Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not trying to beat a dead horse,

...But, I got really excited about this until I read the description:

No1. and No.2 phillip head screwdrivers are made from Nickel chrome molybdenum steel
1.5, 2, 2.5 Hex wrenches are made from Nickel chrome molybdenum steel
Size 5 minus (-) screwdriver
Size 5.5 & 7 box driver
Comes with a convenient driver stand

-specifically the info about the screwdrivers being "Philip's". Unless the description is incorrect?

...Tamiya in my opinion ought to include a proper JIS screwdriver w/ each kit that requires it.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
...Tamiya in my opinion ought to include a proper JIS screwdriver w/ each kit that requires it.
Tamiya ought to start including hex head hardware like every other RC manufacture.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Tamiya ought to start including hex head hardware like every other RC manufacture.
They seem to have started.. The TB04 Pro II comes with hex, so hopefully it spreads to other kits. They should also do what HPI does, include machine hex and self threading / tapping hex for plastic
Old 05-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by inpuressa
yeah, something like this will help with those kit screws.

I picked up one a long time ago on sale for little over $10. Perfect fit on the heads. The hex is meh though.
Good starter kit, just don't expect the small hex to be perfect. I have used and abuse this set of tools. Excellent value. Just the 1.5mm hex twists a bit. Plus I use the grey stand when doing my shocks!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

Do any of you trim the axles on your mini. I keep breaking the front right steering knuckle. While it's clear that the plastic is brittle, I am pretty sure the thread that is sticking out past the wheel nut is not helping either.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

In response to your trimming of the wheel axles I do not as I sometimes use spacers to make the front end wider, which would not be possible if you cut them. I use the standard Tamiya universals up front and the hardened rear axles. I also use spacers on the rear for the same reason, although sometimes I actually fit 4mm hexs for more rear end grip.

I also use Tamiya alloy front knuckles. The only part I have broken up front is the c hub which I have done on both sides when I have hit something at the wrong angle or had a hit at full noise.

Hope that helps,

Calvin
Old 05-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Do any of you trim the axles on your mini. I keep breaking the front right steering knuckle. While it's clear that the plastic is brittle, I am pretty sure the thread that is sticking out past the wheel nut is not helping either.
Ram, when our lead driver first started running the m05 he was breaking the front knuckles a lot until we upgraded to the aluminum knuckles and this solved the problem, I was thinking that trimming them would solve the problem, but it just seems that at that point on the chassis that the stress is extreme when contact is made in the front wheel area
Mike
Old 05-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Ram, when our lead driver first started running the m05 he was breaking the front knuckles a lot until we upgraded to the aluminum knuckles and this solved the problem, I was thinking that trimming them would solve the problem, but it just seems that at that point on the chassis that the stress is extreme when contact is made in the front wheel area
Mike
@ Caltek1: I run the M06 with the Alfa GTA body and if I space out the front axle, it will rub on the body. Rears I have not had any issues with breakage, probably because I'm running the 1º aluminium hubs.

@ KA2AEV. I generally don't like to run aluminium in the form of suspension arms, knuckles, C hubs or up rights, because it bends in crashes and its hard to tell that its bent. That is unless I have to, like on the rear, there are no 1º, 2º, 2.5º rear hubs in plastic.

The C hubs and knuckles seem to be made out of pure abs brittle plastic, where as other suspension parts seem to have flex put into the compound mix. I had hoped that with the Ver II they would update these parts, but it appears just the arms have been updated. So I may have to break down and pick up the front knuckles in aluminium. I will however try trimming the front axles first since they're fairly inexpensive.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ram, the way he beats on the cars inthe quals and the mains I would have thought the same about the
Aluminum knuckles, but honestly ever since I installed them in the M05 that Golddust drives, we haven't any issues with parts bending or breaking up front. Keep us informed of your progress
Mike
Old 05-27-2014, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

RIP rc-mini.net.

We kept the Mini flag flying for 8 years, and that's not a bad run.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Raman
@ Caltek1: I run the M06 with the Alfa GTA body and if I space out the front axle, it will rub on the body. Rears I have not had any issues with breakage, probably because I'm running the 1º aluminium hubs.

@ KA2AEV. I generally don't like to run aluminium in the form of suspension arms, knuckles, C hubs or up rights, because it bends in crashes and its hard to tell that its bent. That is unless I have to, like on the rear, there are no 1º, 2º, 2.5º rear hubs in plastic.

The C hubs and knuckles seem to be made out of pure abs brittle plastic, where as other suspension parts seem to have flex put into the compound mix. I had hoped that with the Ver II they would update these parts, but it appears just the arms have been updated. So I may have to break down and pick up the front knuckles in aluminium. I will however try trimming the front axles first since they're fairly inexpensive.
Don't hesitate over the aluminium knuckles. They are plenty strong enough, and there is enough flex in the rest of the car to stop them bending.

I ran my car with plastic knuckles for a few years and didn't have a single issue. Then I started racing at a new track with different markers and I could barely finish a race without a knuckle splitting at the kingpin (oddly enough I would only lose a couple of tenths per lap!). Since changing to tamiya alloy I haven't damaged a thing.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Don't hesitate over the aluminium knuckles. They are plenty strong enough, and there is enough flex in the rest of the car to stop them bending.

I ran my car with plastic knuckles for a few years and didn't have a single issue. Then I started racing at a new track with different markers and I could barely finish a race without a knuckle splitting at the kingpin (oddly enough I would only lose a couple of tenths per lap!). Since changing to tamiya alloy I haven't damaged a thing.
+1 get aluminium knuckles stick with the composite C Hubs. Its a better combo compared to full alum or alum hubs/comp knuckles
Old 05-27-2014, 05:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tony gray
RIP rc-mini.net.

We kept the Mini flag flying for 8 years, and that's not a bad run.

Wow the site was up for 8 years.
Good job with it for all this time.

RIP rc-mini.net
Old 05-27-2014, 06:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tony G, you're making me sad. I started driving RC 6 years ago, with minis from the very beginning. That site taught me everything, even if I ignored a large portion and wasted hundreds of dollars on useless bling. You were almost never wrong. I say almost because the M04 was a lovely car - only a teensy bit evil.

You've done a great service for all of us and kept the laughter, too. We just have to figure out where to point the next smart ass that comes along asking questions.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
You've done a great service for all of us and kept the laughter, too. We just have to figure out where to point the next smart ass that comes along asking questions.

Thanks!
The touring car class? lol I agree, thanks Tony and all at Rc-Mini, you guys ensured mini stayed a competitive yet still FUN class for alot of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.