to be at the dash this weekend? i think 8ight-e already bowed out...
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cement head
If so is anyone racing at RC Madness at the end of the month in the SC Nationals? Gonna be a great weekend of racing, we have about 20-25 guys from the local track going.
Keith Whisler, Gary Katzer, and myself will be attending. Keith will run Stock SCT and SCB classes and I will run pro2, pro4, and nitro SCT. Looking forward to it and I really hope the rain stays away. If anyone needs ANY help at all at this race, please dont be shy, come hunt me down and I will be more than happy to help. Its also a pleasure to meet many of you that I would not ever normally get to meet in person.

I know 4 inches of rain here yesterday!!!
Please go away rain!

Originally Posted by goehm
I don't think the truck was built heavier for the sake of being heavier. If Ryan or Casper say otherwise, I will apologize and fly out and wash/wax their cars. There simply isn't a single performance benefit for a vehicle to be heavier right out of the box. If the truck needs weight for handling purposes, then ideally it's better to start with a lighter stock weight and add weight where you need it. If it needs more weight to make other trucks bounce off, you're better off adding weight at a lower CG.

I think with just a little research you'll see the foundation of the SCTE is the 810 which is an 1/8 scale buggy. Naturally those parts are a bit beefier and such, and will weigh more. From a commercial standpoint, it's simply a good idea to retain as much off-the-shelf product in vehicles where applicable to keep costs down. It then gives racers the option of buying upgrade parts where they think it's needed. With that design, it's a win for Losi and really a win for the customer (IE: people who don't want a $30 part will make due with the stock part, those that want to upgrade can, and there is profit in each transaction).

I think saying that keeping the truck beefy as a performance consideration is a bit of a stretch.

That said - I loved my truck out of the box, and I enjoy finding the things to buy and tinker with on my truck. Now if I just left it stock and spent more time just driving it I'd actually be faster.
Gees, I wish I could say it was built heavier now just because my car needs waxed so badly...haha. This vehicle came from the TEN-T actually which became an 810 and then the SCTE. It was built robust from the get go and continued that way to become the SCTE as I wanted a truck that could be crashed plenty and keep on trucking. I hate breaking and I hate carrying parts. That being said, I have lightened it but only where I could without making it any weaker and in many cases where I could make it stronger using our aftermarket parts. Every after market part I have made I will and do run except for the aluminum chassis braces. I like a little more flex so I run the plastic ones and the newer rear torque rod instead as well. But heavy, the truck is perfect for most and so forgiving and easy to drive. Light, it is more agile and I would say, more for the medium to advanced driver. Just my thoughts though.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I think this truck is a great design and able to accommodate many types of owners .. and to reinforce the notion of durability: my truck ONLY breaks when I do something stupid.

And by stupid I mean forgetting to install the lower two screws that hold the rear shock tower to the gearbox. That will snap the top of the gearbox RIGHT off.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I here ya, I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I just thought it was funny to read the accociated guys doing the opposite of people here. Just to throw it out there my truck at stock weight with tekin 4.5 and mmp runs at 160-170 after the main, 8-10 minutes dependent on the race director that night. Running a CRC 6100 55c. Check out the videos at YouTube, just search RC Excitement.
On another note are any of you guys from the east coast? If so is anyone racing at RC Madness at the end of the month in the SC Nationals? Gonna be a great weekend of racing, we have about 20-25 guys from the local track going.
Hey Cement Head, what sort of track is this on and what is your gearing? Thinking about running a mmp as well but with a 6.5 or a 5.5.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez

josh i dont really go to the sc10 thread but from what i have seen my buddy has had 0 issues with his. no leaky diffs, his out drives are just as new, still on his first belt since he bought it new 2 months ago and hes still on the factory towers. with that said i cant said the same about mine. leaky diffs, taco'd towers and 4 axles and 2 center drivelines. we both have the 1410 and mmp. Not saying i want one, but i keep hearing its chitz this and that and honestly from the ones ive seen they have no issues at all.
Yeah, it's been weird here for that truck. Two of my best friends bought that truck to try to beat my Losi into submission. Both very good, very aggressive drivers. The trucks basically just fell apart, and had issue after issue. They don't respond too well to aggressive driving...neither in durability of the belt drive or just plain handling wise.

But...down south a little ways, there has been several happy AE drivers. They are more of the precision 2wd drivers and 2wd wrenchers, and we are more of the grip and rip nitro style. The truck seems to hold up better for them. Well, all except one guy that quit the class because he hated the ae, lol.

So, maybe it's not a complete pile. But, I'd say it has a moderate probability of being a pile for any precise driver, and a very high probability for an aggressive driver There are always the lucky ones that might get a good kit and have it hold up though....maybe.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley
Yeah, it's been weird here for that truck. Two of my best friends bought that truck to try to beat my Losi into submission. Both very good, very aggressive drivers. The trucks basically just fell apart, and had issue after issue. They don't respond too well to aggressive driving...neither in durability of the belt drive or just plain handling wise.

But...down south a little ways, there has been several happy AE drivers. They are more of the precision 2wd drivers and 2wd wrenchers, and we are more of the grip and rip nitro style. The truck seems to hold up better for them. Well, all except one guy that quit the class because he hated the ae, lol.

So, maybe it's not a complete pile. But, I'd say it has a moderate probability of being a pile for any precise driver, and a very high probability for an aggressive driver There are always the lucky ones that might get a good kit and have it hold up though....maybe.
I'm happy with mine if i could find some electronics that stay together longer then 2 weeks
Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Mr.juarez;9534622]i already beat you to it im glad you like that "piece of bling kid"

Relax . I said its NOT just a piece of bling .
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

super light is awsome every where except big fast jumps, I went to light with mine at the home track and had to add some back so I could hit the jumps I used to at stock weight. but every where else on the track it was killer fast!!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

I know this may be off topic, but since this thread has been there before...and because it will increase comradery in the Losi thread..........

Fantasy Football.....I have about 5 positions left in our league. 20$ to enter, 200$ to win. I only want active and fun players......and since I have gotten to know a lot of you in this thread over the last 9 months...I will extend the invite.

Send a PM if you are interested. It will give you guys that live a long ways from me but want to kick my @ss a chance to do so
Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wcrase101
super light is awsome every where except big fast jumps, I went to light with mine at the home track and had to add some back so I could hit the jumps I used to at stock weight. but every where else on the track it was killer fast!!
Weight helps for moving AE's Durangos and OFNA's out of your way as well!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wcrase101
Was it a kiting issue or a suspension issue?

I have had neither being below 6lbs RTR, and think that big high speed jumps is an area where my truck excels the most. I can clear gaps heavier trucks simply cannot, and have better in flight control of the truck as well. Certainly a stockish suspension settup will not work well when you strip a lb of weight off.

I posted a vid of that track I raced on this year with the giant jumps(30 foot gap triple then a 15 foot run to a 35 foot triple). The only other truck to clear those was Ryan Lutz's durango......which is far lighter than my truck even. Stock weight Losi's didn't even come close on those gaps.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default setup

Originally Posted by losi b
Thanks for the link Chuck, but I cannot see the marked information on the sheet from the Losi site. I dont have access to a Pc right now so I am on my IPhone. When you pull up any setup sheet on the Losi site on an IPhone, the sheet shows up but the marks indicating setup do not show up.

Maybe someone has a filled out sheet they could scan and copy here.
Again, thanks for everyones help.
have the truck on my table and thought I would type it all out for anyone having trouble viewing it.

front:
shocks loctaion: outside on tower, outside on arm
pistons/oil: 3's with 30 weight
spring: black
droop: full shock length plus 2 turns out on the eyelet
Caster: stock
ackerman: long
bumpsteer: inside down, outside up
sway bar: largest sway bar
camber link: 2 (bottom)
camber: -1 degree
toe: slight toe out
ride height: 27 mm with body off

rear:
shock location: middle on tower, outside on arm
pistons/oil: 4's with 30 weight
spring: orange
droop: full shock length plus 2 turns out on eyelet
anti-squat: 3 degrees
toe: 2.5 degrees
camber link: 2 (bottom), B (outside)
camber: -1 degree
sway bar: smallest sway bar
hub spacing: back
ride height: 27 mm with body off

losi diff oil: 7-5-3

notes:
battery position: usually the battery is forward in the truck but tracks where traction is up i tend to move the battery back.

rear toe: i run 2.5 indoors and on high bite tracks but in loamy situations I will put 3 degrees back on the truck. I know Ryan and Casper prefer 3 degrees over the 2.5 so it's something to try back and forth to see what you like

servo horn: I run the inside hole on losi aluminum servo horn. the outside hole makes the truck steer more agressive.

rear shock location: depending on the track layout and size i tend to run 2 different rear shock locations. tight indoor tracks/ highbite smaller tracks i run the shocks outside on the arm with 2 turns out. big 8th scale tracks or loamy tracks i either go to the middle hole on the arm (still with 2 turns out). or i try outside on the tower and middle on the arm (full shock length/ no turns out on eyelet)

hopefully i got everything and this helps out!!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Casper
Weight helps for moving AE's Durangos and OFNA's out of your way as well!
lmao, or moving lapped traffic outta the way

Was it a kiting issue or a suspension issue?

I have had neither being below 6lbs RTR, and think that big high speed jumps is an area where my truck excels the most. I can clear gaps heavier trucks simply cannot, and have better in flight control of the truck as well. Certainly a stockish suspension settup will not work well when you strip a lb of weight off.

I posted a vid of that track I raced on this year with the giant jumps(30 foot gap triple then a 15 foot run to a 35 foot triple). The only other truck to clear those was Ryan Lutz's durango......which is far lighter than my truck even. Stock weight Losi's didn't even come close on those gaps.
it was a kiting issue. at stock weight even without the holes cut in the stock body. I could hit the big and fast jumps great. but then I got the truck lighter and even got a body on it with the back cutout and it would kite really bad over our front strech jump which is really fast and about a twentyish foot gap that jumps you more out than up. I put the weight back on it now she jumps just fine and more accuratly. maybe it was because I did the battery and radio tray weight reduction I have no scales. maybe the truck was really off balance not sure could be the only other thing it could of been.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Send a PM if you are interested. It will give you guys that live a long ways from me but want to kick my @ss a chance to do so
LOL Thats funny!!!!Never wanted to kick yer arse but wanted to give you a nuggie once or twice!!Till I realized what an A$$-SET you were here!!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kjohnsiii
Hey Cement Head, what sort of track is this on and what is your gearing? Thinking about running a mmp as well but with a 6.5 or a 5.5.
Very hard packed clay with a blue groove, running a 13/40 right now. Just to put it out there mmp has a weak internal bec, so I had to use an external castle bec for some glitching and cogging problems, but all is well now no problems to report with this set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.