Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) >

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Suspension tuning

Hey Paul,

I have been following this thread for sometime now, very interesting stuff here.
I believe I am an OKAY driver but probably the world's worst mechanic needless to say I have a few questions.

1. When you get to a new track (layout) what is first ting you work on, gearing suspension setup etc?
2. dampening and piston choice. When and why would you say go to a lower viscosity oil as opposed to using a piston that has more holes?
3. when would you go to a harder spring as opposed to stiffening the swaybar, don't both take way roll?
4. When tuning rubber tires what do you look for, is tire wear something to look for, do the tires ell a story? The reason I asked is that in spec classes you get 2 sets of tires how do you take care of these?

I know it's a lot but this has been bugging me
Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Barry does look a little like the fonz.
One critical difference. The Fonz actually had GAME.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beavis353
One critical difference. The Fonz actually had GAME.

Heeey, Cmon guys just beacause Barry is ugly doesn,t mean you can make fun of him.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default LiFe A123 batterie

Hi Paul and everybody els.
I was running at my home indoor track (PK modelracing) I met a racer from Belgium and he was running LiFe batteries and they did a fine job.
He was running 1:12 scale with this batteries and charged them with over 10amp this took him 10 minutes and he is running again for 7 minutes of so.
He runs this batteries a few months and he says you can discharge them completely and charge them without damaging the battery and i have watch this closely. He sayd it is a cel invented in the US by a factory A123 and also he is telling me that the Walt powertools used them as power supply.
Has anyone expirience with this batterie, i planned to use them in my X-ray.
The capacity of these cels is 2300mAh by nom.3.3V I planned to use them instead of my 5celNiMh batterie two sets parallel and those in serie wil give
6.6V at 4600mAh.
Sorry for this long story, but i looking forward for somebody with expirience for this remarkable batteries.
Thanks Ed
Old 10-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eded1
Hi Paul and everybody els.
I was running at my home indoor track (PK modelracing) I met a racer from Belgium and he was running LiFe batteries and they did a fine job.
He was running 1:12 scale with this batteries and charged them with over 10amp this took him 10 minutes and he is running again for 7 minutes of so.
He runs this batteries a few months and he says you can discharge them completely and charge them without damaging the battery and i have watch this closely. He sayd it is a cel invented in the US by a factory A123 and also he is telling me that the Walt powertools used them as power supply.
Has anyone expirience with this batterie, i planned to use them in my X-ray.
The capacity of these cels is 2300mAh by nom.3.3V I planned to use them instead of my 5celNiMh batterie two sets parallel and those in serie wil give
6.6V at 4600mAh.
Sorry for this long story, but i looking forward for somebody with expirience for this remarkable batteries.
Thanks Ed
All what you said is correct. A123 make a great substitute for 5 cell, voltage is probably a bit less than a fresh matched pack so you will have to gear up maybe a tooth or so. Top speed will be identical or a bit moore, smooth botom end. Runtime is 20-30% more.
A 2s2p 4600mha can be safely charged at 20A, if you can find a way to get all that current

The bad news is it is bigger than nimh or most lipo packs. 26mm height, and wider than nimh. Im prety sure it wont fit under the xray top deck without some modding.
It will be easier to balance the chassis though (slightly heavier than lipos, but less than 5 cell).
Old 11-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Itchy
All what you said is correct. A123 make a great substitute for 5 cell, voltage is probably a bit less than a fresh matched pack so you will have to gear up maybe a tooth or so. Top speed will be identical or a bit moore, smooth botom end. Runtime is 20-30% more.
A 2s2p 4600mha can be safely charged at 20A, if you can find a way to get all that current

The bad news is it is bigger than nimh or most lipo packs. 26mm height, and wider than nimh. Im prety sure it wont fit under the xray top deck without some modding.
It will be easier to balance the chassis though (slightly heavier than lipos, but less than 5 cell).
Thanks Itchy for your reply.
You are right the dimensions diam=30 length=54 if i am right are big the weight is that of a LiPo, but the good news for now is that Graupner has different dimensions.
I have to study their side.
Chargers for Life batteries are available to 10Amp this mean charge time is only 30 minutes.
The mounting in Xray is besides the topdeck and that is Ok for the car balance.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Worlds

Yo Pauly....Kick some ass next week (or whenever) you are leaving. The cell number I have for you is some dude that has no idea who you are, so I am assuming its the wrong number! Good luck man! Tell Deiter MF says whats up.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Francis
Yo Pauly....Kick some ass next week (or whenever) you are leaving. The cell number I have for you is some dude that has no idea who you are, so I am assuming its the wrong number! Good luck man! Tell Deiter MF says whats up.
He must have mistakenly gave you one of his "special friends" phone number
Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Francis
Tell Mr. Moore that Mike says hi
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Gravity RC

Hi guys, im sorry that i have not been on here much for the last few days. I have just been super busy with prepairing for the worlds and trying to spend time with my family before i leave. ill be back on here in a couple of weeks after the event. thanks for your support and understanding, Paul
Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Good luck Paul. See ya in Cleveland.

EA
Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

hey paul, at t-side my tires (jaco blues) after 1 run have a ton of junk on them. i dont want to rub the heck out of them and lose all grip whatsoever. what do you recomend doing for your rubber tires on the track? what do you do for cleaning yours?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by not home
hey paul, at t-side my tires (jaco blues) after 1 run have a ton of junk on them. i dont want to rub the heck out of them and lose all grip whatsoever. what do you recomend doing for your rubber tires on the track? what do you do for cleaning yours?
spray some motor spray on a thick paper towel and wipe the tire. Works like a charm
Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

thats what i did but maybe i should start doing that again. i used a towel but that is what im worried about is getting the scum off the tire, excess rubber and stuff. my friends said maybe im rubbing too hard, idk.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Best of luck Paul from all of us at RCP, thanks for all the help you have given us and everyone.

Thanks

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.