Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires so many choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tires so many choices

I am getting a B5M factory lite kit soon and was looking for suggestions on what tires to run. I have been doing my research and understand that tires are very much based off of your running surface. I have never driven a buggy, also pretty new to the rc hobby. I am looking for a tire that will have good durability to get used to driving the car. I plan on racing it eventually and i know then I will be buying more track specific tires. For now tho something that will have a good run length on them is what I am looking for. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can only look up so much, always nice to have peoples first hand experiences. Thank you
Old 11-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bsmed
I am getting a B5M factory lite kit soon and was looking for suggestions on what tires to run. I have been doing my research and understand that tires are very much based off of your running surface. I have never driven a buggy, also pretty new to the rc hobby. I am looking for a tire that will have good durability to get used to driving the car. I plan on racing it eventually and i know then I will be buying more track specific tires. For now tho something that will have a good run length on them is what I am looking for. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can only look up so much, always nice to have peoples first hand experiences. Thank you
If you are planning on driving it around your local track, you will need to ask what tires are best at your local track. The brand, model, and compound differs greatly from track to track. What works at track A, might not work in the slightest, at track B, even with a similar surface.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For clay tracks barcodes or dirtwebs are always a safe choice, closed cell in the rear, rear open cell in the front.

For Astro it is Schumacher mini spikes and LP cut staggers, open cell rear, no insert front, yellow compound

For carpet it is LP cut stagger front no insert and Schumacher mini pins rear, open cell or closed cell insert, again, yellow compound.

Cant help you on low grip surfaces, have not raced those in 20 years.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

You said it yourself, '...understand that tires are very much based off of your running surface'.

You really want the right tire for the surface you are running on. It makes a huge difference. You did not specify what you are running on, and, there is no 'one tire fits all'.

You really want the right tire for your track in order to get the most out of your buggy, to learn how the buggy feels, and what it can do in corners and over jumps.

Either provide more information about the track, or ask your fellow track mates which tire works best.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

at a minimum, you may be able to pick a tire with a bit more tread to it that could still work, but still will need to ask at your local track for what works in the first place.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For an outdoor dirt track the AKA Impact and Rebar is all I run in both 2wd & 4wd
Old 11-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony2
For an outdoor dirt track the AKA Impact and Rebar is all I run in both 2wd & 4wd
Other than a shameless plug for AKA, how does your tire choice/suggestion for an outdoor track in Australia help a guy who's 99.9% most likely going to be running indoors? Considering he lives in Indiana and it's November..?..

You may as well have said "My Arrowmax, LMR equipped Yokomo's run great on AKA tires. Thanks Ryper Hobbies."

You guys crack me up
Old 11-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer1812
Other than a shameless plug for AKA, how does your tire choice/suggestion for an outdoor track in Australia help a guy who's 99.9% most likely going to be running indoors? Considering he lives in Indiana and it's November..?..

You may as well have said "My Arrowmax, LMR equipped Yokomo's run great on AKA tires. Thanks Ryper Hobbies."

You guys crack me up

I take offence to that. Plug? I'm not helped by those companies I buy them from a hobby shop.

The bloke never stated where he was going to be racing and what surface so yes if running an outdoor track those I tires I suggested would be a good start and get around the track quickly REGARDLESS OF GEOGRAHICAL LOCATION.

It people like you that that just assume and then shoot your mouth off that cause all the issues at the race track.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

You guys crack me up

Ohh I just saw you were an RCtech moderator..... That's great! So the people who are try to promote the site and the hobby are now the people talking negative to guys who try and help people.

GIVE YOURSELF AN INFRACTION!!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fivepointnine

Cant help you on low grip surfaces, have not raced those in 20 years.

You guys crack me up

So why did 'fivepointnine' talk about clay and low traction surfaces then if it was "99.9% most likely to run on high tracking surfaces"???

So considering most of the tracks I race on are low traction I thought I would throw in what works for me and a lot of guys here.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Meh.... Go to the track, ask what they run, buy them, break the in and have fun. ALL tire manufacturers have something that will work for a specific condition.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Meh.... Go to the track, ask what they run, buy them, break the in and have fun. ALL tire manufacturers have something that will work for a specific condition.
Yeah if you have an existing track go talk to them and steal their recommendation.

We started a track from scratch and searching for the hot tire when nobody knows what the conditions will turn out to be is a huge pain. Avoid going through those troubles if you can. I travel pretty far to any other track, most owners are not shy about telling you via e-mail what the hot tires are.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Ohh I just saw you were an RCtech moderator..... That's great! So the people who are try to promote the site and the hobby are now the people talking negative to guys who try and help people.

GIVE YOURSELF AN INFRACTION!!!!
If you notice that guy is sponsored by AKA, it's just funny that only AKA tires were mentioned... Come on that's funny... Relax...
A movie quote comes to mind: Lighten up Francis!

To actually help the OP though...
Some good practice tires not knowing where the practice will occur:
Proline Holeshots
JConcepts Bar Codes
AKA Rebars
Proline Bow Ties
Proline Blockades
Hot Bodies Beams
Proline Suburbs

Anything with a lil more tread will last longer and go with a medium compound to help with tread life, may not "Hook-up" as well as softer compounds but will last longer.

Hope this list helps. Front tires you cant go wrong with simple ribs.
Attached Thumbnails Tires so many choices-hulka.gif  

Last edited by thecman26; 11-21-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

I have been doing my research and understand that tires are very much based off of your running surface.

I have never driven a buggy, also pretty new to the rc hobby. I am looking for a tire that will have good durability to get used to driving the car.

I plan on racing it eventually and i know then I will be buying more track specific tires. For now tho something that will have a good run length on them is what I am looking for.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can only look up so much, always nice to have peoples first hand experiences. Thank you

You guys crack me up
So racer1812- you need to read the original post.

The guy has never driven a buggy and wants a tire that has good durability. So in 2wd mod I get a 2.5 club days out of a set of soft rebars and they provide grip until they are bald.

So good recommendation I would say
Old 11-21-2015, 07:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

So racer1812- you need to read the original post.

The guy has never driven a buggy and wants a tire that has good durability. So in 2wd mod I get a 2.5 club days out of a set of soft rebars and they provide grip until they are bald.

So good recommendation I would say
I would HOPE a new racer wouldn't start out in mod!
Rebars are a good practice tire for sure and will last a REALLY long time on a stock buggy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.