Search
Like Tree3Likes

TC4 hopup questions (VTA car)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TC4 hopup questions (VTA car)

Ok, so I have a TC4 that's already upgraded a little (just bought it) and I want to hop it up with some nice parts...have a couple questions. Thanks in advance!

1. I want to add aluminum parts where it's an actual upgrade to do so. For example, I wouldn't do aluminum arms because they're heavy and they bend, but I might do aluminum drive shafts because they're durable. Quesstion: what parts are a bad idea to go to aluminum, and which are good upgrades? I was considering aluminum steering setup, c-hubs, and knuckles. Yay or nay?

2. I am currently running a TC7.1 in VTA, and I run a 100 spur/52 pinion. The TC4 I bought has an 80 tooth spur. What pinion do I need to achieve the same gearing as the TC7.1? I'm asking because I can't find the info re: ration in the diff for the TC4, so I don't know how to figure out the FDR for the TC4. I promise I tried Googling, but I got multiple answers.

3. Is there a particular servo that fits extra nicely in this car, or just whatever one I get is fine fit-wise?

Thanks very much for your help!

Last edited by dietDrThunder; 02-02-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
Ok, so I have a TC4 that's already upgraded a little (just bought it) and I want to hop it up with some nice parts...have a couple questions. Thanks in advance!

1. I want to add aluminum parts where it's an actual upgrade to do so. For example, I wouldn't do aluminum arms because they're heavy and they bend, but I might do aluminum drive shafts because they're durable. Quesstion: what parts are a bad idea to go to aluminum, and which are good upgrades? I was considering aluminum steering setup, c-hubs, and knuckles. Yay or nay?

2. I am currently running a TC7.1 in VTA, and I run a 100 spur/52 pinion. The TC4 I bought has an 80 tooth spur. What pinion do I need to achieve the same gearing as the TC7.1? I'm asking because I can't find the info re: ration in the diff for the TC4, so I don't know how to figure out the FDR for the TC4. I promise I tried Googling, but I got multiple answers.

3. Is there a particular servo that fits extra nicely in this car, or just whatever one I get is fine fit-wise?

Thanks very much for your help!

1. I am not a fan of aluminum parts as they are often heavier than stock and don't add much if any more durability. The one area that tends to break on the TC4 is the steering rack system. Maybe an after market item here would be OK. The stock cups on the drive shaft are fine and no need to spend money replacing.

2. I run a TC4 in VTA with a Hobbywing V10 25.5 motor and my FDR is 3.91 which I achieve by using a 75T spur and a 48T pinion all 64 pitch.

3. I tend to go to the Savox SC-1251MG as a standard steering servo in my sedans and as this is a low profile type, there is more space on the chassis to mount electronics. In my race VTA TC4, I am currently using a Power HD 1206TG servo. This is a titanium gear low profile servo and is almost identical to the Savox. Both use a 25 tooth spline which is the same as Futaba which makes things easy.

I replaced the stock plastic shocks with a set of aluminum shocks by Yeah Racing. Check the TC4 thread for my posts with pictures. They work fine but need some tweaking to get right.
DarthBacon101 likes this.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveM
1. I am not a fan of aluminum parts as they are often heavier than stock and don't add much if any more durability. The one area that tends to break on the TC4 is the steering rack system. Maybe an after market item here would be OK. The stock cups on the drive shaft are fine and no need to spend money replacing.

2. I run a TC4 in VTA with a Hobbywing V10 25.5 motor and my FDR is 3.91 which I achieve by using a 75T spur and a 48T pinion all 64 pitch.

3. I tend to go to the Savox SC-1251MG as a standard steering servo in my sedans and as this is a low profile type, there is more space on the chassis to mount electronics. In my race VTA TC4, I am currently using a Power HD 1206TG servo. This is a titanium gear low profile servo and is almost identical to the Savox. Both use a 25 tooth spline which is the same as Futaba which makes things easy.

I replaced the stock plastic shocks with a set of aluminum shocks by Yeah Racing. Check the TC4 thread for my posts with pictures. They work fine but need some tweaking to get right.
Thanks very much for the info, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TC4 internal ratio is 2.5
Old 02-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

When I ran my TC4 the best add on part was a wide super hard bumper and replaced the shocks with TC5 shocks. The steering parts , caster blocks, hub carriers are what most people keep on hand. I also had a top motor clamp replaced once too, sometimes the ears break off easy.
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you are running a front spool on the TC4, I would recommend using aluminum dog bones. This is an upgrade for durability, as the spool puts a lot of stress on the pin holes where the dog bones attach to the stub axles. FYI: The TC4 Club Racer comes with a front spool.

As has been stated, aluminum parts are usually heavier. This can affect performance on the drive line of the car. Lighter parts will help the motor spin up faster. On my TC4's I use plastic diffs front/rear with composite dog bones and a graphite TC3 drive shaft (hard to find). If you want to get a better/lighter drive shaft for a TC3 or TC4, look for Whip Racing drive shafts on ebay. You can also find a Whip Racing thread in the onroad section of RCTECH.

I am not opposed to upgrading the steering knuckles on the TC4 to aluminum. This upgrade isn't as much for durability but because the screw holes in the plastic knuckles can get worn out/stripped if you aren't careful how you maintain the car. When the holes get worn out, it is easy to lose the shoulder screw and/or the ball stud. However, you will want to make sure to stock extra caster blocks as you will break them more often with aluminum steering knuckles.

You don't have to upgrade the TC4 steering rack as long as you have a front foam bumper that is as wide as the front tires. This will protect the rack from a tire hitting a barrier. A wide body in front helps too. There are aftermarket companies that do sell aluminum steering racks such as GPM racing.

You can also upgrade to aluminum or titanium screws to save some weight. Just be mindful that aluminum is softer and the hex/allen tool head can be stripped easier. I usually leave steel screws on the bottom of the chassis and replace the top screws.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 08-09-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:54 PM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'd say the best upgrades for a standard TC4 Clubracer are:

1. Aluminum shocks,and a set of springs.
2. Blue steel or aluminum CVDs
3. FT Motor mount and cam. Makes it easier to get the mesh perfect.
4. Aluminum steering rack and/or a big bumper
5. FT wheel hexes
6. Lightened Steel ball diffs. By the time you sort out the above mods, it will be time to rebuild the diffs.
7. Carbon fiber driveshaft.

We run outdoor rough asphalt , so 48 pitch gears are a must. In VTA most run 40 to 50 degree timing and 55 spur with 33-36 pinion.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to find a carbon chassis now, to use as a template for an aluminum one. Also, I've got new TC7.1 shocks to go on it, so I'm good there. I'll post up in whatever the appropriate forum is when I'm done...the goal is to build the best possible TC4 for VTA. We'll see what happens!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

With the 7.1 shocks you may have to change out the shock towers to the ones that Reflex racing has for the TC4. I had to because those shocks are very short.
dietDrThunder likes this.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to find a carbon chassis now, to use as a template for an aluminum one. Also, I've got new TC7.1 shocks to go on it, so I'm good there. I'll post up in whatever the appropriate forum is when I'm done...the goal is to build the best possible TC4 for VTA. We'll see what happens!
Have you found an aluminum chassis for the TC4? I asked KFR if they could make an aluminum chassis option, but have not heard back as of yet.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gigaplex
TC4 internal ratio is 2.5
would 48pitch pinion and spur be ok?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:20 PM
Tech Champion

If you want crazy performance modifications, then checkout the "BERT MODS" on the tc4 thread or google, etc: the most tc4 mods in the world !!!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cosmicpilot
would 48pitch pinion and spur be ok?
Yes. You'll need a fairly small spur, somewhere in the 52-55 tooth range. Robinson racing has spurs in that range that will fit. If you haven't already, you'll also need to cut the chassis webbing out from underneath the pinion so large pinions will fit.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=bertrandsv87;15270768]
Wow! After looking at this car I realized it's been years since I've seen RPM ball
cups

]
Old 07-31-2018, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have found the best performance upgrade is the diggity design dc4le . If you can find one. I regret selling mine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.