Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires so many choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bsmed
I am getting a B5M factory lite kit soon and was looking for suggestions on what tires to run. I have been doing my research and understand that tires are very much based off of your running surface. I have never driven a buggy, also pretty new to the rc hobby. I am looking for a tire that will have good durability to get used to driving the car. I plan on racing it eventually and i know then I will be buying more track specific tires. For now tho something that will have a good run length on them is what I am looking for. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can only look up so much, always nice to have peoples first hand experiences. Thank you
Go to the track you are going to go to and find out what the tire of choice is.
Find out what they are doing to the tires also. Like break in and foams. Tire choice is really important. With you being new the best thing you can do is ask questions and practice.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I am getting a B5M factory lite kit soon and was looking for suggestions on what tires to run. I have been doing my research and understand that tires are very much based off of your running surface. I have never driven a buggy, also pretty new to the rc hobby. I am looking for a tire that will have good durability to get used to driving the car. I plan on racing it eventually and i know then I will be buying more track specific tires. For now tho something that will have a good run length on them is what I am looking for. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can only look up so much, always nice to have peoples first hand experiences. Thank you
I think people are missing the point of your question.
You are looking for a good long lasting practice tire, not a race tire.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:21 AM
Tech Rookie

thecman was correct. I was originally asking for a good practice tire to get used to the buggy. I looked more into what the track I would be able to run at requires. It is a 17.5 track on high bite carpet. Suburbs or slicks is what they say are tires you have to run. Any front tire is allowed. Seeing that helps me with my rear tire choice. Front tires is my issue now. I see people say ribs are run upfront. What exactly are those? Sorry for all the questions just new and wanting to learn.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

thecman was correct. I was originally asking for a good practice tire to get used to the buggy. I looked more into what the track I would be able to run at requires. It is a 17.5 track on high bite carpet. Suburbs or slicks is what they say are tires you have to run. Any front tire is allowed. Seeing that helps me with my rear tire choice. Front tires is my issue now. I see people say ribs are run upfront. What exactly are those? Sorry for all the questions just new and wanting to learn.
Good thing you didn't run out and buy a set of Rebars then

Front tires..I can only ASSUME you would run a similar tire as the rear, either a slick or Suburb. Best option would be to call the track and ask them, they'll certainly tell you. Or, see if your track has a thread in the Indian/Mich regional forum and ask there. If they don't have a thread. Create one asking about tires for your specific track.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

The Carpet Offroad Thread was a great reference to me when I first went to carpet. Most run a Schumacher cut stagger front tire that involves cutting your front wheel down skinnier because it is a narrow tire.

Most carpet tracks are best with mini pins but some require slick or near slick tires to preserve the carpet - it sounds like your track does this. These tracks usually add tire sauce to their cars. Try without but if you lack grip see if other people are using sauce. At my first carpet race all the fast guys came over and offered sauce and instructions on how to apply it. Super dudes. You also run the front tire without a foam. It's weird.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Other than a shameless plug for AKA, how does your tire choice/suggestion for an outdoor track in Australia help a guy who's 99.9% most likely going to be running indoors? Considering he lives in Indiana and it's November..?..

You may as well have said "My Arrowmax, LMR equipped Yokomo's run great on AKA tires. Thanks Ryper Hobbies."

You guys crack me up
Absolutely pathetic response to Tony2's suggestions.

You should be ashamed as a moderator.

Bsmed did not mention he was running on carpet nor any particular surface.. and he said

"Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can only look up so much, always nice to have peoples first hand experiences. Thank you"

Whats your problem and your agenda.

Josh Pain
Old 11-23-2015, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Devin.....What is the basis for running a front tire without a foam on carpet.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for carpet when we did 1/10 2wd buggy "road course" style, I went cheap and used a full set of panther slicks. Saucing them with SXT or whatever its called, the 3.0 version and they worked excellent. I was pretty surprised.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I think people are missing the point of your question.
You are looking for a good long lasting practice tire, not a race tire.
I was wondering how many responses he would get before anyone actually answered his question and not what they thought his question was. Lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Painy
Absolutely pathetic response to Tony2's suggestions.

You should be ashamed as a moderator.

Bsmed did not mention he was running on carpet nor any particular surface.. and he said

"Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can only look up so much, always nice to have peoples first hand experiences. Thank you"

Whats your problem and your agenda.

Josh Pain
Ashamed? Not even a little! In bold. The fact that the OP has posted letting us all know he's running on carpet validates my whole point even more. It doesn't matter if someone is bashing, practicing, racing, or whatever. You CAN NOT give a valid, relevant tire recommendation without knowing what surface they're running on, period. Your buddies post was USELESS to the OP and had ZERO value.

If a guy in Texas asks what tires he should put on his full size truck (with ONLY him knowing that it will never leave the pavement). Should I suggest he buy a set of deep lug all terrain tires simply because where I live they work/are needed this time of year?? Ya, didn't think so
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony2
For an outdoor dirt track the AKA Impact and Rebar is all I run in both 2wd & 4wd
Other than a shameless plug for AKA, how does your tire choice/suggestion for an outdoor track in Australia help a guy who's 99.9% most likely going to be running indoors? Considering he lives in Indiana and it's November..?..

You may as well have said "My Arrowmax, LMR equipped Yokomo's run great on AKA tires. Thanks Ryper Hobbies."

You guys crack me up
Ashamed? Not even a little! In bold. The fact that the OP has posted letting us all know he's running on carpet validates my whole point even more. It doesn't matter if someone is bashing, practicing, racing, or whatever. You CAN NOT give a valid, relevant tire recommendation without knowing what surface they're running on, period. Your buddies post was USELESS to the OP and had ZERO value.

If a guy in Texas asks what tires he should put on his full size truck (with ONLY him knowing that it will never leave the pavement). Should I suggest he buy a set of deep lug all terrain tires simply because where I live they work/are needed this time of year?? Ya, didn't think so

Very petty of a moderator to jump on someone like this.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

This thread is literally everything that makes up Rctech. First reply is informative, fact based, and perfect. Thread should be over pretty much, right there.

Then from there it goes right off the deep end when the direct customers show up. The record didn't get broken, I think right now it's sitting at 4 posts. However, the guy recommending an outdoor tire for indoor carpet is CLASSIC. I love you guys, I love this place. You make my signature even more true.

A level headed response is what was given in the first post.

"We can't make a choice for you, because we don't race at your local track, you need to speak with the locals."
Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Very petty of a moderator to jump on someone like this.
Petty is a very interesting word. I don't find it petty at all to denounce a poster for recommending and giving horrible advice. If you asked about how to adjust ball diffs, and I told you, "Lock that bad boy down and forget about it forever". Wouldn't you be a little upset if you saw someone else giving horribly inaccurate and bad information?

If I ran the place, I'd address it immediately. You can't run a website that continues to be filled with bad information like what was recommended. I'm still laughing, out door tires for indoor carpet.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
Petty is a very interesting word. I don't find it petty at all to denounce a poster for recommending and giving horrible advice. If you asked about how to adjust ball diffs, and I told you, "Lock that bad boy down and forget about it forever". Wouldn't you be a little upset if you saw someone else giving horribly inaccurate and bad information?

If I ran the place, I'd address it immediately. You can't run a website that continues to be filled with bad information like what was recommended. I'm still laughing, out door tires for indoor carpet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2 View Post
For an outdoor dirt track the AKA Impact and Rebar is all I run in both 2wd & 4wd

The guy simply said the tire he likes to run, his preference.... flaming someone for that?
Old 11-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2 View Post

The guy simply said the tire he likes to run, his preference.... flaming someone for that?
It's easy. Give bad information to someone, and be ready for your prize.

If poster doesn't give enough information for you to reply with anything worth reading, then don't bother.

Just continues to make my signature more true. People love to give advice, but usually, it's bad advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.