Wiki Posts
Search

Question on O.S. Speed's

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
If that's you're experience, then I'm not going to try and talk you out of it. I'll simply pass along that I'm very familiar with the thermal properties of the various magnesium and aluminum alloys used to make cylinder heads and they do IN FACT, have nearly identical thermal properties. BTW, magnesium alloys can contain as much at 75-percent aluminum. Raw aluminum has better thermal properties than raw magnesium, but raw and 1000 series aluminum (actually better than raw Al) is butter soft and could never be used for a cylinder head. It's the kind of stuff you find inside air conditioning condensers and computer heatsinks, where they don't have to do anything but transfer heat. I have no intention of butting heads, so don't take this the wrong way, but there are thousands of reference books and website where you can look this stuff up, so I'm just passing along what I learned a long time ago.
My experiences are that aluminum cools better. I know for a fact, that's why OS switched to aluminum. Atleast that's what they claimed when the AL head speed was first released. I also know that many guys were running standard v-spec heads on thier speeds before the Al head speed was out for just that reason. That was also GRP's reason for going to the big orange aluminum head over the mag ninja head they had developed for the ninja before they were producing thier engines under the GRP name. I don't know the properties of the metal. I just know what myself and others have experienced, which is that magnesium heads don't cool as well as aluminum heads do. Those are just my findings.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 PM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
The pro mod should preform like any of the speeds.
With all due respect....I don't know that I can agree with that. If they performed like a Speed, then OS would just call it a blue-headed Speed and charge an extra $130 bucks for it.

The crank I seen the gentleman pull out of his Pro did not look my mag-head Speed crank, as far as the lightening and channeling goes, so I would really like to know what happened there. Did he got hosed?, or did the early versions of the Pro have the standard rod and different crank, or what? Very strange.....
I will see him this weekend, hopefully, and I'll talk to him about it. I'll see if he'll crack it open again we can look at it again a little closer. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but we talked about it that day when were comparing them, so.......

Heck, I don't know.....

Brad
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L
My speed broke in right about the 1 gallon mark. I heat cycled about 5 tanks through it using a modified johnnycoolguy.com method and then tuned on the track it was running consistent at about 230-245 and then all of a sudden after a 15 min main right about the gallon mark the temp dropped to 195 and it was running very rich. I re-tuned and it has been very consistent since then. I find that I tune very little on it from track to track. abut 2.5 gallons through it now and it has really come alive. Great little engine.
That sounds good to me! I guess I'm hoping that it doesn't take two gallons...sort of. Part of me sys that if it takes two gallons for it to be completely broke in, then, in theory, the engine should last longer.

We'll see....I've heard about 99% good about these engines, so hopefully the one I am getting won't fall into the other 1%...lol.

I'm super excited, that's the ONE thing I do know for sure!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

My experiences are that aluminum cools better. I know for a fact, that's why OS switched to aluminum. Atleast that's what they claimed when the AL head speed was first released. I also know that many guys were running standard v-spec heads on thier speeds before the Al head speed was out for just that reason. That was also GRP's reason for going to the big orange aluminum head over the mag ninja head they had developed for the ninja before they were producing thier engines under the GRP name. I don't know the properties of the metal. I just know what myself and others have experienced, which is that magnesium heads don't cool as well as aluminum heads do. Those are just my findings.
No matter what the properties are, the MAG didn't run hotter than the AL, so its strictly a cost factor a this point.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WYLDTHING
With all due respect....I don't know that I can agree with that. If they performed like a Speed, then OS would just call it a blue-headed Speed and charge an extra $130 bucks for it.

The crank I seen the gentleman pull out of his Pro did not look my mag-head Speed crank, as far as the lightening and channeling goes, so I would really like to know what happened there. Did he got hosed?, or did the early versions of the Pro have the standard rod and different crank, or what? Very strange.....
I will see him this weekend, hopefully, and I'll talk to him about it. I'll see if he'll crack it open again we can look at it again a little closer. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but we talked about it that day when were comparing them, so.......

Heck, I don't know.....

Brad
Pro mod v-spec does run like a speed. They are priced comparably to the old AL speeds. I also believe it is a Great Planes assembled product, not OS. Anyway, the parts should all be speed parts. That mixed with some standard v-spec parts, but as far as I know there are no new parts specifically for the pro mod.

We are talking about the same engine right?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../osmg2067.html
Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's hard to kill those urban legends, ain't it?!

I know the Gandinis, and the people at OS, Sirio, Novarossi, JP, RB and many other engine manufacturers fairly well, and the few of them where this has come up in discussion, they've said that they went to aluminum heads because mag doesn't cool any better, but it sure costs a heck of lot more. Plus, machining magnesium can be pretty dangerous. Desert rats who have witnessed the spectacle of a mag VW block burning will tell you. Magnesium burns at 4000°K and can't be extinguished. All things considered, the feedback from the manufacturers themselves, my own experience, the laws of physics and the entire metallurgical universe has a different opinion. I'm just saying.... I'm really just giving you a good-natured hard time at this point, so again, please take it for what it is... rubbin' is racin'!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SteveP
It's hard to kill those urban legends, ain't it?!

I know the Gandinis, and the people at OS, Sirio, Novarossi, JP, RB and many other engine manufacturers fairly well, and the few of them where this has come up in discussion, they've said that they went to aluminum heads because mag doesn't cool any better, but it sure costs a heck of lot more. Plus, machining magnesium can be pretty dangerous. Desert rats who have witnessed the spectacle of a mag VW block burning will tell you. Magnesium burns at 4000°K and can't be extinguished. All things considered, the feedback from the manufacturers themselves, my own experience, the laws of physics and the entire metallurgical universe has a different opinion. I'm just saying.... I'm really just giving you a good-natured hard time at this point, so again, please take it for what it is... rubbin' is racin'!

I'll shut up now.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
No matter what the properties are, the MAG didn't run hotter than the AL, so its strictly a cost factor a this point.
agreed, aluminum worlds selling for same price as the mag head just means higher profit margin.

magnesium is harder to work with and most costly than aluminum
Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WYLDTHING
That sounds good to me! I guess I'm hoping that it doesn't take two gallons...sort of. Part of me sys that if it takes two gallons for it to be completely broke in, then, in theory, the engine should last longer.

We'll see....I've heard about 99% good about these engines, so hopefully the one I am getting won't fall into the other 1%...lol.

I'm super excited, that's the ONE thing I do know for sure!
when I got my speed I had doubts of how good it can be.. but once I got it running and tuned, it blew away my highest of expectations. simply awesome motor, uncomparable, indescrible,, just gives the jeebies hearing that reach peak RPM.

I'm running it with 7mm carb and losi RE10 pipe and it has gob of power and spins tire on will on the Z01B,

Raze ST is a FAT porky pig, and with 8mm carb it still pulls it like nothing with JP3 pipe. I hear JP2 is better pipe for these motors so i'll swap it to see. or just get anohter RE10. lol
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 PM

Pro mod v-spec does run like a speed. They are priced comparably to the old AL speeds. I also believe it is a Great Planes assembled product, not OS. Anyway, the parts should all be speed parts. That mixed with some standard v-spec parts, but as far as I know there are no new parts specifically for the pro mod.

Ya that's the engine.....

I have been running my v-specs of all kinds with the JP-3 pipe for the last couple of years. By far and away my favorite pipe with the specs.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devilchrist
agreed, aluminum worlds selling for same price as the mag head just means higher profit margin.

magnesium is harder to work with and most costly than aluminum
i think the only reason they made the alum head speed was because every one was complaining....switching to alum would keep ppl buying
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

also only come with 1 7mm carb restrictor, instead of the 3 with worlds edition