Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scoyle
Has anyone started to post settings setups for different motors - I am looking for a good starting point for 10.5 that is close to my outgoing GM120?

Stephen
on the advanced screen it has starting points for start and end rpm for your motor and cell count. maybe if you posted your track size and details. Charlie or one of the other guys could give you a hand. most of us team drivers have only run 17.5 or 5.5 so far. tryn to get ready for the national.

Last edited by ed517; 08-10-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

I can go one better - here's a video of us racing;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVmr...layer_embedded

I haven't got my Novalink cable yet - I have got as far as putting the Kinetic in the car and setting it up to my transmitter but the base settings don't seem to have the 'rip' that the GM. I was expecting this as I have not changed any settings but don't want to put anything too mad on it to blow my motor. I am going to run a Ballistic 10.5 with it.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

just as a starting point you could try this:

fdr 7.5
mtr 30 or N
tm lvl 6
tm st pnt 4
dont forget to temp often and slowly adjust from here. also the current limiter function is great for helping keep temps in check so play with that as well. hopefully NOVAK TWO or one of the other guys could chim in and help out too. let me know how this works out
Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ok guys I need help which one to get I'm looking for new ESC between tekin and novak... Tekin has proven it self to be the fastest ESC on the market right now but I'm always been a Novak guy...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Ok guys I need help which one to get I'm looking for new ESC between tekin and novak... Tekin has proven it self to be the fastest ESC on the market right now but I'm always been a Novak guy...
Well I have been using the Tekin for over a year. And it has been getting better and better. I will have one of these tomorrow and put it through its paces.

Right now the only thing that I don't like about the tekin is the hotwire interface. I guess it will be changed soon. But for right now it is not the best.

The other controller that you might want to look at depending on your application is the Mamba Max Pro. Right now it is the best bang for your buck. I have been using this in offroad all season. I have even run it in my TC. But for only 124$ with a castle link so you can program it. I recommend it over just about everything else. But price wise the Tekin RS is not bad at 169. But you still need to buy the link 24$. The RS Pro is not really needed. The only difference between the RS and the RS pro is the pro has double the fets, so you can use a lower turn motor. But it cost a lot more with no performance gain otherwise.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I got the MMP since it first came out but now I can't keep up with the tekin down the straight. I'm having issues with my MMP stalling and locking on wide open throttle almost destroyed my car last weekend when it went wide open throttle and slamming on the wall head on...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Novaks products have always been second-to-none, as well as there tech and customer support. The Novalink Software is easy to use and even a descriptive info for each setting. At the Onroad Nats last week we were in no way out powered(it was my driving that sucked).
Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ed517
Novaks products have always been second-to-none, as well as there tech and customer support. The Novalink Software is easy to use and even a descriptive info for each setting. At the Onroad Nats last week we were in no way out powered(it was my driving that sucked).
You had a case of that too huh??? I thought it was just me....
Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

who is shipping Kinetic & Novalink right now? I can't order from Novak cos they only ship Kinetic to US.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
I got the MMP since it first came out but now I can't keep up with the tekin down the straight. I'm having issues with my MMP stalling and locking on wide open throttle almost destroyed my car last weekend when it went wide open throttle and slamming on the wall head on...
From what I understand is that the boost feature is coming. For now I would just gear up. I would also re install the firmware. I have had a couple of buddies of mine have problems with the software and firmware 1.2.8. I don't know what was going on, but when I hooked it up to my laptop to take a look at their setting everything was all weird. I have XP and they had Win7. Anyway, I reflashed the firmware from my laptop and that seemed to take care of the shutting down problem. The only issue I have seen with 1.2.8 is there is a low speed glitch/surge. I got it on video. That is the only problem I have had. The other version 1.2.6 still works great for everything. But I like the torque control for off road.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ed517
Great to hear that you did not get out muscled. I just want to know how drivable the power is. Up until this last update, the Tekin was always well... not great. It lacked the smoothness of the other controllers. No matter how you set it up. I was faster with the MMP than the Tekin because of this most of the time. Now with the new version 208 firmware the Tekin is starting to feel good. What I am hoping is that the kinetic will take it to a whole new level of smooth on power control. With a very positive mid throttle feel, so you can corner consistently. It's great to be ballistic fast, but if the low end sucks it makes any car hard to drive consistently.

What controller where you coming from. And how does it compare to the others.

thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After seeing the Kinetic in action at the Nat, Novak could be back on top again in the speedcontrol war.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by macdude
Great to hear that you did not get out muscled. I just want to know how drivable the power is. Up until this last update, the Tekin was always well... not great. It lacked the smoothness of the other controllers. No matter how you set it up. I was faster with the MMP than the Tekin because of this most of the time. Now with the new version 208 firmware the Tekin is starting to feel good. What I am hoping is that the kinetic will take it to a whole new level of smooth on power control. With a very positive mid throttle feel, so you can corner consistently. It's great to be ballistic fast, but if the low end sucks it makes any car hard to drive consistently.

What controller where you coming from. And how does it compare to the others.

thanks
I was using the Tekin RS with 203. The Kinetic is very smooth with its power. it almost threw me of my pace, but after i got my set up dialed i was actually faster with it. and by the way very stong and controlled braking!! NorCal is a track that demands power and braking because its so open you are at top speed 70% of the time so it was a true test of the Kinetic. We have come up with a few set ups that give you that low end when trackion is high as well as smooth and consistant. Charlie should be posting them up shortly. Hes prob taking a break, we ran him ragged last week
Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Big shout out to Charlie and Novak. The Kinetic is right there. I ran it at the nats this week, and once we got the setup down, I did not get out motored . I struggled with the car and drove like a rookie, but the speedo and motor were awesome.

The Kinetic brakes are the best brakes of all the current speedo's I have run. Looks like the wait was worth it.
Many thanks go out to Charlie for all his help at Nats from me also.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Tech Regular

ed517, thanks for the settings advice - put the settings on may car and on the bench it now sounds a lot better than out of the box. Unfortunately I am not racing again until next weekend so will see how I get on.

On the different speedos... I have (this year) run the GM120 and the Speed Passion 2.1 before moving to the Novak. My thoughts are that the GM120 was very, very fast but some issues with stalling and stuttering on the line seem to be putting people off here in the UK. I did not have those problems but just found that you needed a rocket science degree to get the best out of it! The Speed Passion gave me my fastest time ever round our track although that was more down to car setup than the speedo but it was certainly fast enough and punchy enough in 10.5. The main thing going for the SP is the ease of programming with the handheld programmer although I wish they would give you the USB programmer in the box so that you don't have to but a separate box to download the software updates.

My reason for moving to the Kinetic is because Novak have, in the past, always been very good and they will get it right. Yes they are a bit late to the party but sometimes for quality you have to wait :-) There is also some good team support for the Novak, here in the UK and hopefully that will mean setup recommendations etc. coming out. The Novalink software looks pretty simple and the one-touch settings are easy to use as well... most of all the Kinetic just feels quality.

I think that they are all good speedos... but hopefully the Kinetic will win out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.