Wiki Posts
Search

Question on O.S. Speed's

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WYLDTHING
Like I said.... it's all in what ya like and how much you want to spend for an engine.

I have a mag head speed, and I have seen a crank from a Pro, and they aren't the same. But, the rod in his Pro that I seen wasn't a Speed rod either, so I don't know what's going on there. Plus, the piston and sleeve in a Pro are just stock V-spec parts that are hand-picked to match better...they aren't the same as a mag head speed either, as far as porting and such.

Brad
well ok i got ya
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I dont' know. i get some really good run times with the mag speed with 6mm carb.

with 8mm carb it's uncontrollable with even with 16t clutch bell.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by devilchrist
I dont' know. i get some really good run times with the mag speed with 6mm carb.

i know man,,its sick...it threw my freinds 8t around like it was a mild os 28xz...i wouldnt mind having one
Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by devilchrist

I agree completely with both of those statements!!!

I just ordered a new Worlds Speed today (my wife must love me! ), so I'll get to compare the differences first hand next weekend.....dang weather permitting!

I never had one of the second edition Aluminum head Speeds, so this will be a new experience for me, Speed wise. Needless to say....I'm looking forward to it!

Really, I have never had and OS engine that I didn't like, and that didn't treat me well. That's why I keep coming back to them. Good stuff!

Also, I run a stock blue V-spec head on my mag head Speed (sleeper). Nothing was wrong with the mag head, but the aluminum one does seem to cool a little better and increase my runtimes because of it.

Brad
Old 06-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

I agree completely with both of those statements!!!

I just ordered a new Worlds Speed today (my wife must love me! ), so I'll get to compare the differences first hand next weekend.....dang weather permitting!

I never had one of the second edition Aluminum head Speeds, so this will be a new experience for me, Speed wise. Needless to say....I'm looking forward to it!

Really, I have never had and OS engine that I didn't like, and that didn't treat me well. That's why I keep coming back to them. Good stuff!

Also, I just started running a Stock Blue V-spec head on my mag head Speed (sleeper!). Nothing was wrong with the mag head, but the blue one did seem to cool a little better and increase my runtimes because of it.

Brad
i can second that too...i love my vspec and my ninja jx...

the newest speeds the worlds version are more for run times...still has good power but nothing like the mag...even the 1st alum head was a screamer

cant wait to see wat your testin results are..keep us posted
Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by reggie l.
i can second that too...i love my vspec and my ninja jx...

the newest speeds the worlds version are more for run times...still has good power but nothing like the mag...even the 1st alum head was a screamer

cant wait to see wat your testin results are..keep us posted

Will do..... But we know how 'opinions' are...lol.

I'm hearing that it takes about 2 gallons before this latest Speed really comes into it's own though, so it may not be a real accurate comparison after break-in and one weekend of racing. Should be a blast, regardless!

Brad
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

I'm hearing that it takes about 2 gallons before this latest Speed really comes into it's own though, so it may not be a real accurate comparison after break-in and one weekend of racing. Should be a blast, regardless!

Brad
damn 2GAL!!! lol good luck

wat you puting it in?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by reggie l.
damn 2GAL!!! lol good luck

wat you puting it in?
I race an RC8.

Ya, at best I'll get a half a gallon thru it this weekend. Assuming I can get through the break-in process BEFORE I get to the track, so I don't have to mess with it there.

It's hard to imagine it would take THAT much fuel AFTER break-in to perform at it's peak, but that's what people that have them are tellin me.

The one sponsored driver swears he's not fillin me full of hooey, and he's a good friend, soooo.........lol.

I guess we'll find out if they are right......in about two gallons.

Brad
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

damn i hear that with some rb's but not an os...i gess we will see lol
Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM

I hear ya!

Like you, I had always heard that about the RB, GO/Caster, and even some Nova's, but not OS!

I guess we never know what to believe till we try it for ourselves anymore....lol.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Pro mod v-spec uses a speed crank and rod. They are the speed parts. They use the standard v-spec piston and sleeve, new drilled v-spec head, and speed ceramic rear bearing. It features the 21Js carb, with speed aluminum restrictor. It is basically a speed with blue head. There really isn't much difference between the speed and standard v-spec sleeves. The pro mod should preform like any of the speeds.

The reason for the new drilled aluminum heads is to be light and not magnesium. Magnesium DOESN'T cool as well as aluminum. The drilled aluminum heads maintain the cooling and light weight.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Some very interesting food for thought here guys keep it coming!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Magnesium DOESN'T cool as well as aluminum.
If that's you're experience, then I'm not going to try and talk you out of it. I'll simply pass along that I'm very familiar with the thermal properties of the various magnesium and aluminum alloys used to make cylinder heads and they do IN FACT, have nearly identical thermal properties. BTW, magnesium alloys can contain as much at 75-percent aluminum. Raw aluminum has better thermal properties than raw magnesium, but raw and 1000 series aluminum (actually better than raw Al) is butter soft and could never be used for a cylinder head. It's the kind of stuff you find inside air conditioning condensers and computer heatsinks, where they don't have to do anything but transfer heat. I have no intention of butting heads, so don't take this the wrong way, but there are thousands of reference books and website where you can look this stuff up, so I'm just passing along what I learned a long time ago.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Brad
My speed broke in right about the 1 gallon mark. I heat cycled about 5 tanks through it using a modified johnnycoolguy.com method and then tuned on the track it was running consistent at about 230-245 and then all of a sudden after a 15 min main right about the gallon mark the temp dropped to 195 and it was running very rich. I re-tuned and it has been very consistent since then. I find that I tune very little on it from track to track. abut 2.5 gallons through it now and it has really come alive. Great little engine.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

speed ceramic rear bearing seems to be really sturdy too, just keep an eye on the front bearing seals, that's the only weak part that I see with the speed motor.

oh and other i have stock ceramic on one and tko in the other, feel exactly the same.

How are you folks needle settings on the first gen speed?

I don't have the manuals, and I'm going with the stock vspec settings which seems to be good, works good for both the 21J and 21C carb.
1 silver and 1 copper shim. OS p3 turbo plug.

Low: turn in from flush with ball joint body
mid: 1 turn IN from flush with carb body
HI: 2.5 turns out from full IN ( tuned from there depending on conditions, MAX + - 1/4 turn either direction)

I get good smoke from every corner and acceleration, then it's a monster from mid up with light smoke trail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.