Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Question on O.S. Speed's >

Question on O.S. Speed's

Question on O.S. Speed's

Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM
  #1  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
jamiekerr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 607
Default Question on O.S. Speed's

Hey all, Im looking at maybe getting a O.S. Speed I currently run a V-Spec but I feel now my driving will improve with the Speed's Speed

I was just looking on the net at O.S. Speed's and there are a few.. I know of 3.. Think the Alu head-Worlds edition and one more..
Can anyone tell me what's the best or not.. or anything to compare them against. As im guessing the Worlds edition II is the best.. but what about the Alu head. Cheers..
jamiekerr14 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM
  #2  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
Hey all, Im looking at maybe getting a O.S. Speed I currently run a V-Spec but I feel now my driving will improve with the Speed's Speed

I was just looking on the net at O.S. Speed's and there are a few.. I know of 3.. Think the Alu head-Worlds edition and one more..
Can anyone tell me what's the best or not.. or anything to compare them against. As im guessing the Worlds edition II is the best.. but what about the Alu head. Cheers..
The worlds speed and the aluminum head speed are the same internally. The worlds has the new 21js carb, a lightened head, and a smaller carb insert set. The latest AL speeds, had the 21js carb aswell. Really, they are the same engine. The older mag head speed has some slight internal differences from the other 2. IMO stick with the AL or worlds. I am not a fan of magnesium cooling heads.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM
  #3  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
jamiekerr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 607
Default

Yea, Looks wise not a fan of the mag head. Been offerd one in great nick 2 galls.. for 170.. which Im tempted but want Ideally worlds.. tbh.. Only looking 2nd hand.. as new there 330.. which I dont have thanks for the info!
jamiekerr14 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
Yea, Looks wise not a fan of the mag head. Been offerd one in great nick 2 galls.. for 170.. which Im tempted but want Ideally worlds.. tbh.. Only looking 2nd hand.. as new there 330.. which I dont have thanks for the info!
The AL head is really the same motor as the worlds.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 PM
  #5  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
jamiekerr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 607
Default

So the Aly head is the stock black head and the worlds is the Hara-With the lightend holes ect?? sorry very confussing. Yea I would look for the Aly head then..
jamiekerr14 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 PM
  #6  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
So the Aly head is the stock black head and the worlds is the Hara-With the lightend holes ect?? sorry very confussing. Yea I would look for the Aly head then..
yup
JAMMINKRAZY is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 01:17 PM
  #7  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
jamiekerr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 607
Default

Ok great, yea just researched after that pointless question lol.. so you say the Aly is better than the mag.. and is similar to the worlds.. but obviously the worlds is still little better.. What's not so good about the Mag head? cheers
jamiekerr14 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 02:15 PM
  #8  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hayward CA
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I run 2 mag head speeds. absolutely no issues with them, crazy power after 4 galons still has ton of pinch
devilchrist is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 04:37 PM
  #9  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
Ok great, yea just researched after that pointless question lol.. so you say the Aly is better than the mag.. and is similar to the worlds.. but obviously the worlds is still little better.. What's not so good about the Mag head? cheers
My beef with the any magnesium head is that it doesn't cool anywhere near as well as aluminum does. This can result in overheating if you are not careful. Tha aluminum heads will keep temps lower. The advantage of magnesium is the weight, but now we have drilled aluminum heads that weigh almost as little as the mag heads do.

As for the differences. the worlds and Al head are the same engine. If you can find one of the later AL head speeds, they have the same carb as the worlds. Then the only difference is the drilled head, smaller carb insert kit, and of corse some engraving. IMO the normal AL headed speed is just as good as the worlds.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 05:36 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 460
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

They are the same motors. Being here in Japan I have seen them all run side by side. The only difference is basically the head. The worlds II also has built-up piston and sleeve that is supposed to make it last longer. It is not that much of a difference when you hold them up side by side, but supposedly it is supposed to last longer. I already have a couple of gallons on my worlds II and it still has a ton of pinch. I also sucked some dirt into the thing and it still runs like a champ. Second to none if you ask me, but that is my opinion.
Revooooooo is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
  #11  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hayward CA
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
My beef with the any magnesium head is that it doesn't cool anywhere near as well as aluminum does. This can result in overheating if you are not careful. Tha aluminum heads will keep temps lower. The advantage of magnesium is the weight, but now we have drilled aluminum heads that weigh almost as little as the mag heads do.

As for the differences. the worlds and Al head are the same engine. If you can find one of the later AL head speeds, they have the same carb as the worlds. Then the only difference is the drilled head, smaller carb insert kit, and of corse some engraving. IMO the normal AL headed speed is just as good as the worlds.
I have to lean my engine to point of self destruction before my temp reaches 250 on my mag head speeds.

I do use heat sink compounds on my engines between the motor mounts and button and head heat sink.

I'm running 30% odonnell race.
devilchrist is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 06:48 PM
  #12  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by devilchrist View Post
I have to lean my engine to point of self destruction before my temp reaches 250 on my mag head speeds.

I do use heat sink compounds on my engines between the motor mounts and button and head heat sink.

I'm running 30% odonnell race.
That's great for you if they are running well and cool. I have seen them run that way too. But the simple fact is that magnesium doesn't cool as well as aluminum. My point is that an aluminum head engine will run cooler than a mag head engine. That's why I favor aluminum headed engines.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,415
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I have owned, tuned, and rebuilt all of them. Any one of the Speeds is a good choice. My favorite is the MAG version, but the Al and Worlds are just as good. O.S. drilled the AL head on the Worlds Ed to reduce the weight without using the MAG head to keep the cost down. I never have had any heat issues with the MAG version either. Use the OS 2060 or Ninja 2042 pipe with the OS round or square header and a 7mm carb restrictor.
ezveedub is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
hambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomsburg, Pa.
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I have an al head speed and 2 mag heads. The cooling fins have broke off of both mag heads 5 and 6 fins down from the top on both heads. Neither from impact, just vibration. One head broke 1 fin and the other broke 2 fins next to each other.
hambone is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 PM
  #15  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,415
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I haven't had any MAG heads break. I have bent the top fin on a small edge and the head can compress if landed on on top of, but I have yet to break off any pieces so far.
ezveedub is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.