Foam Tire Truing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam Tire Truing

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Does anyone regear as the tires wear? I do run my tires till there's almost nothing left. With my nitro, I really don't have the luxury of being able to change a gear that easily... Electric is a 30 second job as we all know...
Old 09-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Does anyone regear as the tires wear? I do run my tires till there's almost nothing left. With my nitro, I really don't have the luxury of being able to change a gear that easily... Electric is a 30 second job as we all know...
We actually do... Well for long mains, we usually compensate tire wear by going up a tooth on the 2nd gear pinion.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

I run a Nitro 4-tec, it's a b!tch to change gears on the thing...
Old 10-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Trued tire finish

How smooth should the trued surface be? After truing, my foam tire is very rough and not smooth at all. My cutting blade of my truer looks like a section of a jig-saw.

And does the speed of the pass make a difference?

Thanks.

Ron
Old 10-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Trued tire finish

Originally posted by Blue Sky
How smooth should the trued surface be? After truing, my foam tire is very rough and not smooth at all. My cutting blade of my truer looks like a section of a jig-saw.

And does the speed of the pass make a difference?

Thanks.

Ron
I don't have much experiences trueing tires but most of the time we true them smooth like what you get out of the box. Perhaps you're cutting it too deep or too much at one go. Slower passes should make a difference. We have to do slow passes and cut 1 or 2 mm maximum at one time.

Well, if it comes out rough initially, a few runs on the track should smoothen it out.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

Can I change my 12 volt truer to AC power?
Old 10-10-2003, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by theRED5
Can I change my 12 volt truer to AC power?
Better than doing surgery on your tyre truer, get a small switched power supply. I have one capable of doing 13.8 Volts and pulling 10 Amps, handy when you have mains supply and enough strong to feed the truer and still charger your Rx pack at a 1 or 1.5Amps.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Foam Tire Truing

Originally posted by StepPins
Just wanted to know the pros and cons of truing foam tires.
Also, what kinds of effects you experience when truing tires to have different diameters in front as compared to the rear, what did it do to effect steering, and if it's the same if running a front one-way or front diff, overdriven in front or not, etc., etc., etc..

Couple of buddies and I plan to invest in a tire truer....just want to know if this would be a worth while investment
I have a brand new never opened OFNA tire truer...it's fully automatic and runs on AC/CD. No wheel adapters included.

only $180.00 shipped US only
Old 10-11-2003, 05:58 AM

Do any you guys cut camber into the foams when truing them? If so, do you still leave the same amount of camber in the car you usually run? or set it at 0 ? By cutting camber in the foams, and setting the car at 0 camber I think there would be less camber gain with suspension travel. I have never tried this, any toughts or insight? Thanks: BB
Old 10-11-2003, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Cutting Pre camber on your tires does not realy allow you to run a 0 deg camber on your car.

Camber change generally has nothing to do with the degree of camber set. It is a combined function of roll center and arm lengths.

Last edited by sparksy; 10-11-2003 at 06:50 AM.