Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by gameover
who is shipping Kinetic & Novalink right now? I can't order from Novak cos they only ship Kinetic to US.
We have been shipping regularly to both our domestic and international distributors.

TeamNovak Global Distributors
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Company Representative

I invite interested forum members to read our on-line NovaLink Operating instructions. We designed our instructions for the inclusion of additional tips and information as we receive it from our customers. This will allow new users to benefit from your shared observations. We will also be compiling a FAQ section.

If any of you have suggestions or corrections, please post them here. Our goal is to continue improving our on-line information by incorporating helpful information and clearing up any confusing guidance. We want the NL booklet to be the easiest, most intuitive esc programming guidance available.

They are definitely a work in process!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I do RC drag racing and high speed racing for the most part (oval and 1/12 on road fill in the gaps) and in both those styles excellent throttle response both smooth and controlled is a must and even more so doing high speed runs where you have to smoothly get your car up to speed from over 1000 feet away.

The Kinetic is The Best I have ever used.
The responses is so smooth and controlled from the first time I ran it I felt “connected” to the car something that rarely happens.

Then equally the braking is far and wide better then any speed control I have ever used and I think I have used all the major players (Tekin, Castle, LRP, Black Diamond)

Trying to slow done a 24 ounce car running over 100mph on cap tires can and is nearly always more exciting then getting up to speed, but the braking in the Kinetic can be tuned to even bring something as extreme as that to a smooth controlled stop without locking up the rear-end and without taking 1000 feet to stop.

The Kinetic seems to have all the new bells and whistles we in the RC community are growing accustomed to and like all of Novak’s products they just do it way better then all the rest and with upgradeable software the Novak Kinetic is positioned to be on top of the speed control war.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tim Smith
I do RC drag racing and high speed racing for the most part (oval and 1/12 on road fill in the gaps) and in both those styles excellent throttle response both smooth and controlled is a must and even more so doing high speed runs where you have to smoothly get your car up to speed from over 1000 feet away.

The Kinetic is The Best I have ever used.
The responses is so smooth and controlled from the first time I ran it I felt “connected” to the car something that rarely happens.

Then equally the braking is far and wide better then any speed control I have ever used and I think I have used all the major players (Tekin, Castle, LRP, Black Diamond)

Trying to slow done a 24 ounce car running over 100mph on cap tires can and is nearly always more exciting then getting up to speed, but the braking in the Kinetic can be tuned to even bring something as extreme as that to a smooth controlled stop without locking up the rear-end and without taking 1000 feet to stop.

The Kinetic seems to have all the new bells and whistles we in the RC community are growing accustomed to and like all of Novak’s products they just do it way better then all the rest and with upgradeable software the Novak Kinetic is positioned to be on top of the speed control war.
Thanks for the good comments. Having run Speed cars myself I know exactly what you are talking about. We have put a tremendous time and effort into this design and when you put the product on the market you always hold your breath hopping that it will be a success in the market and comments from people like you are much appreciated.
Bob Novak
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scoyle
ed517, thanks for the settings advice - put the settings on may car and on the bench it now sounds a lot better than out of the box. Unfortunately I am not racing again until next weekend so will see how I get on.

On the different speedos... I have (this year) run the GM120 and the Speed Passion 2.1 before moving to the Novak. My thoughts are that the GM120 was very, very fast but some issues with stalling and stuttering on the line seem to be putting people off here in the UK. I did not have those problems but just found that you needed a rocket science degree to get the best out of it! The Speed Passion gave me my fastest time ever round our track although that was more down to car setup than the speedo but it was certainly fast enough and punchy enough in 10.5. The main thing going for the SP is the ease of programming with the handheld programmer although I wish they would give you the USB programmer in the box so that you don't have to but a separate box to download the software updates.

My reason for moving to the Kinetic is because Novak have, in the past, always been very good and they will get it right. Yes they are a bit late to the party but sometimes for quality you have to wait :-) There is also some good team support for the Novak, here in the UK and hopefully that will mean setup recommendations etc. coming out. The Novalink software looks pretty simple and the one-touch settings are easy to use as well... most of all the Kinetic just feels quality.

I think that they are all good speedos... but hopefully the Kinetic will win out!
Like I said to Tim Smith it is always nice to get comments from drivers after they try our products. Yes we were late to the ESC "timing" game and that was on purpose. We knew when we first introduced the sensored brushless systems to Electric cars that electronic timing would create a war of sorts amongst the Brushless ESC and Motor manufacturers. At that time brushed systems were king and just to get brushless accepted without electronic timing was hard enough. Now the timing war is in full force and we finally relented and got into the "Game" so to speak and we plan to stay there. As you can see Roar has taken the initiative to create a non timing Speed control class for beginners. I think this is a great idea and we decided to incorporate a non timing mode into the Kinetic and Havoc Pro SC right from the beginning. This feature was incorporated before Roar decided to create this class.
Bob
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob Novak
Like I said to Tim Smith it is always nice to get comments from drivers after they try our products. Yes we were late to the ESC "timing" game and that was on purpose. We knew when we first introduced the sensored brushless systems to Electric cars that electronic timing would create a war of sorts amongst the Brushless ESC and Motor manufacturers. At that time brushed systems were king and just to get brushless accepted without electronic timing was hard enough. Now the timing war is in full force and we finally relented and got into the "Game" so to speak and we plan to stay there. As you can see Roar has taken the initiative to create a non timing Speed control class for beginners. I think this is a great idea and we decided to incorporate a non timing mode into the Kinetic and Havoc Pro SC right from the beginning. This feature was incorporated before Roar decided to create this class.
Bob
Really
i was in the past still remember, when Brushless Motor system wasn't on RCCAR, when that time Brushless already started on Aeromodell,
and that time i am looking for it's Brushless Motor system, then i found
the First Brushless System Called Novak,
Superb Still Running/working that SS Till Today, with no sintered Rotor yet,
and no adjustable fixed timing on it seem diffrent with the Endbell Brushed.
Lethal on the street, and it just got better Super efficient , and it's perfomance is very comparable to GT7,
Really good memory, and still Novak is satisfying my Quest and Journey,
for my Experience, and put my Associated Electronics as street weapon!

while now the Timing for Brushless is just freshly incredible, as i
jump from Novak SS no Timing, to Controller that has Dynamic Advance Timing, Boost, Supercharge or what ever we call it. because i skip the advance timing.
it's become the Best Street Weapon, and i know staying on Dynamic Timing Advance, is Really good.

Still Remember when SS come up with SS+ (as Plus) work's also for Brushed Mode, but dont know why now Kinetic doesn't support Brushed Mode,
it's pretty much applicable for my opinion, to have Both Modes.

not to forget, that 3 Mode is available now with one controller
Brushless Sensored Mode, Sensoreless Mode, and Brushed Mode.

It was very satisfying for me that running Brushless in almost 10Years.
and Novak has been started hard in my past with it.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by irgo
Really
i was in the past still remember, when Brushless Motor system wasn't on RCCAR, when that time Brushless already started on Aeromodell,
and that time i am looking for it's Brushless Motor system, then i found
the First Brushless System Called Novak,
Superb Still Running/working that SS Till Today, with no sintered Rotor yet,
and no adjustable fixed timing on it seem diffrent with the Endbell Brushed.
Lethal on the street, and it just got better Super efficient , and it's perfomance is very comparable to GT7,
Really good memory, and still Novak is satisfying my Quest and Journey,
for my Experience, and put my Associated Electronics as street weapon!

while now the Timing for Brushless is just freshly incredible, as i
jump from Novak SS no Timing, to Controller that has Dynamic Advance Timing, Boost, Supercharge or what ever we call it. because i skip the advance timing.
it's become the Best Street Weapon, and i know staying on Dynamic Timing Advance, is Really good.

Still Remember when SS come up with SS+ (as Plus) work's also for Brushed Mode, but dont know why now Kinetic doesn't support Brushed Mode,
it's pretty much applicable for my opinion, to have Both Modes.

not to forget, that 3 Mode is available now with one controller
Brushless Sensored Mode, Sensoreless Mode, and Brushed Mode.

It was very satisfying for me that running Brushless in almost 10Years.
and Novak has been started hard in my past with it.
All your base are belong to us!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by reenmachine
you are right for the 3 modes.
Brushless Sensored, Sensoreless, Brushed Mode. Dynamic Timing(Turbo)
and that's not enough,
you need this.
Attached Thumbnails Novak Kinetic-novalink_screenb_8.9.jpg   Novak Kinetic-novalink_screenc_8.9.jpg   Novak Kinetic-ludo2-5.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
I invite interested forum members to read our on-line NovaLink Operating instructions. We designed our instructions for the inclusion of additional tips and information as we receive it from our customers. This will allow new users to benefit from your shared observations. We will also be compiling a FAQ section.

If any of you have suggestions or corrections, please post them here. Our goal is to continue improving our on-line information by incorporating helpful information and clearing up any confusing guidance. We want the NL booklet to be the easiest, most intuitive esc programming guidance available.

They are definitely a work in process!
I appreciate all the work. I have just installed the controller in my car. It was a little bigger than I expected. Even though I was running a MMP, I had a hard time placing the power cap.

Couple of initial questions. First I have no place to test it tonight. But just bench testing I notice that the heat sink get warm to the touch just running it on the bench (no fan) 17.5 motor. I just adjusted the timing via the lights to 30 degrees, and a starting RPM 5500. This is where I would run on the other ESC's. Anyway, is there really any need for the fan. And should the controller be getting warm just revving it on the bench?
Also what RPM range and FDR where people running with a 17.5?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Tekin is great, but I have been running the MMP and it is just as good. With version 208 I think tekin is starting to feel better. But for the price the MMP is the best bang for your buck. Kinetic looks like it could steal the spot from Tekin if it is easier to drive. I love all the power, but the corners are where you win races.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by macdude
I appreciate all the work. I have just installed the controller in my car. It was a little bigger than I expected. Even though I was running a MMP, I had a hard time placing the power cap.

Couple of initial questions. First I have no place to test it tonight. But just bench testing I notice that the heat sink get warm to the touch just running it on the bench (no fan) 17.5 motor. I just adjusted the timing via the lights to 30 degrees, and a starting RPM 5500. This is where I would run on the other ESC's. Anyway, is there really any need for the fan. And should the controller be getting warm just revving it on the bench?
Also what RPM range and FDR where people running with a 17.5?

Thanks
The reason that you feel the heat so quick on the Novak ESC's compared to other controllers is that we are the only ones that mount all the power mosfets directly to the heat sink. Thus heat gets transferred very quickly to the cooling fins and then to the air. The fan is not necessarily needed with 17.5 motors. I would start were you said above and a 6.0 FDR and adjust from there to keep the motor temp under 160 deg.

Bob
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Can't wait for tomorrow, I'm getting my first order in as a member of the team with my two Kinetics, NovaLink, and some Ballistics. UPS just bumped the delivery from Friday to tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have some good results to post tomorrow, I'll try and get a general idea for some dirt setups.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by irgo
you are right for the 3 modes.
Brushless Sensored, Sensoreless, Brushed Mode. Dynamic Timing(Turbo)
and that's not enough,
you need this.
Originally Posted by macdude
The Tekin is great, but I have been running the MMP and it is just as good. With version 208 I think tekin is starting to feel better. But for the price the MMP is the best bang for your buck. Kinetic looks like it could steal the spot from Tekin if it is easier to drive. I love all the power, but the corners are where you win races.
You're way overinterpreting my lame comment! I wasn't making any sort of trolling "Tekin is better" remark. It's just that the wording of irgo's post made me think "all your base are belong to us". Just me being insensitive toward our international members is all.

I welcome more choices on the market -- it keeps things interesting, and competition spurs innovation. I have the highest respect for Novak products and have never had a Novak product fail. I bought my first Novak ESC for my RC12i back in...geez...1986? Sometime around then. It's all a blur now.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob Novak
The reason that you feel the heat so quick on the Novak ESC's compared to other controllers is that we are the only ones that mount all the power mosfets directly to the heat sink. Thus heat gets transferred very quickly to the cooling fins and then to the air. The fan is not necessarily needed with 17.5 motors. I would start were you said above and a 6.0 FDR and adjust from there to keep the motor temp under 160 deg.

Bob

What is the Novak Kinetic 2S Average AMP and Max AMP ?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

It is also great to see a speedo manufacturer that has a presence on here answering questions from their customers. Tekin do this as well and I think that it is great for the sport as you actually feel that someone is listening to our voices!

I am working with one of the Associated/Novak team drivers here in the UK (shout out to Alan Bickerstaff) who has been working with prototype Kinetics and now the real thing and he will tell you that Novak do listen - I am confident that we will have the Kinetic beating of the current range of Speed Passions and GMs at our club at the minute and I can see people switching when they see the ease of use and the power of this speedo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.