Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Capricorn Lab E01 .12 Engine Or Murnan M3 >

Capricorn Lab E01 .12 Engine Or Murnan M3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn Lab E01 .12 Engine Or Murnan M3

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Capricorn Lab E01 .12 Engine Or Murnan M3

I need a motor for the Fla. Winter Nats. I was thinks of getting one of these 2 I need a little help. I'v seen both run, aleast run past me anyway.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

I've been running the Lab E01 WC engine for about half a season now and I've been very happy with the power it delivers. The last two years I've had nothing but really fast engines but this was something else.
It makes the most mid and top end power of all the engines I've had and raced against, including Murnan's.
I found it a bit harder to tune then most engines, but this is something which is inherent to a highly tuned engine.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
I've been running the Lab E01 WC engine for about half a season now and I've been very happy with the power it delivers. The last two years I've had nothing but really fast engines but this was something else.
It makes the most mid and top end power of all the engines I've had and raced against, including Murnan's.
I found it a bit harder to tune then most engines, but this is something which is inherent to a highly tuned engine.
What pipe would you recommend with that.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bluer322
What pipe would you recommend with that.
The Capricorn 2662, best pipe currently available for Nova engines.
On every engine I tested it, it gave the engine more mid and top end power.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The insulator of the carb has a lot to do with this...
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Strange. I have found the M3 to have more bottom, and midrange power with similar top speed to the balanced Capricorn .12 engine. The M3 also got slightly better runtime. I also had to clutch the Capricorn engine very hard. Who's M3 did you see running? Was it V1, or V2 M3 engine? M3V2 is wicked. It has been out for about 6 months now. A couple of M3V1 engines had a faulty O-ring in the carb. This caused a loss in power, and tuning. I thought I fixed all the bad ones. Maybe I missed the one you saw. V2 does not have this problem. The M3 is also very easy to tune.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

? does the M3 v2 come prebroke in. And whats the recommended pipe for that motor.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Grinder
Strange. I have found the M3 to have more bottom, and midrange power with similar top speed to the balanced Capricorn .12 engine. The M3 also got slightly better runtime. I also had to clutch the Capricorn engine very hard. Who's M3 did you see running? Was it V1, or V2 M3 engine? M3V2 is wicked. It has been out for about 6 months now. A couple of M3V1 engines had a faulty O-ring in the carb. This caused a loss in power, and tuning. I thought I fixed all the bad ones. Maybe I missed the one you saw. V2 does not have this problem. The M3 is also very easy to tune.
The Lab has less bottom end compared to an M3 or flash, but when you combine this engine with a Capricorn clutch this is solved instantly.
Most of the stock clutches simply aren't good enough for highly tuned engines.
Plus mid end makes or breaks a racing engine if you ask me, and the Lab has loads of mid end power. When it hits second gear it's bye bye everyone, especially with the Capricorn Lab car.

Both M3's I saw didn't make 5 mins, I can make 5:20 without performing any special tricks, but this can be down to driving style.
I think both engines were still V1 versions because both drivers had it from the start of the season.
But I haven't driven an M3 myself (the .12 version, did drive the 3.2L version ), I was actually planning to use them for the 2010 season because of all the enthusiasm on this forum but when I saw the other M3's I wasn't impressed, disappointed actually.
The guy who bought one was disappointed as well.
I pm'd you which M3's I saw since both of these drivers don't visit this forum as far as I know.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

All the M3's I've had, have made great runtime(well over 5min) and lots of power. I don't think you should base the engine's performance off the ones you saw, those guys have to be doing something wrong whether it's the clutch setup or tune etc... Pretty much every M3 I've seen over here has been fast. RBM3 combined with a Nova 2652 w/ short header is a great combo.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluer322
? does the M3 v2 come prebroke in. And whats the recommended pipe for that motor.
Nova 2652 with short header is the recommended pipe combo. I believe Uriah has a broken in version and a non broken in one if I'm not mistaken...
Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, both seem to be very good.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The rb m3 is the fastest .12 on the market period with also making runtime. The rb m3 doesn't lack power anywhere it has tons of low,mid, and topend power and it last forever!!!! My rb m3 was always the fastest .12 on the track. But I am only doing 8 scale for now on it is so much more fun and fastest. Murnan flash .21 I will take (2x) please